Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest neesy111

That's because City are a bit thick, you can get 5 ( at least ) quality players for that amount of money. Factor in the sales and i wouldn't be surprised if Rafa can do quite a lot with it.

No you can't get 5 quality players for that amount.

Van Aanholt went for £14m in January.  He's not anywhere near quality.

3 years ago today a certain bloke said this to me: "Don't ever give up on your club, keep supporting it, it's your club and trust me one day you will get your club back and it will be everything you wanted it to be, Newcastle United is bigger than anyone. It hurts I know, but just keep going, he is only one man, we are a city, a whole population. Trust me."

KK  :smitten:

Guest neesy111

People are totally underestimating the inflation that has happened after 1 season of the new TV deal in place.

Not to be a downer (not about this at all) but £70m isn't a huge amount these days, I mean John Stones went for £50m and he's s***  :lol:

Not disagreeing but even in this age of ever increasing sky money/fees/wages, there are still a class of clubs that will have to pay a premium just because of who they are.  Stones to City being a prime example of them having to pay way over the odds because of who they are.

And Stones is also English, 22 and a full international.

Well this is great news, just seen the title change so I will have to find and read all about where this statement comes from. I never really doubted it to be honest, thought Rafa was playing a bit of politics, the news groups trying to engineer a story and I had some faith that Ashley was intelligent enough to know if he wants his asset to appreciate, Rafa is key to that and the only thing that really makes sesne is to put all your trust in the man.

I don't think we'll get much in sales.

Who is going to pay for Colback? How much is Mitro worth? Murphy?

10m already earmarked for Thauvin. We'll generate 20m easily

Plus Sissoko installments (If Spurs dont sell him  :fool:)

That's because City are a bit thick, you can get 5 ( at least ) quality players for that amount of money. Factor in the sales and i wouldn't be surprised if Rafa can do quite a lot with it.

You realise for every player for 14m mentioned i can mention one for less who is quality? this is not how this works, theres quality players going between 10-15m all the damn time.

Just because people overpay doesn't mean it's impossible to get players for reasonable prices.

10m already earmarked for Thauvin. We'll generate 20m easily

I reckon we could comfortably fetch £15m for Mitrovic, Sels and a couple of others. Some players are out of contract so their wages are freed up. Plus we made £40m in the summer, the accounts openly confirmed that.

Anyway, the actual figure doesn't really matter. All that matters is that it's enough.

Also didn't notice earlier that the statement specifically mentions loans. Reckon we'll be looking closely at a few of those to bulk up the squad at low risk.

The issue with those two are their wages, you could probably get 5-6m for Mitro and 2-3m for Colback, but whether you could find any teams who want them and will pay them what we are is another issue.

Add in as many of Lazaar, Hanley, Krul, Sels, Darlow, Saviet, Riviere and De Jong as possible, signings dependent, and that's enough for a player or two.

Even in January, where prices are always higher, £70m could have bought:

Morgan Schneiderlin, Gerard Deulofeu (loan), Wilfred Ndidi, Mamadou Sakho (loan)

And you'd have around £30m change, even counting in loan fees etc.

£70m + whatever we make from sales + whatever "other means is" is more than enough to build a good, competitive PL side. As has been said numerous times on here, the lower two thirds of PL teams are very overrated and the quality is nowhere near as good as people make out.

All we need to do is bring in 4 or 5 "good quality" players and then upgrade on a few of our backup options (Colback, Hanley, Diame, etc.) and we'd easily be a midtable/top half team.

In his first season at Napoli Rafa signed Higuain, Albiol, Mertens, Callejon, Ghoulam, Jorginho and Reina for around £65 million.

The market has been inflated since 2013, and obviously they could offer CL football, but it shows what you can get for that kind of money. We need to focus on markets not just in the UK but across Europe. With buy-out clauses, expiring contracts etc, you can certainly do a lot with £70 million+ even in today's market. Not to mention some loans to pad out the squad.

Will want a larger squad and sell some at the same time, can see us buying bargain basement quality, loan in's and out of contract, additionally keep those who have premiership experience.

We also have those lot that's on loan who would also boost numbers

In his first season at Napoli Rafa signed Higuain, Albiol, Mertens, Callejon, Ghoulam, Jorginho and Reina for around £65 million.

The market has been inflated since 2013, and obviously they could offer CL football, but it shows what you can get for that kind of money. We need to focus on markets not just in the UK but across Europe. With buy-out clauses, expiring contracts etc, you can certainly do a lot with £70 million+ even in today's market. Not to mention some loans to pad out the squad.

Not a bad list of players, that.

You realise for every player for 14m mentioned i can mention one for less who is quality? this is not how this works, theres quality players going between 10-15m all the damn time.

Just because people overpay doesn't mean it's impossible to get players for reasonable prices.

:thup:

Not a bad list of players, that.

Throw in Koulibaly the following summer for £5 million and it's the core of their current side, save for Higuain who was obviously sold for ridiculous money.