Matt Ritchie: Released (Official)

Fenham Mag

He needs to play a lot better than Saturday, couldn't really be much worse, costing us the two goals we lost by ! It's either feast or famine it seems with him lately, 2 assists for us against Brom and two assist against us Versus Chelsea.  I highly doubt Rafa will drop him though with Atsu back but he's got to produce positively more the he has lately.

Truthfully he's limited at Prem level, the work rate might be endearing but offers little outside deadballs.

It really isn't though. Once in 3 matches he'll actually get a tackle right and that's about it. Everything about his game apart from some of his freekicks and sideways passes is substandard.

Truthfully he's limited at Prem level, the work rate might be endearing but offers little outside deadballs.

It really isn't though. Once in 3 matches he'll actually get a tackle right and that's about it. Everything about his game apart from some of his freekicks and sideways passes is substandard.

Oh I agree 100%, point being it gives the illusion of him being useful when in reality it's the Dirk Kuyt effect, but at the risk of scapegoating him he's no better/worse than his fellow teammates, whole squad lack real quality sans Shelvey & arguably Gayle.

Guest Howaythetoon

During the first half he was hanging onto the ball and eventually got dispossessed and then started ranting and raving at a team-mate for not coming closer so he could give him the ball, I fucking hate that because he could have played it back, sideways etc. when you are winning and a team-mate demands more and dishes out bollockings it can actually help, but when you are losing and a team-mate does that it gets your back up and doesn’t help at all. He was noticeable poor again and this on the right. Atsu did more in his cameo and must start if fit.

I don’t even think he offers us anything from deadballs either. He was a stand out player for us last season in most games, but he’s not capable of the step up. He may have done alright for Bournemouth a couple of times but I feel like his good games are going to be a 1 in 10 scenario. If Murphy and Atsu can find the final ball (which they are progressing on) then they both should start ahead of Ritchie.

I honestly think that if Joselu wasn’t starting every week then people would have noticed Ritchie’s poor performances more, and when the argument of keeping someone in the squad is ‘at least he’s not as bad as such and such’ then it’s really not good enough.

During the first half he was hanging onto the ball and eventually got dispossessed and then started ranting and raving at a team-mate for not coming closer so he could give him the ball, I fucking hate that because he could have played it back, sideways etc. when you are winning and a team-mate demands more and dishes out bollockings it can actually help, but when you are losing and a team-mate does that it gets your back up and doesn’t help at all. He was noticeable poor again and this on the right. Atsu did more in his cameo and must start if fit.

Yes, that was something I (angrily) picked up on. He had a pass available to him on either wing and he kept the ball telling people to push up in the hope that someone closer to him would become available to him. Not only that but once he lost the ball he ran up the pitch and was our furthest player forward and let everyone else deal with tracking back to win the ball back.

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s becoming a common theme. Perhaps he just needs a rest and is clearly low on confidence. I hate being harsh on him because he was great for us last season and I do like his work rate and character outside of the bollocking of team mates when he’s been at fault, but it’s not working and in Atsu and Murphy I think we have better options for the flanks.

Thought Bournemouth were mental to sell him at the time, clearly Howe recognised that for all his huff and puff, Ritchie didn’t have the pace for the PL.

He's created a few for us at the start, he simply shouldn't be getting flogged to death like he is. Needs rotating out but obviously Rafa doesn't trust any of his other players.