Championship Planning

Tiresias

For people that are worrying, this team got promoted last season with Steve Bruce as manager:

746081166ec277965813a52e38d65a79.png

To be fair though, they had that young unproven in the Championship striker who could barely score in the Premier League up front for them. They should have went for a proven striker like McCormack or Lambert and they'd have won the league with 110+ points, rather than settling for his 20 league goals.

Was looking at Norwich's squad today, as I assume they'll be one of our rivals, and their out and out striker options seem to be Cameron Jerome,  Kyle Lafferty and Ricky van Wolfwinkel which are pretty uninspiring

van Wolfswinkel just left to join Vitesse so going to be interesting to see if they go into the new season with just Jerome and Lafferty as their out and out strikers. Can see why they're desperate for McCormack and/or Assombalonga

It's a mystery that Jerome is a professional footballer. Has he ever scored a competitive goal?

Was looking at Norwich's squad today, as I assume they'll be one of our rivals, and their out and out striker options seem to be Cameron Jerome,  Kyle Lafferty and Ricky van Wolfwinkel which are pretty uninspiring

van Wolfswinkel just left to join Vitesse so going to be interesting to see if they go into the new season with just Jerome and Lafferty as their out and out strikers. Can see why they're desperate for McCormack and/or Assombalonga

It's a mystery that Jerome is a professional footballer. Has he ever scored a competitive goal?

Scored 18 last time they were in the Championship.

Barton was only ever effective for us at RW. Routledge was better.

:thup:

Signing Routledge and him hitting the ground straight away pretty much secured our promotion.  He was the best opposition player at SJP that season when he played for QPR

would take routledge now for a reasonable fee if he was willing to drop down a league

Think Barton scored against someone away near the end of the season but he did nowt else iirc

Peterborough away free kick? We were right on line with it and it was a pearler!

Scored 18 last time they were in the Championship.

Jesus did he? Our strikers should get hundreds.

Perez is definitely staying

What makes you sure?

If the Barca interest is in any way true, which I doubt, he'd be their cheap option to add some depth and I think taking into account the other players we'll have sold we'll be wanting a lot of money for him

What makes you sure?

If the Barca interest is in any way true, which I doubt, he'd be their cheap option to add some depth and I think taking into account the other players we'll have sold we'll be wanting a lot of money for him

£15m is the asking price apparently which is pennies to someone like Barca.

Many people seem to be thinking that Perez wouldn't want to go there due to the lack of games he'd get but I doubt the thought would cross his mind when he has the chance to join a club of that calibre. 

If we had your average decent championship manager I'd be worried, but with Rafa, I'm confident. I know it seems like tempting fate but I am.

There are slight concerns in the squad but when you look around you'd be hard pressed to find 2/3 areas of the squad in rivals that are superior. Combine that with the best manager in the division by a long way and it would take a major leap in the teams around us to stop us even coming second.

• 2 weeks later...

So it was described as a wake up call and really there's no other way to put it. I still maintain the championship is poor quality, but we have to be realistic about our own squad. There's very little proven quality in there when you come down to it. We idolise Perez but he was plucked from some Spanish reserve side for £1m a couple of years ago. Our captain couldn't make Nottingham Forest's first team when we bought him. Hayden, Colback, Anita, Hanley....what is it about these players that is going to make them stand out against other championship clubs?

Times have moved on, there's a lot of money swimming about in this league. Everyone can buy promising players, and judging by the touchline, even promising managers. Don't know who the Fulham guy was but he cut an impressive figure. It's hardly panic stations yet, but we need to realise only genuine quality will get us out of this league. We didn't score yesterday because our final ball and finishing was shit. That was the difference between us and all the other championship teams last time we were in this division.

I looked at the bench and didn't see much firepower. We need another big striker. We only have two wingers. Two more would be ideal. Another attacking centre midfielder would be good too. Creativity is a must. Most teams will sit back and we'll have to break them down.

What makes you sure?

£15m is the asking price apparently which is pennies to someone like Barca.

Many people seem to be thinking that Perez wouldn't want to go there due to the lack of games he'd get but I doubt the thought would cross his mind when he has the chance to join a club of that calibre.

Despite not wanting to lose Perez, I can't help chuckle at the thought of two regulars from our feckless relegation squad being linked to Real & Barca.