The 2018/19 Betting Thread

Kaizero

It obviously goes without saying that putting £10k into a 2nd account is fucking moronic mind :lol:

the punter bent the rules knowingly, so he can fuck off with the sympathy tbh.

From a legal standpoint he hasn't got a leg to stand on, I'm not arguing against that and I don't think he is either. It's ridiculous that PP have allowed it to happen though and he's right to feel pissed off regardless of how stupid he's been. He's essentially just lost £11k and that's partly down to the bookmaker - they get away with shit like this all the time.

This radge as fuck 'if you can't do the time don't do the crime' attitude doesn't really wash like.

It obviously goes without saying that putting £10k into a 2nd account is f***ing moronic mind :lol:

the punter bent the rules knowingly, so he can f*** off with the sympathy tbh.

From a legal standpoint he hasn't got a leg to stand on, I'm not arguing against that and I don't think he is either. It's ridiculous that PP have allowed it to happen though and he's right to feel p*ssed off regardless of how stupid he's been. He's essentially just lost £11k and that's partly down to the bookmaker - they get away with s*** like this all the time.

This radge as f*** 'if you can't do the time don't do the crime' attitude doesn't really wash like.

But Paddy Power did identify that he had tried to get around the rules, part the way through the game they cancelled his bet. For all you know he deposited and placed the bet just before kick off and they cancelled it within 30 minutes.

Every deposit that flags up as a bit dodgy is independently checked by a person, this takes time hence the short delay in noticing he was trying to break the rules.

It's simply no defence to blame the bookmaker because he unsuccessfully broke the rules and it took them a short period of time to check the information.

It obviously goes without saying that putting £10k into a 2nd account is fucking moronic mind :lol:

From a legal standpoint he hasn't got a leg to stand on, I'm not arguing against that and I don't think he is either. It's ridiculous that PP have allowed it to happen though and he's right to feel pissed off regardless of how stupid he's been. He's essentially just lost £11k and that's partly down to the bookmaker - they get away with shit like this all the time.

This radge as fuck 'if you can't do the time don't do the crime' attitude doesn't really wash like.

I agree on both sides. He shouldn't get the winnings. If anyone is putting that much money into an online betting account and has deposit limits set up I refuse to believe they don't know that they're never getting away with setting up a second account. I did the same with Paddy Power when I'd blocked my account years ago and couldn't be bothered to find out if that ban was up, so just set up a new account. They returned my deposit without any of the winnings and as far as I was concerned I'd just been found out. Shit happens.

Completely understand Hans' point, though. It's a joke that websites will let you get to the point of placing a bet without flagging up such an issue. There's enough technology out there in this day and age to catch people out during the sign up and first deposit processes. Does make you wonder what they'd do if you deposited and didn't win a penny.

It obviously goes without saying that putting £10k into a 2nd account is f***ing moronic mind :lol:

From a legal standpoint he hasn't got a leg to stand on, I'm not arguing against that and I don't think he is either. It's ridiculous that PP have allowed it to happen though and he's right to feel p*ssed off regardless of how stupid he's been. He's essentially just lost £11k and that's partly down to the bookmaker - they get away with s*** like this all the time.

This radge as f*** 'if you can't do the time don't do the crime' attitude doesn't really wash like.

But Paddy Power did identify that he had tried to get around the rules, part the way through the game they cancelled his bet. For all you know he deposited and placed the bet just before kick off and they cancelled it within 30 minutes.

Every deposit that flags up as a bit dodgy is independently checked by a person, this takes time hence the short delay in noticing he was trying to break the rules.

It's simply no defence to blame the bookmaker because he unsuccessfully broke the rules and it took them a short period of time to check the information.

If the deposit flagged then he shouldn't have been allowed to place a bet until it was resolved, or at-least notify him that it has been flagged and they're looking into it. Some bookmakers don't allow you to bet until you've sent in photo ID.

They'll get a lot of bad PR from it and rightly so.

I agree on both sides. He shouldn't get the winnings. If anyone is putting that much money into an online betting account and has deposit limits set up I refuse to believe they don't know that they're never getting away with setting up a second account. I did the same with Paddy Power when I'd blocked my account years ago and couldn't be bothered to find out if that ban was up, so just set up a new account. They returned my deposit without any of the winnings and as far as I was concerned I'd just been found out. Shit happens.

Completely understand Hans' point, though. It's a joke that websites will let you get to the point of placing a bet without flagging up such an issue. There's enough technology out there in this day and age to catch people out during the sign up and first deposit processes. Does make you wonder what they'd do if you deposited and didn't win a penny.

speaking from experience, you usually always get it back, they have to, a huge fine will be given if they don't if investigated

If anyone is putting that much money into an online betting account and has deposit limits set up I refuse to believe they don't know that they're never getting away with setting up a second account. I did the same with Paddy Power when I'd blocked my account years ago and couldn't be bothered to find out if that ban was up, so just set up a new account. They returned my deposit without any of the winnings and as far as I was concerned I'd just been found out. Shit happens.

Aye, as soon as you get past opening the account you think you've won :lol:

It'll have been the same here probably, he'll have assumed that as he was allowed to open the account he was in, as usually they'll block duplicate accounts at the sign up page - I'm assuming he's moved house or put in his GFs address or something. Obviously now he'll just go down the shops and place his bet, but it's a pretty expensive lesson to learn :lol:

speaking from experience, you usually always get it back, they have to, a huge fine will be given if they don't if investigated

:thup: Fair. I'd have imagined it'd be an insanely ballsy tactic to withhold any money in such a situation but you can see how their current process doesn't do much to allay such concerns.

If the deposit flagged then he shouldn't have been allowed to place a bet until it was resolved, or at-least notify him that it has been flagged and they're looking into it. Some bookmakers don't allow you to bet until you've sent in photo ID.

They'll get a lot of bad PR from it and rightly so.

If every deposit/bet that flagged was refused then you would have thousands of punters every day unable to place bets. The bets they wanted to place would then go on to win and they'd kick off. Thousands of bets/deposits flag every day, due to the comprehensive systems they have in place. A majority are completely fine, but they have to independently check all of them.

Whenever you place a bet (online, by phone, in the shop or whatever) you place it and immediately agree to the T&Cs. One of them being that if the bet and/or deposit is found to be against the T&Cs then it will be cancelled.

He placed the bet knowing that he was breaking the rules, Paddy Power have done absolutely nowt wrong and were quick to spot the break in T&Cs as it was all sorted before the games were even finished. Like I said, he wouldn't be kicking off if Monaco didn't win, would he? He'd be happy that his bets were refunded.

Typical problem gambler kicking off because he's probably so badly in debt he needed that win, when in reality he'd have pissed away all the winnings anyway.

"If every deposit/bet that flagged was refused then you would have thousands of punters every day unable to place bets."

What's the stats for this? With new accounts and card changes (where most fraud would take place) I cannot imagine it being in the thousands each day like. As I said, the punter doesn't need to be banned from betting until it's resolved, but they could be notified as to what's going on.

"If every deposit/bet that flagged was refused then you would have thousands of punters every day unable to place bets."

What's the stats for this? With new accounts and card changes (where most fraud would take place) I cannot imagine it being in the thousands each day like.

A bookie released some info not long ago, I'll try find it later when I'm home. :thup:

The systems they have in place flag up all sorts (IP addresses, cards, addresses, names etc.) If you log into an account on someone elses phone (who also uses the same bookie) then it'd flag up. They are over cautious a lot of the time because if even one single bet was paid out which shouldn't have been, it can bite them heavily on the arse in fines.

What's the stats for this? With new accounts and card changes (where most fraud would take place) I cannot imagine it being in the thousands each day like.

A bookie released some info not long ago, I'll try find it later when I'm home. :thup:

The systems they have in place flag up all sorts (IP addresses, cards, addresses, names etc.) If you log into an account on someone elses phone (who also uses the same bookie) then it'd flag up. They are over cautious a lot of the time because if even one single bet was paid out which shouldn't have been, it can bite them heavily on the arse in fines.

Aye fair enough, I'm probably over-estimating their ability to cleanly prevent situations like this tbh.

Guest chopey

The betting gods are fucking me over today as usual, however it looks like all of you's will have the last laugh today with my Huddersfield/Reading double.

Fuck off. :lol:

Fair do's and all that but from a selfish perspective I get jealous as fuck seeing people pull results like that out of their arse.

been inspired.. got one on for tomorrow, €1 returns 101k :yao:

I need to start doing nothing but those kinds of bets tbh. Just a fiver's worth every few days. Keeps me entertained and I waste less than I would trying to be 'clever' with my bets. And if just one comes in? Cracking.