Martins and Owen??

black_n_white

I think so, as long as Martins continues on his movement it could work very well. Both are good in the air, both have pace, Martins has power and two good feet, Owen has world class movement and clinical finishing. As long as we don't spend games lumping the ball up to them hoping they win it we should be ok.

In terms of holding the ball up - Martins isn't too bad at all. We've seen Oba's best play for us coming from outside of the box. He is a creator, not a serial goalscorer. What Martins is begging for - is someone who will just stick the ball in the back of the net, because Martins' movement in the box is not that of a natural goalscorer. He is a playmaker.

Owen is that partner. Owen will simply score if he has the ball. Owen shouldn't be asked to do all of the work - because that would be Martins job. Both of them are excellent at doing their job and they would make a mean partnership. Providing we play the ball on the floor; and with Milner, Dyer and Zoggy all behind them in the midfield, we shouldn't be worried about that. It would be a superb attackline.

Their 'partnership' throws the bigman-littleman theory out of the window, and so it should.

We need a short-term poacher in Jan. Someone who, this season, will do the things that i've described. Wait for the ball in the box and score. £2m on Viduka, or even better - a loan - would do just the job.

Agreed...i think if we play the 'right way' it would work....we do have the tendancy at times to play long balls out of defence...mentioning no names...bramble!! Dean Ashton would be a good buy i think..a young, up-and-coming english striker who plays in the mold of Shearer. Also would Liverpool, with all this takeover business be tempted in bringing Owen back...they could certainatly afford it now with even an inflated price??

It's pointless us splashing out again on another striker in January, well in big fiscal terms anyway, as we have Owen to come back and have Martins already to partner him, so these two should be the main strike partnership for us without a shadow of a doubt, a stop gap loan signing wouldn't go a miss but we really do need some new full backs before another trophy signing striker.

It's pointless us splashing out again on another striker in January, well in big fiscal terms anyway, as we have Owen to come back and have Martins already to partner him, so these two should be the main strike partnership for us without a shadow of a doubt, a stop gap loan signing wouldn't go a miss but we really do need some new full backs before another trophy signing striker.

Agreed. We should be looking at 2 new fullbacks before we start looking upfront. Assuming the wise-men find us some defenders a striker on loan would not be a bad option.

Would you take Viduka? People scoff at the idea but he holds the ball up well and is good for a goal or 2.

Would you take Viduka? People scoff at the idea but he holds the ball up well and is good for a goal or 2.

Yup. Exactly what i'm saying.

Don't rate Viduka too highly, but we will need a third choice striker til Owen returns

why not play owen and martins up front with sibierski just behind them to get flick ons, hold up the ball for them to make runs and get into space and whilst owen and martisn are whizzing around the peno box sibierski can arrive late into the box to get his head on crosses. I think it would work as we would be playing each player to their strengths.

It can work. Owen off the shoulder and Martins roaming the space in the hole, breaking at pace.

I agree. Would also mean that long ball was never our predominant tactic, which would be beneficial to us. Agree with Yorkie-Geordie's first post here as well. A potentially excellent partnership in my opinion.

why not play owen and martins up front with sibierski just behind them to get flick ons, hold up the ball for them to make runs and get into space and whilst owen and martisn are whizzing around the peno box sibierski can arrive late into the box to get his head on crosses. I think it would work as we would be playing each player to their strengths.

That would leave us short in midfield tbh,and we've seen the benefit over the past few weeks playing with a proper holding midfielder to protect the back 4.

Guest khainufc

Martin and Owen partnership have the potential to electricfy the world!

but when will be the earliest date that partnership can happen?

March. And by the start of next season they'll know each others strengths in and out and be a very dangerous duo.

Guest khainufc

March. And by the start of next season they'll know each others strengths in and out and be a very dangerous duo.

Yeah!haha  cant wait for next season to be honest...

and hopefully by then we will have buy a good defender!

I don't think it'd be particularly great as they are too similar.  I think they are both good headers of the ball, but I don't think they'll win many headers in the box if they are marked well by a taller defender.  I know Martins was out jumping Sol Campbell the other week, but if irc it was outside the box and his headers weren't directed (still better than letting the defender win them though).  I still believe in having a good physical presence, whether that's a big man or just someone who is bigger and stronger than Owen and Martins I'm not sure.

Newcastle would have to change their style of play to accomodate them both in the same team.  Emre could be the key for quickly released sharp passes to allow them to use their pace.  Dyer could also be useful if he gives up his bad habit of holding on to the ball too long, as he gets forward quickly and doesn't often loft a cross.  Having two good offensive fullbacks would also be required, non of this 'centrehalf filling in' business.

I would certainly like to see them paired together though to see whether it could work or not though.

Guest khainufc

I really like the way dyer play....yeah he dont often loft a cross...and that is wat the our central mid should do...and with emre and dyer in the middle...expect a dangerous partnership too!