Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Meant to be coming up to Dunston with my local side Grantham Town tomorrow...they've announced a pitch inspection at 8am and sounds like the weathers been shite all week, for yous up there and knowing the pitch I assume there's not much chance of it being on? Real shame as we were beinging close to 100 fans up and many stopping the weekend - and now it'll be rearranged for a shitty Tuesday night when only about 20 will make it, exact same thing happened to us last season as well! 

32 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

Meant to be coming up to Dunston with my local side Grantham Town tomorrow...they've announced a pitch inspection at 8am and sounds like the weathers been shite all week, for yous up there and knowing the pitch I assume there's not much chance of it being on? Real shame as we were beinging close to 100 fans up and many stopping the weekend - and now it'll be rearranged for a shitty Tuesday night when only about 20 will make it, exact same thing happened to us last season as well! 

It's been raining here all week and isn't forecast to stop so I'd not get your hopes up mate. 

Was at a non-league game on Tues a couple of mile away and the pitch at that one was already struggling and the ball wasn't bouncing fully.

7 hours ago, NUFCDoog said:

Fingers Xd for you. Not looking good I'm  afraid. Still raining heavily driving home an hour ago. Had a lot of rain last few days. You never know though. 

Thanks lads - was called off unfortunately! Fingers crossed the stars align somehow and we both end up with a free Saturday at some point, otherwise as i say it'll be a bastard of a trip on a Tuesday night at some point and we'll only bring a small mini bus.

1 minute ago, NUFCDoog said:

Thanks lads - was called off unfortunately! Fingers crossed the stars align somehow and we both end up with a free Saturday at some point, otherwise as i say it'll be a bastard of a trip on a Tuesday night at some point and we'll only bring a small mini bus.

Would it have to be Dunston and not the likes of Ashington, Hebburn, Consett, even Newton Ayclffe?

12 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Would it have to be Dunston and not the likes of Ashington, Hebburn, Consett, even Newton Ayclffe?

Yeah Ashington is the penultimate away game of the season; traditionally we always do a big weekend away for the last one, but that's Winterton in Scunthorpe and theres not much appeal for that [emoji38] so i think we'll all come up for Ashington.

Only reason we chose Dunston is a lass that lives here now is from Newcastle and her Dad still lives there and follows Dunston so plan was to go for the match and then his social club on Sunday etc, we still went last year even though it was called off and was a good craic, just seem fated with this game.

Hope you get to Dunston one day. It's a good little club. Very homely and welcoming. Used to get to a few games there myself before the resurrection of Blue Star. Was quite torn for a while. Enjoyed going to Dunston then Blue Star came back and is only a little over a mile down the road from me.  Almost felt obliged to follow my local club and it's taken a while but my enthusiasm is growing. I've a mate in Worksop btw, not a million miles from you. He's mad keen. Follows them everywhere. Off to Stockport next Sat in the FA cup 1st round so a big day for them.

1 hour ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Hope you get to Dunston one day. It's a good little club. Very homely and welcoming. Used to get to a few games there myself before the resurrection of Blue Star. Was quite torn for a while. Enjoyed going to Dunston then Blue Star came back and is only a little over a mile down the road from me.  Almost felt obliged to follow my local club and it's taken a while but my enthusiasm is growing. I've a mate in Worksop btw, not a million miles from you. He's mad keen. Follows them everywhere. Off to Stockport next Sat in the FA cup 1st round so a big day for them.

Yeah I didn't get to the Tuesday night rearranged last season but will try this one whenever it is. Had a really good time at Hebburn last season so be interesting to see how Dunston is, it's  good craic following Non League, I've been getting more into following Town over the last couple seasons.

Yeah proper good set up at Worksop, went there when Grantham played them last season and aside from the result was a good day out, had a chat to a few of their fans and ended up in hospitality after the match with them, good lads and side and getting some really good crowds. Definitely on the up and have a fair bit if money so it's exciting times for their fans. 

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It seems like they had 2 men sent off, and another in the sin bin within 5 minutes of the game.

Haha Jesus

Wonder what they mean by the neutral photographer leaving as well

Gutted for Scarborough as Forest Green forced a replay thanks to an injury time equaliser. Winners will eventually travel to Blackpool; potentially a TV tie for Scarborough what with the positional gap and the northern seaside towns angle. York at home to Wigan if the shit bastards manage to get through their replay with Chester. 

Ramsgate - from the same division as Sheppey and Cray Valley - go to Wimbledon, so you'd expect that to be on. 

South Shields vs Blyth will be good on boxing day. 3pm kick off after Toon Vs Forest at 12:30 so would be difficult to get across to although not impossible. Monument to Bede Metro about 20 mins. Gateshead Vs York at same time would be marginally easier to get to although I think a worse non league matchday experience and more expensive ticket.

If you're still here for the 30th then the return fixture Blyth Vs Shields is equally worth going to. Blyth is a great non league experience.

In terms of other games I'd normally say go to any Northern League game but to be honest there isn't a lot. Most of them are Saturday 3pms which will clash with NUFC on the 16th. However since you wouldn't be able to watch Luton away as a 3pm anyway on the 23rd then you could do any game that day in theory. I'd recommend Heaton Stan who are at home that day if you did or Blyth Spartans again. Similarly if you are here that long you could do a day trip up to Edinburgh - and Hearts are also at home on 23rd. 

Not a lot of midweek games currently scheduled although this can change closer to the time.

Whitley Bay Vs Sunderland RCA on Friday 15th could be done alongside a trip to the coast. If you did I'd go as well and buy you a pint or alternative non alcoholic drink 👍

Edited by ponsaelius

5 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

South Shields vs Blyth will be good on boxing day. 3pm kick off after Toon Vs Forest at 12:30 so would be difficult to get across to although not impossible. Monument to Bede Metro about 20 mins. Gateshead Vs York at same time would be marginally easier to get to although I think a worse non league matchday experience and more expensive ticket.

If you're still here for the 30th then the return fixture Blyth Vs Shields is equally worth going to. Blyth is a great non league experience.

In terms of other games I'd normally say go to any Northern League game but to be honest there isn't a lot. Most of them are Saturday 3pms which will clash with NUFC on the 16th. However since you wouldn't be able to watch Luton away as a 3pm anyway on the 23rd then you could do any game that day in theory. I'd recommend Heaton Stan who are at home that day if you did or Blyth Spartans again. Similarly if you are here that long you could do a day trip up to Edinburgh - and Hearts are also at home on 23rd. 

Not a lot of midweek games currently scheduled although this can change closer to the time.

Whitley Bay Vs Sunderland RCA on Friday 15th could be done alongside a trip to the coast. If you did I'd go as well and buy you a pint or alternative non alcoholic drink 👍

Newcastle Blue Star could be an option as well. Home on the 16th and 26th. Hop on the Number 1 in town and it drops you off outside. Probably be a fair crowd at both.

18 hours ago, Disco said:

Newcastle Blue Star could be an option as well. Home on the 16th and 26th. Hop on the Number 1 in town and it drops you off outside. Probably be a fair crowd at both.

If I remember rightly the boxing day game is listed as a 7.30 KO too. Best check nearer the time though.

Edit to say NL web site has it as 3pm and Blue Star site says 7.30. Be more inclined to trust NL site tbh.

Edited by Scoreboard82

On 28/10/2023 at 10:37, NUFCDoog said:

Yeah Ashington is the penultimate away game of the season; traditionally we always do a big weekend away for the last one, but that's Winterton in Scunthorpe and theres not much appeal for that [emoji38] so i think we'll all come up for Ashington.

Only reason we chose Dunston is a lass that lives here now is from Newcastle and her Dad still lives there and follows Dunston so plan was to go for the match and then his social club on Sunday etc, we still went last year even though it was called off and was a good craic, just seem fated with this game.

I remember the last time Grantham played at Ashington, in the FA Cup it was. Ground has moved since then though!

2 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I remember the last time Grantham played at Ashington, in the FA Cup it was. Ground has moved since then though!

Christ yeah, how times have changed, lightyears between them at the time and now at the same level, and Ashington above Grantham in the league too. Looked decent when they came here the other week too, finished 2-2 but Ashington had a player sent off and were the much better team. Has been an absolutely disastrous few years and could get worse yet.