Toon to make Woodgate offer

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Newcastle are planning an audacious bid to steal Jonathan Woodgate from under the noses of Middlesbrough next summer.

Former United defender Woodgate is on a year-long loan at Boro from Real Madrid, with the two clubs having agreed on a fee - believed to be £5 million - to make the deal permanent at the end of the season.

But sources in Madrid have revealed that Newcastle have made it known they will be willing to match that price if Woodgate stays largely injury-free for the next five months.

And the Magpies believe that a fit Woodgate would be reluctant to commit his future to Boro unless the club's league position dramatically improves.

Newcastle sold Woodgate to Madrid for £13.4 million in August 2004 amid concerns over his long-term fitness.

The 26-year-old has been sidelined during much of the interim, but his early impact at Boro has impressed both England coach Steve McClaren and United boss Glenn Roeder.

Meanwhile, Villarreal's move for United striker Albert Luque rests on whether they can agree a deal for their top attacking target, Malaga's Salva Ballesta.

Real Betis are ready to step in if Villarreal snub Luque, with Valencia having also expressed an interest.

------------------------------------------------------

Dunno what the source is, nicked it off toontastic :lol:

And the Magpies believe that a fit Woodgate would be reluctant to commit his future to Boro unless the club's league position dramatically improves.

Another thing, aren't we just 3 points off them!  :lol:

Another thing, aren't we just 3 points off them!  :lol:

2 but with a game in hand against Chelski =P

We won't get him now.

Would absolutely love it, but he'll stay at Boro.

I don't think he will, i also dont think he'll be joining us.

I think (if he stays fit) bigger clubs such as Liverpool or Arsenal may be willing to take a chance on him for £5m.

No harm in getting both Distin and Woodgate, assuming both want to come here itd surely be financially viable and well within our reach - whilst getting rid of Bramble and Moore in the process. Probably wouldnt even be a big outlay at all if we could recoup 2-3 million.

Distin, Woodgate, Taylor and Ramage would be a great squad of centrebacks to have. Wouldnt matter if Woody was injury prone with that squad, nor would Taylor's growth be stunted as hed still play regularly no doubt (imo its better for a defender of his age to develop as someone who plays regularly, but isnt a guaranteed first teamer - eg Terry a few years back when he was behind Desailly and Gallas). Wed cover so many bases with that squad - if a left back gets injured, Distin can play there and Taylor/Ramage alongside Woody, likewise if Distin gets injured (rare), if Woody gets injured, theres Taylor/Ramage to play alongside Distin, if a fullback gets injured, Taylor can fill in on the right, if both Distin and Woodgate get injured, then we have the defence that is playing right now which wouldnt be too bad for a last choice partnership.

Obviously, this wont happen. We've rarely had one good centreback at the club at any point in time, let alone 2-3.

I think Roeder's denying Woodgate, Distin and Knight are targets. Can't be arsed to find the quote though

Yea i read it somewhere aswell, It fucking bugs the hell out of me when Roeder comes out and denies every rumour. Imo Roeder should keep his mouth shut

I think Roeder's denying Woodgate, Distin and Knight are targets.  Can't be arsed to find the quote though

Aye he did today in the Chronicle I think, kind of glad about Woodgate (big risk) and Knight (woeful) but little disappointed with him ruling out Distin.

I think Roeder's denying Woodgate, Distin and Knight are targets.  Can't be arsed to find the quote though

Aye he did today in the Chronicle I think, kind of glad about Woodgate (big risk) and Knight (woeful) but little disappointed with him ruling out Distin.

I'm praying this means all the money's going on 2 full backs and a striker.  It probably means all the money's going on Peter Crouch  bluedead.gif

I'm praying this means all the money's going on 2 full backs and a striker.  It probably means all the money's going on Peter Crouch  bluedead.gif

Probably, well Crouch and £6m for Boa Morte as the left wing is looking a little bare!