Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest ElCid

If we'd signed some new players I'd find it much easier to join in with criticism of Benitez. The c***s running the club took an unnecessary risk yet again, I'll never get behind their decision making when it comes to ignoring the manager regarding the needs of the squad. Any manager, but particularly this one.

Yes he should of been backed but let's not forget he has spent 50 million which is crazy amount for the Championship. The problem is the formation, team selection and tactics are not right and have not been for months so yes criticism and questioning are justified.

We sold all our best players and walked away with a 30 million profit.

Imagine where we would be if we didn't replace anyone.

And he still spent 50 million to replace them which by Championship standards is unreal so your point is?

If we'd signed some new players I'd find it much easier to join in with criticism of Benitez. The c***s running the club took an unnecessary risk yet again, I'll never get behind their decision making when it comes to ignoring the manager regarding the needs of the squad. Any manager, but particularly this one.

Yes he should of been backed but let's not forget he has spent 50 million which is crazy amount for the Championship. The problem is the formation, team selection and tactics are not right and have not been for months so yes criticism and questioning are justified.

Very close to administration.

Indeed and definitely not anywhere near promotion.

He can't turn water into wine.

We have been awful since January, the manager has to take a sizable chunk of flak for that imo.

Because he's Rafa Benitez doesn't mean he's perfect, hopefully we'll still go up and he'll be backed in the summer and we'll go from there.

And he still spent 50 million to replace them which by Championship standards is unreal so your point is?

I give up.

I want to know why there were so many changes, why we were so lacklustre and low on quality and effort, why he thought those subs made sense and what he's going to do about our form which has us nosediving into the playoffs as things stand. All valid criticisms IMO.

The problem is however that this goes beyond purely today's game and there's a more valid criticism of the way we've been playing for months now, even though you've been insisting on here that we've been playing well. Our modus operandi is attempting to grind out narrow results, in a way that more often than not has had me either bored fucking shitless or frustrated and on the edge of my seat.

There's only so much you can do with a rigid system lacking width or movement, and relying on a prolific striker and a watertight defence. This has finally blown up in our faces as the pressure of the season has cranked up, but honestly it's been threatening for a while.

There's an argument to be made that we lack the personnel to play a more expansive way, and I am inclined to agree with that, as I posted on here a couple of weeks ago. I don't however think that a rigid 4-2-3-1 is the ONLY fucking option we have. Rafa has been taking the piss with his stubbornness and way of playing and honestly if we do end up not going up there has to be serious questions asked of his position. That said, that's IF we don't go up.

Rafa is stealing his wage at this moment in time. Agree with pretty much all that was posted. The football is shite and now results are matching performance.

That was embarrassing today.

Give it a rest man! Name another manager who would have had this squad promoted this season?

"the formation is the problem" is the most Champ Man Manager response ever like, we don't need to constantly pretend we have any fucking clue what we're going onabout yee kna. In laymans terms we've been completely shite since just before Chrismas, we could easily have picked up less points playing the beloved 4-4-2.

Atsu and Ritchie is a partnership that people get hard over yet they were again absolute fucking rubbish.

Guest ElCid

I give up.

Yeah I think you should

Guest ElCid

We have been awful since January, the manager has to take a sizable chunk of flak for that imo.

Because he's Rafa Benitez doesn't mean he's perfect, hopefully we'll still go up and he'll be backed in the summer and we'll go from there.

Exactly

"the formation is the problem" is the most Champ Man Manager response ever like, we don't need to constantly pretend we have any fucking clue what we're going onabout yee kna. In laymans terms we've been completely shite since just before Chrismas, we could easily have picked up less points playing the beloved 4-4-2.

Atsu and Ritchie is a partnership that people get hard over yet they were again absolute fucking rubbish.

Good point, that midfield four today was probably everyone's choice and yet we got shafted. But I'm sure it's because he told them not to attack...

Guest neesy111

The squad clearly isn't suited to the formation that he loves to play.  The number 10 position has turned into a complete farce imo, Diame and Perez are terrible in it.

Good point, that midfield four today was probably everyone's choice and yet we got shafted. But I'm sure it's because he told them not to attack...

:thup:

What formation are we really suited to? It's either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, IMO. Perhaps 4-4-2 with Gayle but we're already very leggy in midfield. There are far bigger factors.

The spend point is an annoying one. He pretty much overhauled an entire squad and then some. Naturally, there's a lot of massive risk in that because you're getting a lot of players at once which is an unknown.

I'd argue that a flat midfield 4 is probably the issue to begin with, more and more teams are going away from it for a reason. But it's what Rafa wants and it's quite clear no combination in the squad is particularly optimal.

Ignoring the Rafa and tactics talk though, i feel like we have 3 players in midfield and attack who are above Championship level which are Richie, Gayle and Shelvey and i don't feel massively confident about them at the next level.

Everyone else in the team have proven across the season they are just not good enough as those 3 players save us time and time again.

The squad clearly isn't suited to the formation that he loves to play.  The number 10 position has turned into a complete farce imo, Diame and Perez are terrible in it.

You'd need a complete reform in the way we play though, it's not just going 4-4-2 and suddenly playing fast and direct. The way we play is tied to who he is, we have to take the rough with the smooth.

We're seeing the negatives of his management for sure, I just hate reading games being deduced to "he should have played x over y"

couple of things struck me today like;

first one as i said in the match thread was the amount of 2nd balls they won against us, it was absolutely laughable and yet we're the ones playing 2 'deep' in midfield to control the fucking game

second one was our goal and the part gouffran played from deep in running to the near post and dragging a defender with him thus leaving space for murphy, this hardly ever happens

i'm choosing to believe that this group of players are just so utterly shit that they're incapable of doing what they need to do because i can't face the alternative

i'm also going to choose to ignore the fact that we'll more than likely not see more than 4-5 new players coming in next year if we go up so shitloads of these fucking clowns will still be around stinking the place up :anguish:

FWIW I fully agree that someone like Wagner could have achieved more this season, but it's not a given, and it's far more compicated than picking a formation.

I just want to see what Rafa can do in the Premiership, and hopefully Europe. If we want to win a trophy there isn't many I'd trust more.

I don't think he'll be here next season even with promotion. I think he's frustrated even  now at the lack of support Ashley gave him in January and thus making this much harder than it should.

agree

Guest neesy111

I don't think he'll be here next season even with promotion. I think he's frustrated even  now at the lack of support Ashley gave him in January and thus making this much harder than it should.

Who's making it harder than it should be?  If that's benitez then that's completely unforgivable.

We should've brought in reinforcements but I don't think there can really be any excuses. The squad we have should've been able to get the job done by now. He's underperformed.

:lol:

Posts like these are incredible.

He's not failed, not for me but imo the football has been utterly awful for a while. The tactics today were terrible, just hoofing it forward to a lone striker is Pardew eye bleeding shite.

He's better than that, the players/squad are better than that imo. Just extremely poor stuff at times.

We should've brought in reinforcements but I don't think there can really be any excuses. The squad we have should've been able to get the job done by now. He's underperformed.

:lol:

Posts like these are incredible.

Posts like that are spot on.