"You're Just a Town Full of Pakis!"

LateRegistration

Was at the game yesterday and it was a brilliant day out. Great result and fantastic away support.

However being someone who's parent's are from Pakistan (I'm geordie born and bred myself) the following chant ("You're just a town full of Paki's!") sung by a portion of the away supporters during the 1st  half and in spurts during half-time soured the day slightly.

I don't care what anyone says used in a derogatory manner as above the term "Paki" is racist and extremely offensive, not only to the Pakistani community of Blackburn but also to geordie pakistani's like myself.

hmmm packi shouldnt be an insult.....as packi-stan = pure land

Yes but used in a derogatory way it is. Just like referring to someone's skin colour as black isn't racist but calling them a black bastard is.

They didn't (allegedly) say paki bastard though.

It would be the same as saying 'your just a town full of blacks' don't twist things.

Anybody else confirm this or do we just take the word of one person of a football forum? (no offense to the OP)

ive heard that sung at quite a few games by our supporters, particulary at games in the birmingham area

iklgizmo has heard it being sung before, haven't been to any away games in the Birmingham area so I can't confirm this but I'm sure others there yesterday will be able to confirm it was being sung.

Anybody else confirm this or do we just take the word of one person of a football forum? (no offense to the OP)

ive heard that sung at quite a few games by our supporters, particulary at games in the birmingham area

iklgizmo has heard it being sung before, haven't been to any away games in the Birmingham area so I can't confirm this but I'm sure others there yesterday will be able to confirm it was being sung.

Like i said, no offense to you, but i wasn't there and am not about to take one persons say so as gospel.

If so its disgraceful, and the club should look into it. No place for racism in football, especially in todays modern game.

Guest TheOrder

Heard it at the Villa game, along with, 'town full of bombers', 'sing when your stabbing' etc.

Didnt hear it yesterday. I didnt even know that area had a high percentage of asians. Has it?

hmmm packi shouldnt be an insult.....as packi-stan = pure land

Yes but used in a derogatory way it is. Just like referring to someone's skin colour as black isn't racist but calling them a black bastard is.

They didn't (allegedly) say paki bastard though.

It would be the same as saying 'your just a town full of blacks' don't twist things.

Not trying to twist things just merely illustrating that the term "Paki" was used in an insulting manner to Pakistan's. Something which you can't deny surely?

Heard it at the Villa game, along with, 'town full of bombers', 'sing when your stabbing' etc.

Didnt hear it yesterday. I didnt even know that area had a high percentage of asians. Has it?

Yeah Blackburn (and the North West in general) has a high number of asians, in particular pakistani muslims.

Thing is where do you draw the line? I was at the Rugby in Cardiff a few years back and it was Wales V England and a section of English starting singing something about all Welsh being Sheep shaggers etc etc.

Like the rest of you i want Racism banned from the game but my question is where do we draw the line?

i think paki when used in relation to a pakistani person is fine, its just like calling a scottish person a scot or an australian person an aussie. However the way it is sang at matches is in relation to a large asian community and so it is derogatory. Not the nicest thing to sing at a match.

Thing is where do you draw the line? I was at the Rugby in Cardiff a few years back and it was Wales V England and a section of English starting singing something about all Welsh being Sheep shaggers etc etc.

Like the rest of you i want Racism banned from the game but my question is where do we draw the line?

surely that example is just light hearted banter. I know a welsh man and often wind him up about the whole welsh sheep shagger thing and he replies with comments about Scotland, which happen to be quite similar, it's just a bit of banter.

Harsh stuff.  Will never rid the game of racism and bigotry, you'll never rid the world of it either.  Slightly happy that the whole lot didn't appear to be singing it and only a minority, and I have no reason not to believe the opening post.  If someone came on the forum and posted something positive, but it was only from one person's mouth like in this case, we'd be happy to believe that. 

You can't really compare calling Welsh people sheep shaggers to calling people "pakis" though, that's ridiculous.  Sheep shaggers, by and large, is seen as a joke, even by the people on the other side, and not only Welsh people get called it.  Whereas "Paki" is seen worldwide as a racist derogatory remark.

surely that example is just light hearted banter. I know a welsh man and often wind him up about the whole welsh sheep shagger thing and he replies with comments about Scotland, which happen to be quite similar, it's just a bit of banter.

Yea i laughed when i heard it but i bet there was a few Welshmen who wasnt to happy, My point is where do you draw the line? Do you stop singing songs when it upsets people? I took it as banter and started singing about the English a great laugh but thats just me.

Harsh stuff.  Will never rid the game of racism and bigotry, you'll never rid the world of it either.  Slightly happy that the whole lot didn't appear to be singing it and only a minority, and I have no reason not to believe the opening post.  If someone came on the forum and posted something positive, but it was only from one person's mouth like in this case, we'd be happy to believe that. 

You can't really compare calling Welsh people sheep shaggers to calling people "pakis" though, that's ridiculous.  Sheep shaggers, by and large, is seen as a joke, even by the people on the other side, and not only Welsh people get called it.  Whereas "Paki" is seen worldwide as a racist derogatory remark.

I wasnt trying to compare as you have put it, All i was trying to do is see where people expect the line to be drawn. As i have said i didnt mind but some people might of been insulted, No one on this board likes Racists and people who sing about it are pathetic

Anyone, who seriously thinks that singing "You're just a town full of Pakis" is ok, is seriously deluded. Whether or not the word "paki" is racist in itself is irrelevant, in this instance it's being used in a derogatory manner and that makes it racist. If you don't think it's being used as an insult then perhaps you could tell me why someone would bother singing that song?