Modou Barrow

lovejoy

I have absolutely no problem at all in us not wanting to jump in & sign a unproven, raw Mo Barrow permanently without Rafa actually working with him first.

I reckon it's pretty clear right now that the club see this window as being built around trying to find players who they can loan for the sole reason of filling gaps if suspension/injuries occur and the fact that their enquiry for Barrow was apparently for loan only with no obligation to buy speaks volumes.

Not that I have any inside info, but I imagine that Rafa, I.e. a good manager, would be just as reluctant to pay over the odds re fee/wages in Jan if he doesn't think it's good business. It can potentially unsettle the existing team spirit and waste/use funds which may be available and go further in the summer.

Personally I don't buy into the manager always wanting and the chairman always refusing 'drama' that seems to be taken as granted.

I agree. I think we have probably got some big targets lined up for the summer, for this window we will probably only want deals if they are going to be on loan or good enough to improve us next season as well.

Seems canny straight forward to me like.

yeah, what's not straightforward? Put in bid, bid accepted, terms negotiated, player accepts or they decline.

I take it ryder doesn't elaborate?

Lots of things that can complicate these deals.

One team wants a loan, other team want permanent deal. Team doesn't want to sell until they have a replacement in. Or just haggling over the price...

Lots of things that can complicate these deals.

One team wants a loan, other team want permanent deal. Team doesn't want to sell until they have a replacement in. Or just haggling over the price...

Aye, looks like the replacement in is the reason from what ive now read elsewhere.

It sounds like Rafa sees the player as a squad player who can fill in if we have an injury crisis and promotion is threatened. Barrow doesn't seem to be better than the players we've already got, so a permanent move doesn't make any sense.

Swansea, on the other hand, need to replace the player and need a transfer fee. Impasse.

It shows how completely Ashley & Co have lowered expectations among NUFC fans when a player who has not even been a SWANSEA regular(a team that were always in the lower leagues when I was younger)is exciting so much response and interest...

I would be quite happy if NO signings were made in this window provided I was fairly confident that we could get promoted WITHOUT the need for the Play-offs with the current squad...I am NOT especially sure the squad can do this ; they will probably face a back-log of fixtures and a deficit to make up on other Champ sides after the Cup game..esp if it goes to a replay...

Let us hope they have something concrete to work on by the time Feb 1 rolls around because any injury to Shelvey would knock us right off course.

Going by our recent form splutter, during Shelvey's absence, I don't trust this team lumbered with a Colback fueled midfield (minus Shelvey, if injured) to maintain the gap between 2nd and the play-off spots.

I'd much prefer to see McCarthy or Delph through the door, in preference to Townsend or the bloke from Swansea.

It shows how completely Ashley & Co have lowered expectations among NUFC fans when a player who has not even been a SWANSEA regular(a team that were always in the lower leagues when I was younger)is exciting so much response and interest...

I would be quite happy if NO signings were made in this window provided I was fairly confident that we could get promoted WITHOUT the need for the Play-offs with the current squad...I am NOT especially sure the squad can do this ; they will probably face a back-log of fixtures and a deficit to make up on other Champ sides after the Cup game..esp if it goes to a replay...

Let us hope they have something concrete to work on by the time Feb 1 rolls around because any injury to Shelvey would knock us right off course.

Going by our recent form splutter, during Shelvey's absence, I don't trust this team lumbered with a Colback fueled midfield (minus Shelvey, if injured) to maintain the gap between 2nd and the play-off spots.

I'd much prefer to see McCarthy or Delph through the door, in preference to Townsend or the bloke from Swansea.

Seriously, watching Mbemba perform for Congo in midfield and not just a defensive midfielder either, I wouldn't hesitate in putting him there.  He's been outstanding .

Personally for me it goes Townsend > Midfield General > Barrow

Should Shelvey get injured we would still be pinning teams back and creating chances with the wing play Townsend offers alongside Ritchie.

Seriously, watching Mbemba perform for Congo in midfield and not just a defensive midfielder either, I wouldn't hesitate in putting him there.  He's been outstanding .

Most didn't even know he could play there. He has played CB RB and CDM for Anderlecht.  Very useful player being overlooked.

Personally for me it goes Townsend > Midfield General > Barrow

Should Shelvey get injured we would still be pinning teams back and creating chances with the wing play Townsend offers alongside Ritchie.

Pretty sure Ritchie could be as influential as Shelvey is if we played 2 up front, or at least 1 up and 1 off, at least tried to get someone from the middle alongside or even passed the front man.

He did at Bornemouth when they got promoted, scoring loads in the process.

Based on what. We've been in the top 2 since about September, we're 9 points clear of 3rd we have players coming back from injury very soon and by the start of next month we'll have 3 players returning from the African cup of nations.

I really do wonder what some of our supporters have been watching this season.

Are you seriously trying to say that the side has looked convincing without Shelvey...? If so, its you who must have been watching something different to most of us. Just because we are second in the table - on the back of an unbeaten run which happened earlier in the season - in NO way means we are guaranteed to stay there - especially if we lose players like Shelvey or Gayle. Yes, we beat a Rotherham side without Gayle but they are certainties for relegation and we struggled for the first 45 minutes to create any meaningful chances and could have gone in a goal behind.

Ever since Shelvey has been out of the side(and sometimes even with him in it)we have struggled and lost more games than most promotion sides ever do. Brighton show no signs of falling away and neither do Reading...both won earlier this week and teams like Leeds are going to keep plugging away because they know if we falter they have a chance.

Until we start playing convincing, winning football at SJP - and against better teams than Rotherham - I will retain my opinion that the jury would be out on automatic promotion if we fail to strengthen the positions we need to and lose vital players.

Not sure what Swansea previously being a predominantly lower league team has to do with anything like. They've been a better side than us for years now and up until their recent take over they were a very solid Premiership club.

It has EVERYTHING to do with it...it highlights just how a club with our massive potential and proven huge support has been so badly run that little clubs from Wales - a rugby stronghold - can hold us to ransom over bit-part players.

You have accepted Ashley's propaganda that we have no right to be a big club - except that our ground, crowds and history prove him wrong. The only part I agree with is that there is no AUTOMATIC right to be a big club, you have to run things properly and that is the ONLY reason Swansea are in the PL and we are down among the dead men...

Unless you are under 30, you have a short memory of what we were like 20 years ago...we had 20,000 on a waiting list for STs..

A) Were a Championship club, who are you expecting us to sign? Townsend is probably the best we can hope for in terms of quality.

B) You missed the part that were currently 9 points clear with a vastly superior goal difference towards the end of January? Chill. :lol:

Have you been watching our games since December..?? And where did I complain about Townsend as a signing ??

McCarthy would be a good signing, but he's not going to replace Shelvey in any shape or form should he be injured. He's a ball winner, not a creative player.

Guest reefatoon

Christ, Merlin has made this a right spritely read in the morning. So glad I got up and read that set of uplifting posts, feel like I can tackle anything now.

Christ, Merlin has made this a right spritely read in the morning. So glad I got up and read that set of uplifting posts, feel like I can tackle anything now.

Glad to have made your day....we aim to please..!

Based on what. We've been in the top 2 since about September, we're 9 points clear of 3rd we have players coming back from injury very soon and by the start of next month we'll have 3 players returning from the African cup of nations.

I really do wonder what some of our supporters have been watching this season.

Are you seriously trying to say that the side has looked convincing without Shelvey...? If so, its you who must have been watching something different to most of us. Just because we are second in the table - on the back of an unbeaten run which happened earlier in the season - in NO way means we are guaranteed to stay there - especially if we lose players like Shelvey or Gayle. Yes, we beat a Rotherham side without Gayle but they are certainties for relegation and we struggled for the first 45 minutes to create any meaningful chances and could have gone in a goal behind.

Ever since Shelvey has been out of the side(and sometimes even with him in it)we have struggled and lost more games than most promotion sides ever do. Brighton show no signs of falling away and neither do Reading...both won earlier this week and teams like Leeds are going to keep plugging away because they know if we falter they have a chance.

Until we start playing convincing, winning football at SJP - and against better teams than Rotherham - I will retain my opinion that the jury would be out on automatic promotion if we fail to strengthen the positions we need to and lose vital players.

Jesus. :lol:

Stop trying to put words in my mouth. I was simply pointing out facts to you. Of course there is no guarantees but it would take a huge fuck up on our part to not get promoted. Try and enjoy the season pal.