Lack of Physicality in our squad?

Guest neesy111

Not entirely true. Teams will be sitting deep against us, and they will be 10 times harder to break without aerial ability. Playing four midgets up front means we need combinations, runs, deliveries etc to be spot on. They wont be at the start of the season. Mitrovic will add so much to our play.

Our movement was garbage last night and that wasn't helped in the first half by Anita who gave the ball away relentlessly and Colback who is a donkey.  We had no fluency in our play and we will beat teams like Fulham away once we get that.  We need players making runs into space and we need to pass the ball a lot better than we did.

Not entirely true. Teams will be sitting deep against us, and they will be 10 times harder to break without aerial ability. Playing four midgets up front means we need combinations, runs, deliveries etc to be spot on. They wont be at the start of the season. Mitrovic will add so much to our play.

Our movement was garbage last night and that wasn't helped in the first half by Anita who gave the ball away relentlessly and Colback who is a donkey.  We had no fluency in our play and we will beat teams like Fulham away once we get that.  We need players making runs into space and we need to pass the ball a lot better than we did.

Agree that the movement was rubbish. If we try to keep possession, then Colback has to be first to drop from XI. He takes far too many touches and slows the game. Dummett can't pass the ball at all and we had no number 10 on the pitch yesterday. Perez nowhere to be seen

I was sitting Riverside stand just on level with the penalty spot we attacked 2nd half, everytime Janmaat and Ritchie crossed, Gayle was lurking between centrebacks. He has to make runs to near post or something. Not gonna score from there. Mitro's presence will open up chances for Gayle of that I'm sure.

It'll be a problem if we try and play that way going forward. Just sounds like he thought Gayle would have more athleticism and Perez would do a better job linking through the middle, hence all the long balls & crosses, as well as the super defensive midfield.

Mixing it up is a good thing, when you can, but our line up last night should've been about possession and working openings - building moves and quickening passing, rather than trying to force something we couldn't. He has to learn about his new players and how the team adapts to this situation, I guess. We might've got away with last night with Mitro, in all honesty, but he's going to have to switch it up for Gayle's next 3 and that'll need much more midfield balance.

You're probably right - I never really noticed him tbh, the whole gameplan just looked fruitless. At home I think we'll be fine with that forward line when Diame comes in (or Shelvey if Diame takes Perez' place behind the striker.)

They both need to come in tbh. Put shelvey alongside hayden and play diame off gayle. We'll look a different proposition with those changes imo.

They're not the only changes I'd make like,  Anita wouldn't play again for me unless he's at full back, and dummet wouldn't be in the eleven either.

I agree.  Mitrovic and Diame will be huge for us because  they bring a lot of power to proceedings. We lack technical quality in the middle in terms of unlocking a defence. might need to force it physically or via crosses.

Yesterday played out like a lot of last season. No creativity.  No strength.