NUFC History - Matchday Experiences/Memories - Those Were The Days Thread

NG32

Get your memories in here.  :lol:

I was at the match in 1988/89 (I think) when we played Wimbledon in the FA, where Vinny Jones grabbed gazza by the nads.  I always remember the incident at the end of the match where Mirandina ran up and flying kicked David Beasent in the back.  :lol:

The still had the fences up then, I remember my old man raging at Vinny Jones through the fence.  :lol:

That was the year Wimbledon went on to win the cup.

Could have whetted our appetite then 'gimp with one of yours.

I was at that notorious 4-3 with Forest where half the Leaze's End emptied onto the pitch and ran at the Gallowgate. There was a lot more room in there after that.

Getting pies hoyed at us from above at Elland Road.

Turning the wrong way out of Highfield Road and nearly missing the bus back. I was about 14 and I remember this radge bloke shouldering his way past me, one little b+w kid in a sea of sky blue. Yes, I was scared.

A goal by Supermac that was just breathtaking, can't even remember the opposition. Full volley into the top corner from a throw-in. Or so my memory says.

The day Keegan was announced as player. We were down Bigg Market with the Chronicle hoardings, taking them into the bars to show everyone.

Watching Rafa walk into St James' just before he signed up, that one will stick with me a long time I think.

The Supermac goal from the throw in was V Bolton 3-3 draw in the Fa cup.

I remember him taking a long throw against Notts county in the league cup run, keeper fumbled it into the goal, wonder if it was the only goal scored where the move was all hands from start to finish ?

The Supermac goal from the throw in was V Bolton 3-3 draw in the Fa cup.

I remember him taking a long throw against Notts county in the league cup run, keeper fumbled it into the goal, wonder if it was the only goal scored where the move was all hands from start to finish ?

So it was.

watch?v=-1GF5arqwqo  1m:29s

I'd post it but I'm scared of Dave, sent me a nasty PM once. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Going to Newcastle vs Sheff Wed as a kid and standing on a barstool in the Three Bulls Heads before the match so I could see the telly. Not understanding what 'Judas' meant when my dad's mates and the rest of the crowd were shouting it. So I just joined in and called everyone Judas. They were shouting it at Chris Waddle and Andy Sinton, everyone laughed at me, including the ref.

I got crushed when Alex Mathie scored a brilliant lob, with it being still all standing in The Gallowgate. It was absolutely brilliant.

I remember going to Royal Antwerp at home and missing a couple of goals because my dad forgot the tickets. Also remember losing in the FA Cup in 95/96 when Beardsley hit the bar in the penalty shootout.

Going to Newcastle vs Sheff Wed as a kid and standing on a barstool in the Three Bulls Heads before the match so I could see the telly. Not understanding what 'Judas' meant when my dad's mates and the rest of the crowd were shouting it. So I just joined in and called everyone Judas. They were shouting it at Chris Waddle and Andy Sinton, everyone laughed at me, including the ref.

I got crushed when Alex Mathie scored a brilliant lob, with it being still all standing in The Gallowgate. It was absolutely brilliant.

I remember going to Royal Antwerp at home and missing a couple of goals because my dad forgot the tickets. Also remember losing in the FA Cup in 95/96 when Beardsley hit the bar in the penalty shootout.

I watched that at home on sky sports with my old man and a few friends, cracking night of football.  We wore our reverse blue kit with the paint swooshes on it and sheff wed wore some weird white with pins stripes number and yellow shorts.

I was at the match in 1988/89 (I think) when we played Wimbledon in the FA, where Vinny Jones grabbed gazza by the nads.  I always remember the incident at the end of the match where Mirandina ran up and flying kicked David Beasent in the back.  :lol:

The still had the fences up then, I remember my old man raging at Vinny Jones through the fence.  :lol:

They were two separate matches. The Vinny/Gazza incident was at Plough lane in the league earlier in the season, but the Mirandinha/Beasant one was up here in the FA Cup 3rd round - that was my first ever match too, went in the corner with my older cousin.

Another good one from that season, was Chelsea at home, not long after that Wimbledon game. We won 3-1, with Gazza scoring and 2 from Mirandinha. He was being subbed, and didn't want to go off, as he was on a hattrick.. players having to usher him off. Never seen the goals from that game since, and they've never turned up on YT or on that Facebook page that cover those years.

As a kid, I used to go on the Jordan's bus, which started off in Ashington and went to Newcastle via Cambois (where me and dad got on) and Bedlington. Used to sit at the back with dad and all of his mates - I was 8 or 9 years old. They used to take me to the Companion's Club on Leazes Terrace - used to go in the little lounge there. Then off to the ground with dad - old family enclosure in the West Stand - next to the Leazes. Can still remember the smell of 'baccy' in the paddock and people stamping their feet on the wooden floor, in the seats behind when Newcastle got a corner. :)

The days before fan segregation were memorable , air thick with the smell of tobacco , p!ss & hops .I can remember in my pre pubescent years  being conned into giving my newly knitted b&w scarf to a drunken Glasgow Rangers fan along with my address , as he was going to send me a Rangers one in return  . I can hear him telling his mates how he tore it from the neck of one of the Toon fans he decked

One of my earliest memories is us losing against Chelsea in a penalty shootut in January of 96. I can also vaguely remember Halmstads and Ferencvaros later on that year. We demolished both of them with Ginola scoring THAT goal against Ferencvaros. I genuinely thought we were one of the best teams in the world because we were able to beat teams from Sweden and Hungary :lol:

More recently the 4-3 against Man Utd with Robert scoring the free kick and Keane swinging a punch at Shearer was pretty epic in terms of the atmosphere throughout the game.

They were two separate matches. The Vinny/Gazza incident was at Plough lane in the league earlier in the season, but the Mirandinha/Beasant one was up here in the FA Cup 3rd round - that was my first ever match too, went in the corner with my older cousin.

Another good one from that season, was Chelsea at home, not long after that Wimbledon game. We won 3-1, with Gazza scoring and 2 from Mirandinha. He was being subbed, and didn't want to go off, as he was on a hattrick.. players having to usher him off. Never seen the goals from that game since, and they've never turned up on YT or on that Facebook page that cover those years.

Ahh ok, it  all meldged  into one event in my head!

Guest chicken little

Man City away, 95/96: the game where Asprilla did Keith Curle. On the way out with me dad we saw one of our fans taking turns with a City fan the other side of a wire fence to gob in each others' faces. Middle-aged blokes and all.

Then walking up Moss Lane we saw a bloke slip in one of the biggest dog eggs I've ever seen, and end up with it smeared from hip to ankle of his white jeans.

Man City away, 95/96: the game where Asprilla did Keith Curle. On the way out with me dad we saw one of our fans taking turns with a City fan the other side of a wire fence to gob in each others' faces. Middle-aged blokes and all.

Then walking up Moss Lane we saw a bloke slip in one of the biggest dog eggs I've ever seen, and end up with it smeared from hip to ankle of his white jeans.

:lol: :lol:

Dog Eggs and white jeans  :lol:

Got my season ticket in the Milburn in 1992, but previous to that had stood in the Corner since 1978, moved to the Leazes for a little bit and also had one seaon in the E Wing. Favourite games I can remember were 4-2 v QPR in 79, 3-1 against the Mackems on New Years Day, Keegan's debut in 81, Man City and all the games at the end of the promotion season (Carlisle, Derby & Brighton) and of course David Kelly v Portsmouth which is the last game I stood on the Gallowgate iirc. So many good (and bad) things to remember, a million miles away from the whole match day experience nowadays.

Last game I stood at SJP, I was in the Milburn Paddock against Ascoli in the Anglo Italian Cup. David Kelly got sent off and there was a huge brawl involving all the players and benches right in front of me. I don't know why but without thinking, I went on the pitch and joined in, getting one of their players in a headlock before it all calmed down and I jumped back into the Paddock. Got home with my brother, before he kindly pointed me out to my folks, as the whole thing was shown on the late local news that night. Probably would have been a lifetime ban nowadays.

My first game was a 1-0 win over Tranmere Rovers on 10th October 1992, I'd just turned 8. That win made it 10/10 wins at the start of the 1992/93 season.

David Kelly scored the goal.