Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Quite tempted to go to Consett vs Lincoln United on Saturday.

Never been to the ground, but it's only like 35 mins away, and a very easy place to get to down the A68. Consett are 14th, Lincoln 2 points behind in 17th (and in a relegation playoff spot). If Lincoln did win then they would go above Consett, and if Bridlington and Grantham both got points in their final matches, Consett would then drop into the playoffs (can't fully rule out Carlton from the equation either as they have a game in hand), but a fairly big game, and a point would 99.9999% seal safety for Consett (baring a crazy 15 goal swing from Carlton in their two remaining matches).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_Northern_Premier_League#Division_One_East

Shildon will be hoping Carlton don't get more than 2 points from their final 2 matches or they are definitely down, but it's not looking too great for them anyway.

Edited by Paullow

13 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Superb win for Blyth tonight  2-0 at Farsley, which moves Spartans out of the relegation zone with 2 games to play. :)

One more win would do it. Next up, Alfreton away. Would do well to get a point there.

1 minute ago, TomYam said:

One more win would do it. Next up, Alfreton away. Would do well to get a point there.

Suspect it will go to the last game - Hereford at home. I may well get myself along.

Will be at North Shields on Saturday for their last game of the season. :thup:

Yeah, massive win. A nice unbeaten run going as well.

Leamington are away to title chasing (and only automatic promotion) Fylde, and Farsley host Gloucester who occupy the final playoff spot, so hopefully they are still out of the relegation zone by the end of that round of games, and then home to Hereford the week after who are lower midtable, but safe.

Christ knows what's happened to Darlo. Another defeat tonight so that's only 0W 4D 4L in their last 8, or stretching further back, 1W 7D 7L in their last 15 games - 10 points from 15 is abysmal for pretty much a third of the season. They've got top of the table King's Lynn on Saturday who have won 5 in a row, so hard to see them winning that, and they've gone from potential title challenge to very likely missing out on a 6 team playoff in a couple of months.

I know very little about the set up / expectations / circumstances etc. but you'd think their manager Alun Armstrong would have to be under pressure if they didn't get top 7?

5 minutes ago, TomYam said:

....and if Farsley and Spartans both win a game, Kettering could well be relegated in their stead.

Watched Spenny vs Kettering on Saturday. They were as bad as Glen Taylor was good. Can see them struggling to stay up.

1 hour ago, Paullow said:

Christ knows what's happened to Darlo. Another defeat tonight so that's only 0W 4D 4L in their last 8, or stretching further back, 1W 7D 7L in their last 15 games - 10 points from 15 is abysmal for pretty much a third of the season. They've got top of the table King's Lynn on Saturday who have won 5 in a row, so hard to see them winning that, and they've gone from potential title challenge to very likely missing out on a 6 team playoff in a couple of months.

I know very little about the set up / expectations / circumstances etc. but you'd think their manager Alun Armstrong would have to be under pressure if they didn't get top 7?

Mentioned it in another thread but was on a train last Saturday when 3 very unhappy Darlo fans got on after their 3-0 defeat at Brackley. They fully expected Alun Armstrong to be gone by Sunday. Guessing he's hanging on. I hadn't realised they were struggling so much until I overheard their conversation.

2 hours ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Mentioned it in another thread but was on a train last Saturday when 3 very unhappy Darlo fans got on after their 3-0 defeat at Brackley. They fully expected Alun Armstrong to be gone by Sunday. Guessing he's hanging on. I hadn't realised they were struggling so much until I overheard their conversation.

Hated that guy on champ man 01/02 

From what I've seen they've continuously come across absolutely brilliantly, imo. They've seemed incredibly sincere from day one because they decided not to conceal the fact that this was obviously about creating a documentary. They've been up front from the beginning and just sold the idea that the whole relationship would be mutually beneficial for everyone involved. It's great to see someone like Reynolds lobbying about the structure of the National League too.

I wonder what the finances of the entire operation is like. Given that they only spent £2 mil on Wrexham it seems entirely plausible to me that they've recouped a lot (if not all) of the funding they've injected (not that I think either of them seem like the types to take it back).

Reckon there'll be plenty people desperate to get involved now too. Honestly, this is amazing for Wrexham, they've absolutely hit the jackpot in the same vein that we did with the Saudis.

3 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I wonder what the finances of the entire operation is like. Given that they only spent £2 mil on Wrexham it seems entirely plausible to me that they've recouped a lot (if not all) of the funding they've injected (not that I think either of them seem like the types to take it back).

Reckon there'll be plenty people desperate to get involved now too. Honestly, this is amazing for Wrexham, they've absolutely hit the jackpot in the same vein that we did with the Saudis.

I've just started Welcome to Wrexham. They seemed mortified when they had to relay a brand new £100k pitch for an extra £200k when it didn't work properly within a couple of months. :lol:

Think they learned pretty quickly the hidden sort of expenses involved. Getting brands like Tiktok and Expedia will likely make a fair whack at that level to cover that and the high wages. 

The series is class tbh

I was wondering what the hell even is £100k to them, but I guess they're not looking at it from a Roman Abramovich view, they clearly want to build something sustainable and in the right way......with one or two Mullin style transfers here and there.

Big last day of the season on Saturday in the Northern Premier League for the playoff spots- East Division!

Stockton have already 2nd and a home tie in the one legged play off and Hebburn and Dunston are in the mix to also qualify! 2nd plays 5th at home and 3rd plays 4th at home on Tuesday night with the final next Satuirday!

Hopefully both win and Stocksbridge or Long Eaton slip up so both quality!

Hoping for a good crowd at Hebburn!

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/hebburn-town/league-table

Saturday 22nd April 2023

3pmBridlington TownvStocksbridge Park Steels

3pmCarlton TownvDunston

3pmConsett AFCvLincoln United

3pmGrimsby BoroughvShildon

3pmHebburn TownvCleethorpes Town

3pmLong Eaton UnitedvBrighouse Town

3pmNorth ShieldsvWorksop Town

3pmOssett UnitedvGrantham Town

3pmSheffieldvStockton Town

3pmTadcaster AlbionvPontefract Collieries

2 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

The series is class tbh

I was wondering what the hell even is £100k to them, but I guess they're not looking at it from a Roman Abramovich view, they clearly want to build something sustainable and in the right way......with one or two Mullin style transfers here and there.

Looks like Reynolds is worth about $150m and McElhenney around $50m so it's a decent chunk. Probably like me spending £300 on something I didn't really want to.

Sorting themselves out with friendlies in USA against Man Utd and Chelsea won't do them any harm whatsoever financially either. :lol:

They've marketed themselves brilliantly. Paul Mullin will probably be behind only Pulisic in terms of being recognised due to the show. The club have nearly half a million Twitter followers now (more than clubs like Boro and Blackburn). 

Think it's class.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Aye, to be fair Wrexham is a bit like much of the North East. It’s a town with no real purpose now other than to exist for those who live there, and those people have largely lost their industries. North Wales as whole lost out when the coal mines closed, Cardiff in the south has went from strength to strength and even Swansea is coming along now. North Wales though doesn’t have much going for it.

Any team down there would have taken this opportunity, and on the other end of the scale, we have. Ok they are making a documentary, but I don’t think it was the whole basis of owning a club. I actually think they honestly wanted to bring a team from nowhere, to the top. The documentary was just an additional thing they were able to do because of their fame, and should help fund them.

I don’t get the the hate for them, but I get the annoyance if you’re down there with them trying to get out and all of a sudden you have a team competing who have all the money and everyone seems to be wishing them well.

Pontefract 2 Carlton Town 2

That means Shildon have a reprieve, they would have been down had Carlton won, but that draw means that they will now have to beat Grimsby Borough on Saturday and hope that Carlton don't beat playoff chasing Dunston to move into the relegation playoff places (a draw will definitely no longer be enough for them). It also means that Carlton can't catch Consett now.