Africa Cup of Nations - Gabon 2017

Toon Hoser

Up there with the worst games of football I have ever seen this Ivory Coast v Togo one.

I knocked it off a half time. Reminded me of why i hardly watch the cup of nations. There's some absolutely horrific games.

There's been 8 games so far this tournament, 5 draws and the though sides who won all had Newcastle representation - typical, looks like the 3 could be there for a long time.

Granted, Ghana and Senegal were favourites to win their games  but so were Algeria, Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Gabon and none of those managed to win their opening games. Sunderland's 3 players either drew or lost their first games - would be nice if they stayed in it for a long period.

Khazri staying a bit longer (would at least be an extra option for them and / or might make it harder for them to sell to bring in new players), plus Slimani and Mahrez will be back a lot sooner now for Leicester. Decent.

Hoping Ivory Coast beat Morocco tomorrow evening as well

This tournament has come to life in the past few days and been good entertainment for the ten people that show up for matches. Gabon was a wonderful host in 2012, but the political situation in the country has put a cloud over this ACON. Fittingly, the hosts went out with performance symbolic of a team with no backing from its country or its people. Other things have taken precedence. Interestingly, the past three winners since 2012 (Zambia, Nigeria, CIV) have been either eliminated or didn't qualify. Obviously, I am hoping for DR Congo to win for the first time since 1974, but Senegal looks the best side, imo.

Chancel looking a real player for Congo, in midfield.

I've been telling you :lol:

I think Rafa should try him in midfield. I've mentioned before that I watch many of his games for RDC who deploy him as a central midfielder and when I see him there, it is hard to believe someone of his talent cannot help this side. In the last match against Guinea, he was crucial in both goals, making Yaya-esque, powerful runs from deep midfield to the top of the opposition box and spreading to the wide players in good positions. His general play and ability to cause havoc is very impressive. Against Libya (who are poor since the civil war, tbf) he was also dominant in that position. It says something that their manager values his midfield play to the point, he prefers to play League 1 players and local boys at the back.

Chancel is a beast in midfield for RDC. This is Africa, of course, where midfield is carnage and Kabore and Mikel are 10's, but his quality is hard to ignore.