Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Guest Howaythetoon

I’d rather he scored of course, but at least he’s getting into them positions. Lack of confidence for me. It doesn’t help players like Gayle being in and outside of the team, same with Murphy.

Guest Howaythetoon

Championship level striker unfortunately.

I disagree. He’s not a top level PL striker, but he is more than capable of scoring goals at this level and another day he could have had 3 today and that’s down to his runs, positioning and anticipation. His finishing was just piss poor which wasn’t last season. It’s not the level that’s beyond him, it’s confidence and other than today, the service. Again he needs to play every week to score goals which is what he’s gonna be judged on.

I was very impressed with him off the ball today, he knicked the ball off his man several times, pressed well, held the ball well and won a good few balls in the air and played well with his back to goal. Had he put those chances away he’d be man of the match with an 8 rating.

Championship level striker unfortunately.

Had he put those chances away he’d be man of the match with an 8 rating.

That is the main problem, His goal scoring record in this division isn't that good and most teams have better strikers, while it's good that he works hard but all of our team works hard, his job is to put the ball in the back of the net especially in games like today and he just dosn't seem to be able on doing that on a consistent basis in the premier league.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's started 7 out of the last 10 games which included a run of 4 games in 2 weeks.

I meant he needs to start every game if fit. He started the season in and out of the team despite being our top scorer last season. He is now a tactical player, used for certain games, tactics etc. He’s not a first teamer or a first name on the sheet. No one is really other than Lascelles. For a striker it’s not conducive to showing best form. He’s ultimately not good enough of course, but he’s our best bet for a goal, getting chances when he does play, but at the moment s lacking confidence. Ironically he scored plenty last season without looking great in general all-round play. Now he looks much better in his all-round general play, but the goals have dried up. He’s been asked to adapt his game for the benefit of the team at the expense of his own natural game which is scoring goals and the burden he has is he must also score goals and that’s what he’s being judged on, unfairly at the moment. IMO of course.

He's started 7 out of the last 10 games which included a run of 4 games in 2 weeks.

I meant he needs to start every game if fit.

If you want us to get relegated.

0.45 - Points Per Game when Gayle starts

1.50 - Points Per Game when Gayle doesn't start

He's simply not good enough, never has been.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’m saying if people want Gayle to start scoring regularly, he has to play regularly, and not in fits and starts which is what has happened this season. Your stats btw, you could say the same for Hayden, for Shelvey, for half the team. It’s irrelevent. Doesn’t mean we are losing games not winning because Gayle is playing or even vice versa. Play Gayle and we get relegated is that what you are saying, or rather your stats? Basically I’m just defending him today. I thought he was a goal threat, a nuisance and generally played really well. Put one or two of them chances away and it’s MOTM and 8/10.

I’m saying if people want Gayle to start scoring regularly, he has to play regularly, and not in fits and starts which is what has happened this season. Your stats btw, you could say the same for Hayden, for Shelvey, for half the team. It’s irrelevent. Doesn’t mean we are losing games not winning because Gayle is playing or even vice versa. Play Gayle and we get relegated is that what you are saying, or rather your stats? Basically I’m just defending him today. I thought he was a goal threat, a nuisance and generally played really well. Put one or two of them chances away and it’s MOTM and 8/10.

He was awful today, 4 good chances, cocked them all up. He's played plenty of football recently. He's not good enough.

He was awful today, 4 good chances, cocked them all up. He's played plenty of football recently. He's not good enough.

He didn't have 4 good chances mind

Guest Howaythetoon

His finishing was awful, the rest was very good. No-one else in our squad would get into those positions to score. I also trust him to score more goals than anyone else in our squad. He’s not good enough long term, but is more than good enough at this current moment in time. Again tuck one or two of them chances away today and he’s MOTM/8-10.

Watching it back now, certainly had 3 good chances.

Guest Howaythetoon

2 headers from memory which someone like Shearer would have burried. The rest from memory were half chances, one from a distance IIRC.

Considering how pedantic you are at times I stand by what I said :lol:

Considering how pedantic you are at times I stand by what I said :lol:

:thup:

2 headers from memory which someone like Shearer would have burried. The rest from memory were half chances, one from a distance IIRC.

Would fancy Joselu to score one of them, never mind Shearer.

Through on goal 15 yards out second half, missed the target.

Small margins but they matter at this level.

Guest Howaythetoon

Through on goal 15 yards out second half, missed the target.

Small margins but they matter at this level.

Well let’s replace him with... oh wait!

Guest Howaythetoon

Would fancy Joselu to score one of them, never mind Shearer.

Not after seeing some of his ‘efforts’ this season. They were shocking headers though. Real powder puff stuff. You couldn’t even blame the pace of the cross or anything.