Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Even if we're in for him, which I highly doubt, why would we be after yet another central midfielder? :lol:

:lol:

We are in desperate need of a defensive midfielder, we only have one and thats Hayden!

Am I living in the Twilight Zone? :lol: We, at least, have Merino for that role as well. You don't really need two out and out Kante types either imo. I just think striker and goalkeeper are far far more pressing.

Can Kenedy really play central midfield?

He was a striker/winger when they signed him, and moved back to left back.

In all of the compilations I've gone through he's been in and around the midfield positions an awful lot and a canny few Chelsea fans on Reddit said that he'd played there. I dunno, I can't say I know anything about him beyond that.

He seems extremely versatile (probably to a point of being an issue, tbf) and a bit of an athlete so it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case. Completely no idea what to expect from him or how he's to be played if we do sign him.

Does he have a snidy European passport or did Chelsea bend the rules to get him?

Presume if it's the latter we might struggle to land him on a permanent deal

Bent rules.

Damn, they get exemptions now?

This kind of practice can and should be banned. If you buy a player you should have to keep them on your books for a year or even more before loaning them out.

Was thinking that yesterday. With Coutinho and Van Dijk kicking off so soon after signing new deals, players should have to remain at the club for at least a year after signing a new deal, be it when first signing or extending a contract. Would probably need some caveats related to age for loan deals, but otherwise if you sign a player, you keep a player.

Coutinho signed a new deal in January and now wants out in August? Ridiculous.

Even if we're in for him, which I highly doubt, why would we be after yet another central midfielder? :lol:

:lol:

We are in desperate need of a defensive midfielder, we only have one and thats Hayden!

Am I living in the Twilight Zone? :lol: We, at least, have Merino for that role as well. You don't really need two out and out Kante types either imo. I just think striker and goalkeeper are far far more pressing.

Merino isnt really a defensive midfielder though is he?

I certainly wouldnt trust Merino to play in a 2 man midfield with Shelvey

This kind of practice can and should be banned. If you buy a player you should have to keep them on your books for a year or even more before loaning them out.

Was thinking that yesterday. With Coutinho and Van Dijk kicking off so soon after signing new deals, players should have to remain at the club for at least a year after signing a new deal, be it when first signing or extending a contract. Would probably need some caveats related to age for loan deals, but otherwise if you sign a player, you keep a player.

Agree. This will also stop Chelsea from forcing their players to sign a long-term contract before they are allowed to go out on loan.

I was meaning the practice of buying a player without any intention of playing or even training them.

But I agree with your point too. Unfortunately, when large amounts of money are involved, people often don't behave well. In all walks of life.

We simply have to sign at least a striker.

Gayle is injury prone, Mitrovic is unpredictable. Then we have Riviere only.

Same with the keeper really. Elliot is fairly injury prone, Woodman probably going out on loan. We need another keeper in.

I think if we got Lucas Perez and Adrian it would be ok. Why that inept specky tosser Charnley takes so long to do deals I'll never know. He's achieving nothing by dragging his feet.

Do people think we'll sign anyone else?

Rafa is probably expecting/hoping to get a keeper and that's why Woodman hasn't gone on loan yet.  The striker situation worries me though, he probably expected to have one in by now and that's why we allowed Murphy to leave.  It makes you wonder far down the list of striker targets we are by now.

It sounds like Rafa's trying for four more, perhaps even five if a miracle happens, but a lot hinges on what he can do to shift the deadwood.

We'll certainly bring in a striker at the very least, as that's the position where we're absolutely bare.

However, as he's alluded to we're now at the stage where we're effectively signing players to improve the squad rather than to improve the first team (signing players we "need" rather than "want"), which means the potential difference they can make to us is significantly reduced.

Ideally you want to be buying/loaning players to improve your weakest parts of the starting eleven, not just to fill a hole.