Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

34 minutes ago, Disco said:

0-3 and they’re through. Hopefully get a decent draw against a league club from the North in the 1st round proper.

I'd love us to play them in the 3rd round at some point :lol:

18 hours ago, Stifler said:

North Shields today:

’Please come and see us play’

Also North Shields today:

’Cash only!’

Whole thing stinks of a tin-pot club at the moment. Not good.

Edited by Big Geordie

2 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Whole thing stinks of a tin-pot club at the moment. Not good.

I honestly don’t get it. They especially want younger fans in, and I’m sorry but loads of older people either pay by card or via Apple Pay/Google Pay. There is hardly anyone of a younger generation who carries cash now, fuck banks even do digital pocket money accounts for kids.

It’s not just paying for things on card either. North Shields is awash of different food outlets, from chip shops, to restaurants, and bistro bars, you even have the Geordie banger company down the street, heck one of the clubs sponsors is the local butchers. You could get one of those in to do the catering, or even different ones on a match by match basis.

North Shields has 2 different coffee companies who roast their own beans as far as I’m aware, get them to supply coffee over buying a knock off version of Kenco. Put it as part of the matchday advertising. Encourage people to come.

Last year they were getting crowds of 400-500, heck that’s not far off what Gateshead were getting not long ago. There is more fans now who go to their away games then who went to their home games when me & my stepdad went to see them in the early 2000’s, when sometimes it was just me & him at games. This is when NUFC are doing amazingly well, when the likes of Hebburn are wanting to compete at a higher level, South Shields are being bankrolled towards league football, Blyth are leaps and bounds away from them, and Gateshead are 1 promotion away the EFL.

There is people wanting to go to games, there has been people going to games. Get on with it and do something with the ground, show that you want to progress along with everyone else.

Gateshead travelling to Yeovil in R2. Great chance to progress again. 

My two local sides - York and Scarborough - travelling to Chester and hosting Forest Green... should they make it through their respective replays. So chances there as well.

Bloody York couldn't score at home to Needham Market ffs. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

First one in particular...

Stourbridge is a class away day, used to love it with Blyth. Three-sided ground backed on by a cricket pitch and to get into the town from the main station you have to get on this tiny shuttle train.

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

I honestly don’t get it. They especially want younger fans in, and I’m sorry but loads of older people either pay by card or via Apple Pay/Google Pay. There is hardly anyone of a younger generation who carries cash now, fuck banks even do digital pocket money accounts for kids.

It’s not just paying for things on card either. North Shields is awash of different food outlets, from chip shops, to restaurants, and bistro bars, you even have the Geordie banger company down the street, heck one of the clubs sponsors is the local butchers. You could get one of those in to do the catering, or even different ones on a match by match basis.

North Shields has 2 different coffee companies who roast their own beans as far as I’m aware, get them to supply coffee over buying a knock off version of Kenco. Put it as part of the matchday advertising. Encourage people to come.

Last year they were getting crowds of 400-500, heck that’s not far off what Gateshead were getting not long ago. There is more fans now who go to their away games then who went to their home games when me & my stepdad went to see them in the early 2000’s, when sometimes it was just me & him at games. This is when NUFC are doing amazingly well, when the likes of Hebburn are wanting to compete at a higher level, South Shields are being bankrolled towards league football, Blyth are leaps and bounds away from them, and Gateshead are 1 promotion away the EFL.

There is people wanting to go to games, there has been people going to games. Get on with it and do something with the ground, show that you want to progress along with everyone else.

I wouldn't go and watch North Shields if it was for free. Their mackem chairman has a massive chip on his shoulder and couldn't lie straight in bed. If he took me it was Sunday today I'd consult my calander.

That club has had ridiculous amounts of money going through it from their Vase winning season onwards amd where has that money gone?

Nothing at all spend on ground improvements (club house was paid for by lottery grants) and whichever manager has been in the dugout has had a comparatively modest budget at best.

Most the fans have had enough. They were regularly getting 400/500 not so long ago. They had 185 there the other week and it'll go lower than that the worse the weather gets.

Point blank refusing to accept any payment other than cash in this day and age is suspicious at best.

Something similar happened at Bedlington Terriers about 20+ years ago. NL Champions 5 years out of 7 (IIRC), an FA Cup run to round 2 and also a vase final back in 1999 (which I went to) Club should have been awash with money and yet, it didn't take long for it to go tits up. The club haven't really recovered, since.

Just now, Big Geordie said:

Something similar happened at Bedlington Terriers about 20+ years ago. NL Champions 5 years out of 7 (IIRC), an FA Cup run to round 2 and also a vase final back in 1999 (which I went to) Club should have been awash with money and yet, it didn't take long for it to go tits up. The club haven't really recovered, since.

That American bloke who bought them not long after (Rob Rich?) didn't do them much good either I recall. Bought them a great big scoreboard which they couldn't afford to use, and little else.

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

What happened to the rich US guy who bought them a massive scoreboard?

He didn't want to invest - said the club should be self-sufficient. etc. God knows what's happened since.

The days of John Milner bagging 50 goals a season seem a long time ago, now. I 'think' the Perry brothers are back involved with running the club, as they were during the club's 'golden era'. Am not gonna say much owt about that on here though.

Edited by Big Geordie

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

My mate Fergie was managing them for the last few seasons and was doing very well with virtually no budget but left to take up a full time role at Morecambe as head of Academy recruitment.

Terriers do seem to be back on the up - hopefully a promotion push from NL2 this season.