Cup win or promotion?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I remember the two FA Cup finals in 98 and 99 - even though we were rank outsiders there was still the hope that a miracle could happen. I'd just about take a spot in the final for third place and the lottery of playoffs.

Lifting the cup but finishing seventh... well, it's hard to see those two things occurring, because if we're winning the cup then we clearly should be winning the Championship (or something is incredibly wrong!)

That manure one was horrible. Still remember it well, I was only 10 and watching in the local pub remember coming home almost in tears and been determined to see us make up for it one day.

The semi final defeat to them in Cardiff was just as bad too and my first away game watching us, such an undeserving set of fans they are too

Best shot of winning a trophy was the semi against Chelsea imo. We were genuinely unlucky in that game, had we squeezed through i'm certain we would've beaten Villa in the final.

Marseille with Drogba were simply the stronger side. Man Utd (final and semi) and Arsenal, too good. Sporting was only a QF but under Bobby rather than Souness we would've at least beaten Sporting.

Find it absolutely mental that a supporter of a club without silverware for so long would choose a promotion over an actual cup. Does not compute with moi.

:thup: Football should be about winning trophies (not the Championship). Being able to get thumped of Sky's big boys wouldn't bring as much joy as a cup win.

Aye but it isn't. There are different trophies with different levels of gravitas. And winning the league cup as a Championship team is just pointless. There's no pride in winning a tournament in which half the teams barely even try. It'd be slightly different with the FA Cup, but the bigger teams still don't really give a shit until later rounds. Just seems really pointless being the shitty club that fluked a cup. I want to win trophies because we're the fucking best, not because no-one else could be arsed.

Find it absolutely mental that a supporter of a club without silverware for so long would choose a promotion over an actual cup. Does not compute with moi.

:thup: Football should be about winning trophies (not the Championship). Being able to get thumped of Sky's big boys wouldn't bring as much joy as a cup win.

Aye but it isn't. There are different trophies with different levels of gravitas. And winning the league cup as a Championship team is just pointless. There's no pride in winning a tournament in which half the teams barely even try. It'd be slightly different with the FA Cup, but the bigger teams still don't really give a s*** until later rounds. Just seems really pointless being the shitty club that fluked a cup. I want to win trophies because we're the f***ing best, not because no-one else could be arsed.

We aren't really going to be the best though are we. Man city and Liverpool both got to the final and took it seriously last season and Arsenal Chelsea and Leicester all had a decent team out last night. The better teams take the league cup more seriously than people think.

If we had beat Arsenal in the final in 99 that wouldn't of made us the best. I'm sure we came about 11th that season too. Winning that final or the league cup as a championship team would both be as good

Promotion. Cup wins are all well and good, but no one would remember it when we start the next season in the championship. I'll take promotion this year then a cup win or two during the remainder of Rafa's time here.

Aye but it isn't. There are different trophies with different levels of gravitas. And winning the league cup as a Championship team is just pointless. There's no pride in winning a tournament in which half the teams barely even try. It'd be slightly different with the FA Cup, but the bigger teams still don't really give a shit until later rounds. Just seems really pointless being the shitty club that fluked a cup. I want to win trophies because we're the fucking best, not because no-one else could be arsed.

Aye, fully agree with this. I'd love for us to win a trophy but not at the expense of putting the clubs future back into jeopardy :lol:

Actually I'm just going to come out and say it, I think trophies are overrated. Unless you do something like Leicester City have just done then it all seems a bit meh to me. I'd be over the moon for a few days, get drunk, attend an open bus tour or whatever happens, and then watch the highlights of the win back on Youtube every now and then when I'm bored.

Aye but it isn't. There are different trophies with different levels of gravitas. And winning the league cup as a Championship team is just pointless. There's no pride in winning a tournament in which half the teams barely even try. It'd be slightly different with the FA Cup, but the bigger teams still don't really give a s*** until later rounds. Just seems really pointless being the shitty club that fluked a cup. I want to win trophies because we're the f***ing best, not because no-one else could be arsed.

Aye, fully agree with this. I'd love for us to win a trophy but not at the expense of putting the clubs future back into jeopardy :lol:

Actually I'm just going to come out and say it, I think trophies are overrated. Unless you do something like Leicester City have just done then it all seems a bit meh to me. I'd be over the moon for a few days, get drunk, attend an open bus tour or whatever happens, and then watch the highlights of the win back on Youtube every now and then when I'm bored.

That's the pinnacle and what football supporting is about though. Doing that as opposed to what if we get promoted?

That's the pinnacle and what football supporting is about though. Doing that as opposed to what if we get promoted?

Tell that to the lower leagues.

We aren't really going to be the best though are we. Man city and Liverpool both got to the final and took it seriously last season and Arsenal Chelsea and Leicester all had a decent team out last night. The better teams take the league cup more seriously than people think.

If we had beat Arsenal in the final in 99 that wouldn't of made us the best. I'm sure we came about 11th that season too. Winning that final or the league cup as a championship team would both be as good

Alright, I'm happy to downgrade from "the best" to "one of the best", or "competing to be one of the best". We finished 2nd the season before we finished 11th, so it's alreet.

Achieving what the great Birmingham City achieved doesn't appeal to me a great deal.

Alright, I'm happy to downgrade from "the best" to "one of the best", or "competing to be one of the best". We finished 2nd the season before we finished 11th, so it's alreet.

Achieving what the great Birmingham City achieved doesn't appeal to me a great deal.

I get what you meant and do understand where your coming from but I would still prefer to finally see us win something. Just my opinion of course.

I've supported us all my life without winning a single trophy and up until about half a decade ago it was class. I loved our pointless forays into the Champions League and have probably gotten as much satisfaction out of Bellamy's goal against Feyenoord, or Albert's lob, than I will us winning a Penalty shootout against Arsenal in a League Cup final.

I dunno, we finally look like we've been allowed the possibility of turning into an actual football club again, I don't want to potentially piss that away for a tier 3 trophy win.

If seeing your team finally win something after all the money miles and heartache invested isn't as good as it gets then what is? Being mid table in the premiership and trips to palace west brom etc and the odd win over manure or Liverpool?

Says it all about how you see our club. Happy to sacrifice the big time for the consolation of a cup. Coventry won the FA cup  some time ago, what a fucking glory. We've got Rafa man, stop acting like a Crystal Palace fan.

For me just having the Newcastle back of around 2001 is what I want. Some exciting players. Team full of effort and desire. Known as one of the best teams in the country and up there in the top 4-6. The odd cup final and good European nights again. If we won something like that it would be all the more sweeter so I can see the argument for promotion.

If seeing your team finally win something after all the money miles and heartache invested isn't as good as it gets then what is? Being mid table in the premiership and trips to palace west brom etc and the odd win over manure or Liverpool?

Says it all about how you see our club. Happy to sacrifice the big time for the consolation of a cup. Coventry won the FA cup  some time ago, what a fucking glory. We've got Rafa man, stop acting like a Crystal Palace fan.

That's it in a nutshell like :thup:

Rafa Benitez is saying he wants stay here long term, turn the club around and win trophies. That's what I want my club to be, not a Championship side that has won the fucking League Cup (although would be a lush bonus).

Says it all about how you see our club. Happy to sacrifice the big time for the consolation of a cup. Coventry won the FA cup  some time ago, what a f***ing glory. We've got Rafa man, stop acting like a Crystal Palace fan.

Haha that sounds like something I would say or did say not too long ago. I see Newcastle as one of the top 5 clubs in the country.