Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

48 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Interesting. As others have said, they're on a bit of a hiding to nothing regardless. A Saturday 3PM game with no Wor Flags could make for a flat atmosphere though.

Atmosphere against palace was shit and that's with flags on the go. Tbh I think the flags every game loses abit effect. Don't think they need to be rolled out every home game

1 minute ago, jack j said:

Atmosphere against palace was shit and that's with flags on the go. Tbh I think the flags every game loses abit effect. Don't think they need to be rolled out every home game

It’s always going to be dependent on the game itself. Look at what happened at the spurs game. 

19 minutes ago, jack j said:

Aye, I wasn't having a dig at WF. The 3PM home crowd tend to be the most hit and miss of the lot. It's been the case for years.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Makes sense to me. I mean I'd be all for ignoring the whole queen thing, but I know there'd be stick for that, and stick for doing a display without the queen. And obviously I'd hate if there was a display for the queen. This seems a good way of largely keeping out of it, maybe pissing people off a bit but noone's on any side is going to be massively pissed off (well...)

12 hours ago, Rich said:

:thup:

They genuinely can't win here, because if they don't do anything then it'd probably piss people on the other side of the aisle off. There'll be plenty in SJP tomorrow who are gutted she's dead and happy we're (the club) putting on a tribute.

Try putting yourselves in WF's shoes. They'll have agonised over getting the balance right, I'm sure, but it's no easy task.

We absolutely have and there's been a lot of heated discussion in the group this week. From a purely selfish, group perspective I cannot wait for next weeks fixture so this weeks is put to bed with the display debate too. I don't think people realise the effort it's taken to simply 'sit on the fence for this one"... 

12 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I actually didn't realise how much I disliked this kind of thing :lol:

I think it's because celebrating anything British seems absolutely ridiculous at the moment. Even more so than being about republicanism specifically. 

It may seem that way but there's always plenty to be proud of being British. People are selective in their story telling that's all.

It's harder to be proud of being British nowadays though, for fear of some outlandish lefty criticism.

Just my opinion as a patriotic centre lefty. 

8 minutes ago, robm said:

Absolute bollocks.

Out of all the royal stuff I have heard this is the one that broke me.  Literally saying that the queen is more important than LGBTQ rights and support?  Is the Queen more important than racism also?

12 hours ago, finnab said:

The great thing about Wor Flags is that it brings everyone together but this will cause division. Its a huge mistake and totally unnecessary given there is already a minutes silence/national anthem. I think there'll be a lot of people unhappy with where their donations are going and could be a backlash. What a shame.

:lol:

12 hours ago, PRL said:

Most of the country are not overtly political, and it's incredibly clear from the reaction that this transcends politics. There's plenty of pros and cons to argue in relation to monarchy; politically, economically, ethically and beyond. But I think you can say fairly definitively that most people in the country do not feel negatively towards the Queen herself, that most wish to pay respect to our Head of State who spent 70 years serving the country. I don't see that as controversial at all, like I don't see any issue with the recommencing of a debate regarding monarchy commencing in the coming weeks, particularly with Charles in charge, I just don't think those on the republican side of said debate do themselves many favours using an old lady's death as a negative trigger.

As mentioned above, Wor Flags are in an utter catch 22 here, but may feel on balance that more folk who donate or who make the decisions within WF would like to see a tribute than not. Unfortunately I've no idea if that's true or not, but I trust them to make the right decision, and if they put on a display I don't deem it as political (going down that rabbit hole you could argue that no display in and of itself is a political statement). I don't expect this to open floodgates to party political flag displays or religious banners, simply an acknowledgement of the longest serving public servant in the history of our nation, which won't happen again in any of our lifetimes.

Bang on. 

10 minutes ago, robm said:

Absolute bollocks.

:lol: A group who are regularly ridiculed still today and have been oppressed throughout history purely because of who they like shagging are indeed far less important to commemorate/made to feel welcome than an unelected monarch sitting in palaces whilst many in this country go cold and starving. There's a good, true and proper patriot. Had your vaccine yet?

FWIW I'm glad to be moving past this after tomorrow. Given the Brentford game is near enough a year to the day since the takeover I can't wait to see what yous have planned for then and we can get back to the main matter of the absolutely amazing work this group does in SJP and has been doing for ~6 years now. :thup: @Heron

15 minutes ago, Heron said:

It may seem that way but there's always plenty to be proud of being British. People are selective in their story telling that's all.

It's harder to be proud of being British nowadays though, for fear of some outlandish lefty criticism.

Just my opinion as a patriotic centre lefty. 

That sentence fell off a cliff in the second half like. :lol: We're undeniably in the shit in loads of ways, I don't think you need to be anywhere near left wing to recognise that.

We are literally a laughing stock in the world for voting for Brexit.  Also hard to get excited/proud be British when I have been to loads of much better countries.

Suppose we make good TV shows like downtown abby.

Edited by Slim