Brentford manager: Alan Judge won't join Newcastle this summer

Nobody

So is there no other wingers out there other than Knockaert (who we can't get) and Judge (who is goosed)? Two players we've scouted and linked to in the past (Knockaert when he was at Guingamp, Judge when he was at Blackburn). This suggests that we're still working largely within the same scouting network and framework as we have in the past, but with more freedom on age and in terms of being domestically based. I was honestly expecting Rafa to revolution this side of things and have us finding players from a much wider net.

What does that even mean in practice? Suddenly we're going to magically start signing all these FM wonderkids no one has ever heard of? Hopefully we will only be in this league for one season. It often takes foreign players a while to adapt to english football (and given the physicality of the Championship this may be even harder), and our most important concern has to be this season and promotion. Signing foreign players for the Championship who may need time to adapt doesn't seem like a great strategy if we're planning to only be in this division for one season.

last season Judge had a combined total of 26 goals/assists in 38 games. From midfield he was the joint 12th top scorer last season, he had the highest number of assists and was 3rd in the combined goals/assists table behind Andre Gray and Ross McCormack. The season before he only scored 3 goals but had 15 assists which is still impressive.

In terms of Championship pedigree he has more proven experience than Knockeart but as previously mentioned they would never sell him to us in a million years. Broken leg is a concern but if the medical staff are content he will be back to fitness soonish then he will be a good signing.

Seems a savvy move to get him now, as he will be really cheap and interest from others will be less, with him still being injured.

14 goals and 12 assists in the Championship last season. Not complaining at all.

For a couple of million, probably worth the gamble. Getting back to full fitness though is going to be an achievement in itself for the lad. If the signing is purely to supplement the squad rather than a player that we expect to return and are reliant upon him then that's a cocern, but he's replacing someone in the squad who hardly played a game for us in 2 and a bit years for a lot more money, so really can't go too wrong here as long as the price is right.

Guest firetotheworks

Well let's hope its one off unlike De Jong

I don't understand this one, it's not like you can be prone to having your legs broken. :lol:

I don't understand this one, it's not like you can be prone to having your legs broken. :lol:

Well my brother did it twice in the same place. Anyhow, stop being a pedant ye daf kyent; you know what I mean.

Well my brother did it twice in the same place. Anyhow, stop being a pedant ye daf kyent; you know what I mean.

You'd think he'd learn not to visit the same place after the first time.

You'd think he'd learn not to visit the same place after the first time.

It was in the 18 yard box both times, funnily enough.

Don't think he's brought in as our "main" winger signing anyway so lets try and be calm until we know more. I would be very disappointed and surprised if Rafa decided to go with what we have now and wait until he's fit 200 games later. Maybe it's an opportunity that just turned up, with Rafa not against getting another #10 in since SDJ is leaving. We have players who can play there but maybe he sees Diame in a more central area for the long term. Lets wait and see.