Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Posted (edited)

The Brom promoted for the first time ever, Andy Woodman masterminding it. He’s come a long way from eating eggs with Carver and Stone. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Still 2-0 with 15 to go. I was fairly neutral, but as long as they don't do a Marske, it will be good to see another Northumberland member team progressing. Just looking at the Northumberland Senior Cup this year and Blyth and Morpeth both had byes to the QF and there were only 14 teams involved, so a crazy lack of teams at Northern league level or above. I know Durham has a lot of pit towns and villages of circa 20,000, but their equivalent Challenge Cup has so many more rounds.

Hexham have never had a good team in my life time. There was Hexham Swinton and Border Counties in the Alliance when I was growing up, and now there's a 'Hexham FC', but there's never been a team in the Northern League, whereas Prudhoe, whether Town or Youth Club, have had a team for long spells in the league. Hexham is (or was) the administrative centre and biggest town of Tynedale, and if it had a reasonable team they could draw people from Haltwhistle to the West, towards Prudhoe in the East, Bellingham in the North and down to the Allendale/Allenheads in the South, get a few temporary stands at Wentworth Leisure Centre (like what they used to do for the athletics in the Dean Macey days) and get around 1,000 turning up, but even Haltwhistle Jubilee have a much better team, and Wallington. I see no reason why it couldn't have a decent team at NPL Premier level, like Morpeth, but they're a million miles away from that and currently have 8 points from their 27 games in the Alliance 2nd tier.

41 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Still 2-0 with 15 to go. I was fairly neutral, but as long as they don't do a Marske, it will be good to see another Northumberland member team progressing. Just looking at the Northumberland Senior Cup this year and Blyth and Morpeth both had byes to the QF and there were only 14 teams involved, so a crazy lack of teams at Northern league level or above. I know Durham has a lot of pit towns and villages of circa 20,000, but their equivalent Challenge Cup has so many more rounds.

Hexham have never had a good team in my life time. There was Hexham Swinton and Border Counties in the Alliance when I was growing up, and now there's a 'Hexham FC', but there's never been a team in the Northern League, whereas Prudhoe, whether Town or Youth Club, have had a team for long spells in the league. Hexham is (or was) the administrative centre and biggest town of Tynedale, and if it had a reasonable team they could draw people from Haltwhistle to the West, towards Prudhoe in the East, Bellingham in the North and down to the Allendale/Allenheads in the South, get a few temporary stands at Wentworth Leisure Centre (like what they used to do for the athletics in the Dean Macey days) and get around 1,000 turning up, but even Haltwhistle Jubilee have a much better team, and Wallington. I see no reason why it couldn't have a decent team at NPL Premier level, like Morpeth, but they're a million miles away from that and currently have 8 points from their 27 games in the Alliance 2nd tier.

Rugby country ain’t it. Everyone just goes to Tynedale for their live sporting fix which tbf is a great set up. 

Typical Stan performance. Level at halftime and blew them away in the 2nd half. Lots of people there who weren't interested in the game but hey ho. GTFI.

13 minutes ago, Disco said:

Rugby country ain’t it. Everyone just goes to Tynedale for their live sporting fix which tbf is a great set up. 

There'll be a lot more people who like football than rugby in the region. Tynedale RFC averaged 300 last season, and 450 so far this year, so fairly reasonable relative to the league they are in, but not exactly pulling in the thousands, especially when the old district borders had a population of 60,000 20 years ago, so probably a fair bit more now. They were in the 3rd tier of English rugby for a few years about 10 years ago, so amazingly among the top 40 or so teams in the country, but if there was half as much thought and effort put into a local football team then it might actually get somewhere.

7 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Class from the Stan. Fantastic turn out. 

Konners first goal was a belter. 

Absolute peach.

Just now, Paullow said:

There'll be a lot more people who like football than rugby in the region. Tynedale RFC averaged 300 last season, and 450 so far this year, so fairly reasonable relative to the league they are in, but not exactly pulling in the thousands, especially when the old district borders had a population of 60,000 20 years ago, so probably a fair bit more now. They were in the 3rd tier of English rugby for a few years about 10 years ago, so amazingly among the top 40 or so teams in the country, but if there was half as much thought and effort put into a local football team then it might actually get somewhere.

Oh yeah I know, I’m a Tynedale born and raised lad myself but the startup effort needed would be huge so I can see, in a way, why it’s never really taken off despite having the Wentworth as a decent facility ready to be used. 

Plus to get even semi organic growth you need to go big on the youth teams too like the rugby club have, it’s is own community effectively. It’s what The Stan, Prudhoe, Blue Star and others have blended so well too. 

image.thumb.png.32fee74370e7bf32b18630ffe4846b90.png

Probably good news for Hebburn, Stockton and Morpeth, but not so much Blyth, as Macclesfield will be spending another year at least in the 7th tier next season after losing their playoff final today. 5,329 there.

Queued a good few hundred meters to get into the Stan today. 
Was not a single place left with a full view of the game apart from the floodlight foundation block I stood on.

missed the first goal getting money for the bairn to get an ice cream.

Got to hand it to them. Auckland play some lovely one touch football. But once Stan found momentum in the second half. There was only really one winner.

They come out the woodwork for the big games. Done it for last promotion. Then went back to normal.

I am certainly not leaving. No ballot. Choose my viewing area. Every single supporter is class. The club is class and seriously consider the local community constantly.

Pretty much a perfect club. 

Buzzing still. Been thinking about the game all day. Glad they done it. Huge achievement 

1 hour ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Queued a good few hundred meters to get into the Stan today. 
Was not a single place left with a full view of the game apart from the floodlight foundation block I stood on.

missed the first goal getting money for the bairn to get an ice cream.

Got to hand it to them. Auckland play some lovely one touch football. But once Stan found momentum in the second half. There was only really one winner.

They come out the woodwork for the big games. Done it for last promotion. Then went back to normal.

I am certainly not leaving. No ballot. Choose my viewing area. Every single supporter is class. The club is class and seriously consider the local community constantly.

Pretty much a perfect club. 

Buzzing still. Been thinking about the game all day. Glad they done it. Huge achievement 

I went up before 2 and it was already busier than most home games. Hopefully some of those who have come the last couple of games liked what they saw and will be there next season. Two great adverts for the club and football at this level.

1 hour ago, Big Geordie said:

Heaton Stan seem to be everything that North Shield's isn't. Latter had their chance and blew it due to small-mindedness and incompetence.

Even the supporters group that's been recently formed is being plagued by infighting with accusations flying around, people being thrown off the WhatsApp group etc. Fans all threw a fiver in to get it up and running and the treasurer quit shortly after and nobody knows who's looking after the money now! Just seems like a right shitshow, the entire club.

My mate is a season ticket holder there and has been for years but he's started drifting away to watch Percy Main lately (they're actually getting similar crowds to North Shields these days) and he's on about watching them next season cos he's had his fill with it all.

That turnstile that they were donated back in January is still lying in a heap outside their ground collecting rust.

15 hours ago, Disco said:

I went up before 2 and it was already busier than most home games. Hopefully some of those who have come the last couple of games liked what they saw and will be there next season. Two great adverts for the club and football at this level.

Only been to five/six games of the regular season due to clashes with NUFC games and other things but got a big chunk of my street up there for Monday, was a great day like. Definitely going to try and get to more next year. 

26 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Only been to five/six games of the regular season due to clashes with NUFC games and other things but got a big chunk of my street up there for Monday, was a great day like. Definitely going to try and get to more next year. 

Aye I think I ended up going to 10-12 games in total including a couple of aways, probably just pay for a ST next season. I'd say 5-600 is probably the sweet spot in temrs of crowd numbers being big enough so it's not dead but you can still get a pint easy enough and the Q is manageable. They're doing the ground up anyway but assume they'll have more to do to meet minimum standards now. Wouldn't shock me if there's a decent turnover of players too, so much more travel/timeoff involved for aways which I assume not all will fancy.

15 hours ago, Disco said:

Aye I think I ended up going to 10-12 games in total including a couple of aways, probably just pay for a ST next season. I'd say 5-600 is probably the sweet spot in temrs of crowd numbers being big enough so it's not dead but you can still get a pint easy enough and the Q is manageable. They're doing the ground up anyway but assume they'll have more to do to meet minimum standards now. Wouldn't shock me if there's a decent turnover of players too, so much more travel/timeoff involved for aways which I assume not all will fancy.

Yeah loads of work to do. Pitch will need a good sorting out.

i expect season tickets to jump to about £130-£135 but the crowds will still be a canny size as they have always seemed to pull the community in on match days.