Hull City 1-1 Newcastle United (Hull win 3-1 on pelanties) afters from page 37

Disco

There's probably a lot of rose tinted specs when thinking back to that season though. Looking retrospectively at results there was a major mid-season struggle, sandwiched between the ridiculous start and strong finish. I mean they finished on 6 fewer points than Hughton's side.

Is the 1st division weaker now than it was then?

A bit, but not much rose tinted stuff - look at how many of the KK promotion side went on to help the club finish 3rd in the following season in the PL...how many of the current side would remain automatic fixtures if/when we get promoted...?

I reckon we would need at least 5 new players to get anywhere NEAR 3rd in the current PL....yes, the PL has more money in it now, but KK really didn't spend big until the close season of 94/95. As far as I can remember, the only 2 players he signed that were immediate first team fixtures in Summer 93 were Venison and Beardsley and both of them were a comparative pittance, even then.

There's probably a lot of rose tinted specs when thinking back to that season though. Looking retrospectively at results there was a major mid-season struggle, sandwiched between the ridiculous start and strong finish. I mean they finished on 6 fewer points than Hughton's side.

A bit, but not much rose tinted stuff - look at how many of the KK promotion side went on to help the club finish 3rd in the following season in the PL...how many of the current side would remain automatic fixtures if/when we get promoted...?

I reckon we would need at least 5 new players to get anywhere NEAR 3rd in the current PL....yes, the PL has more money in it now, but KK really didn't spend big until the close season of 94/95. As far as I can remember, the only 2 players he signed that were immediate first team fixtures in Summer 93 were Venison and Beardsley and both of them were a comparative pittance, even then.

Venison came at the start of the promotion season.

Thanks, I wondered about that but seeing as he did just highlights my point even more really...I know KK signed a couple of basically squad players(one from Millwall after Beardsley got injured at Liverpool in pre-season, one from Scotland, Alex Mathie I believe). I knew Beresford was signed before the promotion season but wasn't sure about Venison.

Would that we could get away with such limited transfer activity now...!

Our full 92-93 promotion season review is on Youtube. If you haven't seen it you must watch it right now.

It is indeed – uploaded by my good mate and Biffa links it whenever it can be linked to ‘on this day in history’ on .com – as you say – great to watch 23 / 24 years later!

Thanks, I wondered about that but seeing as he did just highlights my point even more really...I know KK signed a couple of basically squad players(one from Millwall after Beardsley got injured at Liverpool in pre-season, one from Scotland, Alex Mathie I believe). I knew Beresford was signed before the promotion season but wasn't sure about Venison.

There were no transfer windows back then remember, so we added players through the season.

Rob Lee came in reasonably early, we added Andy Cole and Scott Sellars mid-season.

Arsenal or Liverpool we definitely would have lost. ManU/Southampton though... :hmm:

Kinell man, Sels.

Stating the obvious and crying over split milk, but it would have been Rafa vs. Mou. I think Rafa has the upper hand in cup competitions. With us in the Championship, it would have been pitched as a huge banana skin for Man U with all the pressure on them. A must win to avoid ridicule.

Had we somehow got through, Rafa vs. Liverpool for the final. The perfect script.

One up against ten men. What a waste.

Arsenal or Liverpool we definitely would have lost. ManU/Southampton though... :hmm:

Kinell man, Sels.

Both would turn us over.

So what? Would love to have had the opportunity to play either in a cup semi final.

There were no transfer windows back then remember, so we added players through the season.

Rob Lee came in reasonably early, we added Andy Cole and Scott Sellars mid-season.

Yes, I made that point in an earlier post.

Malcolm Allen and Papavasiliou came in too iirc.

I mentioned Allen when I posted that KK had signed a guy from Millwall(that was Allen but I couldn't remember his name at the time). You are right about Papavasiliou, but he was basically a squad player - notable for creating the goal at OT for Andy Cole which brought us our first point of the 93/94 season after 2 defeats(home to Spurs and away to Coventry).

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, hopefully they get dumped out and the manure fans are more interested in leaning over giving the hull fans wanker signs than applauding their own team off at the end.

One fan hits the nail on the head when he says that tickets in the quarters against us were only £9 and the fans didn't want to know.

Hull had a problem with our fans being in the home end, if they offered a small allocation to Man Utd fans then the problem would be much worse with Manchester just being the other side of the M62. If Hull fans started buying tickets to their game then they wouldn't have a problem.

Am I right in thinking that away allocations for the semi finals in the league cup are larger. Or am I making it up? Just remember sunderland getting a gargantuan allocation for their semi at OT.

Think it's negotiated between the clubs to an extent (although the police will obviously have a say) hence Hull giving man utd more than they gave us presumably so that they get a decent allocation for the old trafford leg. The mackems got a massive allocation at old Trafford when they were in the semis presumably because they gave paying man utd away fans a shedload of tickets for the SoL game ahead of their own freeloaders.