Cup win or promotion?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dumbfounded that people would rather sit in the Championship-- with all the consequences of that mounting-up each season away from the 'big show' -- if it meant winning a cup competition. Win six games potentially, in the main, against poor opponents and pick-up the EFL Cup (oh how validating!) versus be the best team in a hard fought 46 game season, pick up the Championship trophy AND get back in the Premier League with all that means for the profile and financial security of the club. Unless you still hate the regime at the club and therefore are ambivalent about NUFC doing well (which is fair enough) then it seems a no-brainer. That said, I still want both.

promotion under rafa i can see a few years of steady progress and us building the club we've all wanted to be for many years with a good youth system and a culture of competition throughout

no promotion there's a chance rafa might fuck off and/or the financial side might start to bite and we could stay down for a while - fuck that

How is it so hard to understand that the long term benefits of being promoted are likely greater than winning a cup, and that's why people would prefer the former? :lol:

I'd love to win a cup, it's be a ridiculous day/weekend. I just know that it would achieve basically nothing in terms of pushing the club forwards, and remaining in this league for another season could potentially be devastating.

Had we been managed by Schteve still with no light at the end of the tunnel I'd have taken a cup win any day, but I really want to see what Rafa can do with us back in the Premiership and I fully believe he can win silverware under him.

That is kind of my view.  But at the same time, we have had so many false dawns, I'm a bit cautious in thinking too much will change if/when we get back up.  I am still paranoid Ashley will piss Rafa off, or he'll get a better offer from elsewhere. 

It's a completely hypothetical situation.  But if it was a straight up choice.  I think I'd still go for a cup.  A day out at Wembley, breaking the hoodoo of all them years and actually seeing the team win something meaningful, would just be too much to turn down. 

Different ends of the scale.  But this kind of reminds me of the Arsenal top 4 or a trophy argument.  I'd go for the trophy in that scenario, too.

Great clubs consistently challenge for titles and cups, they don't win one whilst in the second tier then do fuck all for another 50 years. Make nufc great again

With Benitez at the helm, anyone choosing a cup is being needlessly short term.

Great clubs consistently challenge for titles and cups, they don't win one whilst in the second tier then do fuck all for another 50 years. Make nufc great again

With Benitez at the helm, anyone choosing a cup is being needlessly short term.

By make NUFC great again you mean 'Couple of seasons of getting back up to speed, at best sneaking a European place and potentially winning.........a cup'.

How is it so hard to understand that the long term benefits of being promoted are likely greater than winning a cup, and that's why people would prefer the former? [emoji38]

I'd love to win a cup, it's be a ridiculous day/weekend. I just know that it would achieve basically nothing in terms of pushing the club forwards, and remaining in this league for another season could potentially be devastating.

Had we been managed by Schteve still with no light at the end of the tunnel I'd have taken a cup win any day, but I really want to see what Rafa can do with us back in the Premiership and I fully believe he can win silverware under him.

Long term benefits of being an average Premier League team and never breaking into the top 4 or 6 or whatever which is much more likely to happen than "winning multiple cups in the future"?

Can't believe fans who have seen is win nothing would rather take the chance of maybe being good in the future than winning a cup now

Like we would be if we won a cup? :lol:

i wasn't really arguing the point with that, just the general discussing about competing back in the league again made me recall how much i loved us playing in europe and that i might get to take my bairn to a european game one day, that's all

so yeah same if we won a cup sure

• 1 month later...

I really fancy us for a cup. The conditions are right for it, IMO.

I do too. Promotion is more important though as if we don't Rafa will fuck off plus half our players. Maybe we can have both. It's unlikely. I am massively interested to see when we play a good PL side. It will be a massive indication as to what we can expect in the future if we go up.