Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I know it hasn't always been beautiful and all that, but at the same time we've lost some momentum with some very important players out for a while here and there during the second half of the season.

He's not failed, not for me but imo the football has been utterly awful for a while. The tactics today were terrible, just hoofing it forward to a lone striker is Pardew eye bleeding s****.

He's better than that, the players/squad are better than that imo. Just extremely poor stuff at times.

I'm not convinced the squad is better that it's performing, not much better anyway. We've got 4-5 very good players, the rest in reality are bang average.

He's not failed, not for me but imo the football has been utterly awful for a while. The tactics today were terrible, just hoofing it forward to a lone striker is Pardew eye bleeding s****.

He's better than that, the players/squad are better than that imo. Just extremely poor stuff at times.

I'm not convinced the squad is better that it's performing, not much better anyway. We've got 4-5 very good players, the rest in reality are bang average.

Agreed, although they're better than the football he has them playing at times (especially since christmas) imo.

I want to know why there were so many changes, why we were so lacklustre and low on quality and effort, why he thought those subs made sense and what he's going to do about our form which has us nosediving into the playoffs as things stand. All valid criticisms IMO.

The problem is however that this goes beyond purely today's game and there's a more valid criticism of the way we've been playing for months now, even though you've been insisting on here that we've been playing well. Our modus operandi is attempting to grind out narrow results, in a way that more often than not has had me either bored f***ing shitless or frustrated and on the edge of my seat.

There's only so much you can do with a rigid system lacking width or movement, and relying on a prolific striker and a watertight defence. This has finally blown up in our faces as the pressure of the season has cranked up, but honestly it's been threatening for a while.

There's an argument to be made that we lack the personnel to play a more expansive way, and I am inclined to agree with that, as I posted on here a couple of weeks ago. I don't however think that a rigid 4-2-3-1 is the ONLY f***ing option we have. Rafa has been taking the p*ss with his stubbornness and way of playing and honestly if we do end up not going up there has to be serious questions asked of his position. That said, that's IF we don't go up.

Rafa is stealing his wage at this moment in time. Agree with pretty much all that was posted. The football is s**** and now results are matching performance.

That was embarrassing today.

Give it a rest man! Name another manager who would have had this squad promoted this season?

I keep seeing this argument put forward. We will never know but for starters I would have thought Rowett, Hughton, Wagner and probably Monk, possibly Warnock and that's just from the championship. Howe, Dyche etc absolutely.

I'm just in from the match. I'm not going to knock Rafa but one point that's been consistently made (especially during Dec/Jan/Feb) was how well Rafa's teams generally end the season through benefitting from rotation etc. That's not the case this year. We are literally tripping over and stumbling towards the finish line in a 100m race. It's touch and go whether we get there, albeit flat on our faces, or we get pipped.

In terms of general observations, we looked absolutely fucked, even in the first half. It seriously looked like their efforts against Leeds just had them spent. Ritchie was as poor as I've seen him, Dummett blowing out of his arse and Shelvey very leggy.

Darlow - Kicking fucking atrocious. Ipswich fans were taking the piss every time he had possession.

Yedlin - not fully fit and as poor as I've seen him.

Lascelles - Shite.

Hanley - Surprised he's been a captain at this level. Shows no signs of leadership nor aggression.

Dummett - Awful Distribution and at fault for goal.

Shelvey - Chronic.

Hayden - not fit.

Ritchie - Even more chronic. At fault for goal.

Atsu - Good cross. Otherwise fucking hopeless. Spent more of the first half on his arse than his feet.

Diame - Fucking lump of shite. Get rid.

Murphy - Bullied by their centre backs.

It was noticeable how many of our players were slipping around all match - particularly Atsu, Darlow and Hayden.

It was also weird how many of our lot were strapped up. Hayden, Dummett, Yedlin, Shelvey and Atsu all wearing those 'Bale Stripe' things.

We're literally patched up and stumbling like fuck. This is what happens when you don't invest in winter window.

This is another misconception imo that is regularly posted on here. We have a small number of players who look good at this level but very good players they are not, even in the championship. Gayle and Ritchie have scored plenty of goals but have often looked anonymous, Ritchie today was very poor. Shelvey has as many good qualities as terrible, the rest are as you say bang average. Clark who was pretty diabolical as a premier league defender has been by far our best player.

I don't think he'll be here next season even with promotion. I think he's frustrated even  now at the lack of support Ashley gave him in January and thus making this much harder than it should.

agree

Disagree. Believe me, it was highly significant that Martin Hardy was the journalist who reported a week or two ago that Rafa will now stay.

It's a long season and we're scraping home, but we showed against Leeds that we have good performances in us. I'm worried but I wouldn't be that surprised if we got 2-3 wins.

that exactly why he should have kept the same team today.

It's a long season and we're scraping home, but we showed against Leeds that we have good performances in us. I'm worried but I wouldn't be that surprised if we got 2-3 wins.

Yeah fair point, I was definitely surprised by the amount of changes. But who knows what the individual reasons were. Guess he thought he could get a result with the team he picked and bring the other lads back fresh for the next match. Using his options and all that.

Guest neesy111

Yeah fair point, I was definitely surprised by the amount of changes. But who knows what the individual reasons were. Guess he thought he could get a result with the team he picked and bring the other lads back fresh for the next match. Using his options and all that.

It's a week till the next match though, i don't buy that at all.

Guest firetotheworks

We should've brought in reinforcements but I don't think there can really be any excuses. The squad we have should've been able to get the job done by now. He's underperformed.

[emoji38]

Posts like these are incredible.

Posts like that are spot on.

You're the forum laughing stock as far as opinions on football are concerned, so :thup:

This is another misconception imo that is regularly posted on here. We have a small number of players who look good at this level but very good players they are not, even in the championship. Gayle and Ritchie have scored plenty of goals but have often looked anonymous, Ritchie today was very poor. Shelvey has as many good qualities as terrible, the rest are as you say bang average. Clark who was pretty diabolical as a premier league defender has been by far our best player.

So the players are shit but Neil Warnock would be doing better?

Guest palnese

Names like Neil Warnock and Alan Pardew should be banned in this man's thread, and the people whose usage of them, if not done in a highly disparaging manner, should be taken to the gallows.

All he cares about is Atsu.

Guest chopey

I don't know if its because Rafa doesnt have faith in his players but his negative game management tactics are really having an effect on how we attack games, we look nervous at the back and switch off at the drop of a hat and are one of only two teams that failed to score against Zolas ridiculous Birmingham team.

Which would make the job Rafa has done all the more impressive then.