Group F - Hungary (Q), Iceland (Q), Port (Q), Aus - Hun 3-3 Por | Ice 2-1 Aus

Wullie

But the quality is much better nowadays.

But you can't know that, you haven't seen ALL of the players.

Not sure you need to have seen every single player play to know that the standard of football is generally better.

Flip everyone on the planet puts Cristiano Ronaldo in the top 5 ever, for the simple fact that it's undeniable.

My top 5 is probably Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane and Maradona. Haven't seen enough of your boy to put him up there.

Beckenbauer? Di Stefano? Puskas?

I think many would choose Xavi over Cronaldo too. He most certainly is not "undeniably" in top 5 dude

Cronaldo is top 10 I think, but just scoring goals for fun isn't everything. Especially now in La Liga when 2 big teams have been so dominating for ages..

Not sure you need to have seen every single player play to know that the standard of football is generally better.

Well, you need to have seen every era to judge that. And no-one has. Also, I hate that Nobody has that username, so I have to keep saying "no-one" to ensure he has no comeback. Fuck that. Change it, towellie.

To be honest, even though I see the matches and all, I will never be able to forgive our national team about EURO 2004. I was just 18 by then. I mean, they had no right to do that to me.

Fuck them.

What's the opinion of the Portugese team in Portual, Jotenko? Yous are pretty much identical to us in tournaments (given expectation and the quality of the squad) only a bit better on the eye.

Well, you need to have seen every era to judge that. And no-one has. Also, I hate that Nobody has that username, so I have to keep saying "no-one" to ensure he has no comeback. Fuck that. Change it, towellie.

My father has seen all eras since the mid 50s that he can remember. Says he thinks the 80s were best, but then again that's when he was the most interested so easily rose tinted glasses I guess.

My father has seen all eras since the mid 50s that he can remember. Says he thinks the 80s were best, but then again that's when he was the most interested so easily rose tinted glasses I guess.

The best I've seen with my own eyes was George Best, he was another tortured genius like Jim Baxter or Gazza. Self-destructive. Today's superstars, Messi and CRon, are machines. The game has moved on and so has physicality.

To be honest, even though I see the matches and all, I will never be able to forgive our national team about EURO 2004. I was just 18 by then. I mean, they had no right to do that to me.

f*** them.

What's the opinion of the Portugese team in Portual, Jotenko? Yous are pretty much identical to us in tournaments (given expectation and the quality of the squad) only a bit better on the eye.

People used to be really fanatic about the national team when it was, you know, a team. Now it's a mix of indifference and embarassement about all the hype around Ronaldo. Also, the national team is pretty much viewed as a way to conduct private interests and an obligation to the players.

Let me put it this way: The "real fans" (I mean hardcore club fans) used to be also the backbone of the national team support. There was even an organized support group, they called themselves "Raça Lusitana" if I'm not mistaken. Now the backbone of the national team support is pretty much those softcore fans that hype up for the national team tournaments and women that cry like nasty bitches each time Ronaldo touches the ball.

Still, the whole country gathers to see the matches. Those "hardcore club fans" will still gather to see the games, like myself. But in a very light minded way, even though having some hope in the bottom of our hearts.

I don't know if you can really understand what I mean or if the feeling over there is the same.

And, if you ask any fan in Portugal if he would pick a national team achievement vs an achievement by his club, he will prefer the latter, no doubt about that. I guess it's pretty much the same about you lads.

People here tend to dislike England much due to the cockiness of your fans. But this is a recent feeling, for some reason. I remember when I was a kid I used to absolutely love England, I would pick them in every football game I played.

That's why the EURO 2000 memories are so fond to me. I loved both the portuguese and the english squad. It's actually quite weird that neither of those squads won a single thing!

Yeah, man, that match was epic... Figo, Rui Costa, Abel Xavier, Paulo Sousa, João Pinto, Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Owen, Seaman, Beckham. When we were down 2-0 my father went out of our house back to his automobile repair shop, I came calling him back screaming when we went back 2-2! LOL

Good old days, man. Good old days...

I watched the Ronaldo film the other day out of boiredom and he actually went as far as saying the Portugal team "needs 2 or 3 more Cristiano Ronaldo's"  :lol:

Fair enough it was funny, but what an absolute cockring.

I watched the Ronaldo film the other day out of boiredom and he actually went as far as saying the Portugal team "needs 2 or 3 more Cristiano Ronaldo's"  :lol:

Fair enough it was funny, but what an absolute cockring.

Best part of that movie is when he full on sings "Stay" by Rihanna for the entirety of the song

Flip everyone on the planet puts Cristiano Ronaldo in the top 5 ever, for the simple fact that it's undeniable.

My top 5 is probably Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane and Maradona. Haven't seen enough of your boy to put him up there.

Beckenbauer? Di Stefano? Puskas?

I think many would choose Xavi over Cronaldo too. He most certainly is not "undeniably" in top 5 dude

Cronaldo is top 10 I think, but just scoring goals for fun isn't everything. Especially now in La Liga when 2 big teams have been so dominating for ages..

Who would choose Xavi? I've never heard anyone say that to be honest.

I've barely seen any of the 3 you've mentioned so it's not really fair of me to stick them in a best of list.

When your job is to score goals I'd say scoring goals is pretty important. Ronaldo has done it in Spain and England too. Scored 42 at us in a season. Easily top 5 for me already, and he's not done yet. Him and Messi will be clear 1 and 2 by the time they're finished IMO.

Love that two players like that are around at the same time and I'm at the age to watch it freely.

Strange Ronaldo is always "unfit" for big games these days

He's 31, I believe he's started 48 games. He never gets subbed either. Unless he's bagged a hat-trick he plays full throttle (offensively) for 90 minutes. He plays through minor injuries to score hat-tricks against Eibar. Next season.... he needs to start getting rested and subbed more often. He might only end up with 30 goals in all comps but he'll be physically stronger in May.

Also, you would hope getting older, winning the CL three times might change his perspective. Fans have contributed a lot to this but as much as I enjoy his football, Ronaldo is the #1 reason among professionals for the focus on individual achievements (Messi 2nd in this phenom). I wish great teams were discussed as much as headline players. Even the vital cogs, your Modrics, Xavi, Puyol, Juve BBC etc.