Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

I'm sure I speak for the other lads and lasses in the fact that in no way are we personally looking for national exposure in fact the very opposite , we would if possible like to remain largely anonymous.

We would like our flags and displays to be covered nationally and hopefully internationally one day but purely just mentioned simply as Newcastle fans not any particular group. Not wanting to annoy anyone but all this talk of branding is ridiculous, we're not looking to sell masses of merchandise and make huge profits we just want to make flags! We're now painting banners and flags ourselves so the money needed is nowhere near what the large surfers and old shirts cost, for example the 'we are united' surfer cost £3200, the Rafa banner in Spanish cost £400 and  that includes 30 poles (£250) that can be used again thus reducing the cost of the next banner display significantly.

There is talk of producing badges and some prints etc to keep funds flowing and some of the lads in Block V have produced some scarves for fans who stand in this area to buy. Another quiz is being talked about aswell. I can assure you this will not 'fizzle out' as we all have a passion for it and have some ideas that if the club allow will be amazing. Yes we need donations to continue but I'll be amazed if fans say they love the displays but will not donate simply because the name of the group of lads and lasses who make the displays have a shit name !

Again we're totally transparent and are not a closed group and if any of you want to join in all this flag malarkey just get in touch, it's fun and you get to walk down the tunnel every time we go in!!

Good explanation, thanks  :thup: I don't actually have anything against the name just think it's a shame it's had to be changed at all really.

If we see more displays of the same quality thats the main thing, great work.

Just call it St James' Flags.  Then each stand can have a division of it which can be donated to.    The Gallowgate can be St James' Flags - Gallowgate,  Leazes can be St James' Flags - Leazes. etc etc etc.  All separate groups but can be linked in other ways.

Problem solved

Guest Howaythetoon

Just call it St James' Flags.  Then each stand can have a division of it which can be donated to.    The Gallowgate can be St James' Flags - Gallowgate,  Leazes can be St James' Flags - Leazes. etc etc etc.  All separate groups but can be linked in other ways.

Problem solved

Problem solved

There is no problem other than the one a handful of people on here (who let's be honest don't matter anyway in the grand scheme of things) are trying to create.

Problem solved

:thup:

Guest reefatoon

Who gives a shite about the name, let's just enjoy the tremendous work that is being done with these flags and banners.

Starting to come across like a bunch of quiche lovers. Can we acronym a name into clitoris too?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dUpheH9JYe4/TreYASRpiwI/AAAAAAAANC0/pN6bSmGsr1U/s1600/hippie%2Brimmer.jpg

Problem solved

There is no problem other than the one a handful of people on here (who let's be honest don't matter anyway in the grand scheme of things) are trying to create.

I love the negative imagine you paint of this place. Yet you are on here every day and night  :lol:

Problem solved

I love the negative imagine you paint of this place. Yet you are on here every day and night  [emoji38]

True. Hates the place with every fibre of his being yet can't stay away.

The displays have been fantastic. You can only do something this big with organization, and any organization is going to have some kind of committee where you'll get differences of opinion. The main thing is to keep the thing focused on what it was set up for and not allow distractions take over. I think this name change qualifies as a distraction and nothing more.

On the whole, I believe matchgoing fans are a major factor in us having Rafa Benitez and feel grateful to them for their part in the club's revival.

Guest Howaythetoon

Isn't Wallsendmag the kid who would slag people for not going to games only to slag them later for not boycotting? I'm sure Wullie pulled him out on it all with a majestic post...

Guest neesy111

Isn't Wallsendmag the kid who would slag people for not going to games only to slag them later for not boycotting? I'm sure Wullie pulled him out on it all with a majestic post...

:lol: :lol: :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

The name is massively important, maybe not so much to us fans but in order for this to be able to grow and gain/keep national publicity etc. Marketing and brand identity is huge.

But whats the point in gaining national publicity only to change the name days later? Massive own goal and seems very petty from the "owners" of the name.

I may be missing something here but why do we need national publicity on this? These flags are for us, if visiting fans or people on TV like what they see then great, they'll tell their friends the atmosphere at st james' is fantastic. I really know know why the name is that important.

Despite my point, I also don't like the new name!

It's just people overthinking things and trying to make out it should be something it doesn't really need to be.

What it is, is a relatively small group of people organising displays which they ask other people to join on with once they're in their seats before kick off, whether that be holding up your own flag or banner, maybe one that's been left beside your seat, or passing one of the huge surfer flags over your head.

If they have any new displays planned whereby they need to raise money for materials they advertise through their social media pages and in the past the likes of NUFC.com and the Chronicle have also helped to publicise this.

As far as I am aware they don't want to turn it into a huge brand that gets Nationwide exposure which is one of the reasons they didn't want the club to get involved in an official capacity other than allowing them stadium access and storage space.

I'm sorry, but when you start asking for donations you cannot simply be "just a small group of people", it has to be credible 100% all the way as GF have been and it starts from the name upwards for me. Bear in mind you will be dealing with the club, the media and fellow fans so aye the name is massively important. It won't stop people holding a flag up or patting people on the back as a gesture of well done etc. but it may stop people donating and will definitely be a decider as to whether the media pick it up and go with it.

Anyway, that's all besides the point, it is a shitty name, a kid could come up with better. Honestly, there are hundreds of better names to choose from, ditch it man.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm sure I speak for the other lads and lasses in the fact that in no way are we personally looking for national exposure in fact the very opposite , we would if possible like to remain largely anonymous.

We would like our flags and displays to be covered nationally and hopefully internationally one day but purely just mentioned simply as Newcastle fans not any particular group. Not wanting to annoy anyone but all this talk of branding is ridiculous, we're not looking to sell masses of merchandise and make huge profits we just want to make flags! We're now painting banners and flags ourselves so the money needed is nowhere near what the large surfers and old shirts cost, for example the 'we are united' surfer cost £3200, the Rafa banner in Spanish cost £400 and  that includes 30 poles (£250) that can be used again thus reducing the cost of the next banner display significantly.

There is talk of producing badges and some prints etc to keep funds flowing and some of the lads in Block V have produced some scarves for fans who stand in this area to buy. Another quiz is being talked about aswell. I can assure you this will not 'fizzle out' as we all have a passion for it and have some ideas that if the club allow will be amazing. Yes we need donations to continue but I'll be amazed if fans say they love the displays but will not donate simply because the name of the group of lads and lasses who make the displays have a s*** name !

Again we're totally transparent and are not a closed group and if any of you want to join in all this flag malarkey just get in touch, it's fun and you get to walk down the tunnel every time we go in!!

I applaud you and everyone else behind all of this, either as GF or that shitty name and what you say is all positive stuff and to be honest fair enough. But don't be afraid of being a brand and becoming more than a few mates with flags type group. SJP needs proper representation and GF have shown just what can be achieved. Its a brand in its own, I'm sure that tit Mick Martin is more than aware of that and why he's took his ball home the t***.

Anyway, I wasn't at all serious about not donating or doing my part because of the name, as much as I dislike it, anything is better than nowt and I'm all for a more positive atmosphere at SJP and a visual support of the manager, players and the club's history etc. because it f***ing works and helps massively and we all want a club and team to be proud of.

Back on point, again don't be afraid to become a brand. Look at the alternative NUFC kit launched by fans, there is a market if you like and I'm sure fans would buy badges, hats and even flags themselves to display at home.

Anyway best of luck and if you produce a flag/flyer or whatever they care called that celebrates Hughie Gallacher I'd happily donate good money to that.

Have to plant my flag on the side of not caring what the name is, who runs it, who's having petty squabbles with who about it as long as they keep putting up some flags each game and the occasional spectacular.  When the flags have been shown on TV or in the media, do they even mention the name?  Or is it just "Newcastle fans show their support with huge Rafa banner"?  Think these guys are getting a disproportionate amount of grief over pretty trivial things when they've put a lot of work into what's been a fantastic project, and I don't want them to feel like packing it in because of some forum drama.

If Wallsendmag was a shoe, he'd be a flip-flop.

If you weren't all that serious about not donating because of the name then I wasn't all that serious when I was slagging off people for not boycotting games then. Quite easy this!

Nice to see how silly you feel for saying you wouldn't donate cos you don't like their name as well with some textbook backtracking  :lol:

Have to plant my flag on the side of not caring what the name is, who runs it, who's having petty squabbles with who about it as long as they keep putting up some flags each game and the occasional spectacular.  When the flags have been shown on TV or in the media, do they even mention the name?  Or is it just "Newcastle fans show their support with huge Rafa banner"?  Think these guys are getting a disproportionate amount of grief over pretty trivial things when they've put a lot of work into what's been a fantastic project, and I don't want them to feel like packing it in because of some forum drama.

:clap:

Tbf I think the name change has been well enough recieved apart from half a dozen or so on here (who don't matter anyway) who enjoy getting their knickers in a twist over the most trivial of things.

Guest Howaythetoon

If Wallsendmag was a shoe, he'd be a flip-flop.

If you weren't all that serious about not donating because of the name then I wasn't all that serious when I was slagging off people for not boycotting games then. Quite easy this!

Nice to see how silly you feel for saying you wouldn't donate cos you don't like their name as well with some textbook backtracking  :lol:

Just flip-flopping away...

Guest Howaythetoon

Tbf I think the name change has been well enough recieved apart from half a dozen or so on here (who don't matter anyway) who enjoy getting their knickers in a twist over the most trivial of things.

'WE' obviously do matter though!

You might think you do but you'd be wrong to make that assumption. From what I've read, save for a few people on here, the enforced name change has been well received with it being incorporated under the Wor Hyem name which has had massive success in a very short space of time.

It's easy to stand there and criticise other people's hard work from a distance and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised that if most of those on here who are criticising don't contribute towards the group anyway whether that be financially, helping set up displays or participating in the Gallowgate on a matchday.

Guest Howaythetoon

You might think you do but you'd be wrong to make that assumption. From what I've read, save for a few people on here, the enforced name change has been well received with it being incorporated under the Wor Hyem name which has had massive success in a very short space of time.

It's easy to stand there and criticise other people's hard work from a distance and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised that if most of those on here who are criticising don't contribute towards the group anyway whether that be financially, helping set up displays or participating in the Gallowgate on a matchday.

I've never criticised anyone so...