Newcastle United v Sheffield Wednesday - 26/12/16 @ 7.45pm (live on Sky Sports)

Disco

I'm hoping we get a bit of revenge for getting dumped out of the cup by these last year. Not only did we get comfortably out played - Sissoko in particular offered one of the worst individual performances I've seen live - every cock up was greeted with the song "that's why you're going down". To be fair to those Wednesday fans they were absolutely right. I can even remember being mildly relieved that De Jong missed a last minute sitter to save me from extra time.

Nevertheless, a revenge win for that shambles would be amazing.

"Newcastle United vs Sheffield Wednesday 4-2 13 September 1993 Premier League"

:sweetjesus:

Did Sheffield have some kind of special backing back then? A great team, on paper at least.

Not really. League was a lot flatter in terms of talent spread as there was no tv money/globalisation as such compared to now. Also Woods, Walker, Waddle would've been getting on.

Did Sheffield have some kind of special backing back then? A great team, on paper at least.

Not really. League was a lot flatter in terms of talent spread as there was no tv money/globalisation as such compared to now. Also Woods, Walker, Waddle would've been getting on.

yep TV money etc, has allowed well run smaller clubs to take the place of the traditional but shit run bigger clubs.

Well that was enjoyable. I was standing in the Gallowgate for that match, and it really brought memories flooding back. What stands out on watching it now is how gung-ho both sides were. There seemed to be no focus on retaining possession, and a willingness to sprint 100% every time the ball changed hands. Perhaps the overall skill level was lower in those days (Waddle apart), but the intensity made for a much more viscerally exciting spectacle.

I was at that game, in the West Stand Paddocks. Was my 2nd year at Teesside Uni, although I hadn't gone back done yet. Bought myself a season-ticket (my first one!) thanks to the summer job I had done, once overdraft was paid off! :) Waddle was brilliant for these, this day. Malcolm Allen worked his socks off for us - and Mathie's goal. :cool:

I was at that game, in the West Stand Paddocks. Was my 2nd year at Teesside Uni, although I hadn't gone back done yet. Bought myself a season-ticket (my first one!) thanks to the summer job I had done, once overdraft was paid off! :) Waddle was brilliant for these, this day. Malcolm Allen worked his socks off for us - and Mathie's goal. :cool:

my first ever home game :aww: