Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

What if it's just that picture of the Queen and Scoular from 1955 on a flag with a simple message?

That would be preferable to something on the Rangers scale I guess. :lol:

Think my concern is mainly the prospect of something divisive affecting the atmosphere. But I've faith in WF to be wary of that, they've hit the nail on the head so many times. 

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Newcastle has always been loyal to the crown going back through the ages. Wor Flags have nowt to worry about, the majority of fans will appreciate any gesture at this sad time for the country.

I’m not sure that reaching for civil war era examples works on that front tbh.  400 years is a long time in politics.  What would ‘loyal to the crown’ look like today?  We’re not looking to cut their heads off?

Always amazes me how an individual or group can build up as much credit as is possible, but there'll still be people queuing up to tear them down the first opportunity they get, even over the most minute of missteps (or perceived missteps, in most cases).

Not saying anyone is immune from criticism, at all, but I just fucking despair at people's mentality sometimes. Gasping to moan or be outraged about something/anything.

Just now, Rich said:

Always amazes me how an individual or group can build up as much credit as is possible, but there'll still be people queuing up to tear them down the first opportunity they get, even over the most minute of missteps (or perceived missteps, in most cases).

Not saying anyone is immune from criticism, at all, but I just fucking despair at people's mentality sometimes. Gasping to moan or be outraged about something/anything.

I think it's pretty clear we're speculating, don't see the problem with debating whether a queen tribute would be a good idea.

The salient point is that there's simply no need for a display related to the Queen at all, it's not relevant to WF or the club. Don't understand the mentality of those who want something so beautifully NUFC specific to suddenly become a more generic vehicle for other kinds of messaging. 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

Think Herron and the rest deserve a bit of slack for whatever the do like [emoji38]

They’ve put a ridiculous amount of effort in to make SJP more nr of the best grounds in the country again.

How do you mean slack though? Surely you think a display is a good idea or you don't?

Of course it doesn't mean WF are suddenly shit, but nobody has said that. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it's pretty clear we're speculating, don't see the problem with debating whether a queen tribute would be a good idea.

Some people are being melts, as usual.

If it ties into the league/club's tribute and is done simultaneously, then I honestly don't see the issue. I don't give a toss about the monarchy, either, for what it's worth. People die every day in far more tragic circumstances than old Queenie did, but I do appreciate that some people actually do care that she's dead for whatever reason.

Just now, Barnes23 said:

The salient point is that there's simply no need for a display related to the Queen at all, it's not relevant to WF or the club. Don't understand the mentality of those who want something so beautifully NUFC specific to suddenly become a more generic vehicle for other kinds of messaging. 

I think it's the fact that we love WF so much that means we don't want to see them make a mistake. It should be pure and about fans supporting their team. 

Wor Flags have been amazing for NUFC, ive seen nothing like it in my time of following NUFC. 

This is where being nailed to a particular set of politics on either side wont allow moments of peace and sharing or being respectful to others. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it's the fact that we love WF so much that means we don't want to see them make a mistake. It should be pure and about fans supporting their team. 

Make a mistake?

a Mistake? In what sense?  As it doesnt align with your view point? What about others? Why should NUFC and its fans all maintain the same views you hold?

3 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

Wor Flags have been amazing for NUFC, ive seen nothing like it in my time of following NUFC. 

This is where being nailed to a particular set of politics on either side wont allow moments of peace and sharing or being respectful to others. 

:thup:

They genuinely can't win here, because if they don't do anything then it'd probably piss people on the other side of the aisle off. There'll be plenty in SJP tomorrow who are gutted she's dead and happy we're (the club) putting on a tribute.

Try putting yourselves in WF's shoes. They'll have agonised over getting the balance right, I'm sure, but it's no easy task.

Just now, Northerngimp said:

Make a mistake?

a Mistake? In what sense?  As it doesnt align with your view point? What about others? Why should NUFC and its fans all maintain the same views you hold?

The point is that it is displaying a political position that some don’t agree with.  Support for the monarchy is a political position - it’s got nothing to do with respecting others.  Making statements on behalf of the support - which is what a flag display potentially does - is going to lead to criticism.

I love those WF displays; it’s always great to see what they’ve come up with. It’s one of the most fantastic, communally-minded things our support has ever done (probably the most fantastic thing, tbh).  

1 minute ago, Northerngimp said:

Make a mistake?

Well they shouldn't, but the point is that it's a particular position that they've chosen to adopt (if they do a tribute to the monarchy).

They've rightly focused on supporting the team and club so far. We haven't seen banners supporting worker strikes, protesting against the cost of living crisis, or that kind of thing. 

I still love WF no matter what they do here, but I think it would be better to stay out of anything that's not football. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The country's head of state of 70 years has passed away. Regardless of political views, that's the fact. I don't give a shite about the monarchy either way but it's hardly controversial that people will want to do something to commemorate it.

Guess the question is who and how much. Sounds like we're already getting a silence and the national anthem from the club/PL.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

:thup:

They genuinely can't win here, because if they don't do anything then it'd probably piss people on the other side of the aisle off. There'll be plenty in SJP tomorrow who are gutted she's dead and happy we're (the club) putting on a tribute.

Try putting yourselves in WF's shoes. They'll have agonised over getting the balance right, I'm sure, but it's no easy task.

Surely if they don't do anything, people will enjoy the minute silence and singing the national anthem, and applauding in the 70th minute if they want?

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Surely if they don't do anything, people will enjoy the minute silence and singing the national anthem, and applauding in the 70th minute if they want?

100% guarantee you'd have at least some people uttering something akin to "Eee the Flags lot did fuck all for Wor Liz, they must hate the monarchy the fucking Marxists". Or griping online, like the other side is doing on here.

I know you live in a bit of a bubble, and that it's intentional on your part, but there are a lot of fucking whoppers that go to SJP every other week. :lol:

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I actually didn't realise how much I disliked this kind of thing :lol:

I think it's because celebrating anything British seems absolutely ridiculous at the moment. Even more so than being about republicanism specifically. 

I think you need to take a break from social media fella, i mean we have problems that need solved pretty much like any western country at the moment but to  say we cant fly the flag or show reflection at the moment of the head of state passing at our sporting events is a bit OTT.