The other games today 2017/18

Greg

Just watching the goals from the lower leagues on SSN.

I’m not one to have a go at lower league club fans, however the attendances especially from home teams is just far far too low. Again I don’t think it’s just down to fans, a lot of people will be working or just getting in from work and such, so it all plays apart.

I just can’t help but think that the plans to create an extra league in order to have smaller leagues and less midweek league fixtures that the EFL came out with a year or so ago would have went some way to help fans.

I’m not one to have a go at lower league club fans, however the attendances especially from home teams is just far far too low. Again I don’t think it’s just down to fans, a lot of people will be working or just getting in from work and such, so it all plays apart.

I just can’t help but think that the plans to create an extra league in order to have smaller leagues and less midweek league fixtures that the EFL came out with a year or so ago would have went some way to help fans.

I missed that one. I guess maybe it makes some sense, but would it not mean clubs losing out on money? Also, there were 10000 at Blackburn and nearly 20000 at Bradford. That doesn't sound too bad. Still very strong compared to other countries. The average attendance hasn't changed much over the last few years. 7000-7100-7900-7500. What do you think is an acceptable level?

I think that's a pretty decent turnout, given the debilitating changes in the game over the last couple of decades.

Drivel.

Absolutely no blame needs to be put at fans down the pyramid who successfully keep their clubs alive, often without recognition. Yes, if a club loses 10-15k fans because of relegation a la Mackems but for folk not turning out watching shit club A v shit club B. Total bollocks.

The best thing about English football is the depth of the pyramid. By an absolute mile.

Drivel.

Absolutely no blame needs to be put at fans down the pyramid who successfully keep their clubs alive, often without recognition. Yes, if a club loses 10-15k fans because of relegation a la Mackems but for folk not turning out watching shit club A v shit club B. Total bollocks.

The best thing about English football is the depth of the pyramid. By an absolute mile.

If you read my post you will see that I said that I’m not having a go at lower league fans and that I have said it’s too simple to say that they arn’t turning up out of lack of desire, it’s too simplistic to say that. What I have said is that compared to weekends the attendances appear to be down, with the highlights reel showing a lot of half or mostly empty stadiums. In my view their is clearly an issue which prevents fans from attending midweek games as they would weekend games and lower league clubs need to be assisted to overcome that, even if that did mean smaller leagues.

If you read my post you will see that I said that I’m not having a go at lower league fans and that I have said it’s too simple to say that they arn’t turning up out of lack of desire, it’s too simplistic to say that. What I have said is that compared to weekends the attendances appear to be down, with the highlights reel showing a lot of half or mostly empty stadiums. In my view their is clearly an issue which prevents fans from attending midweek games as they would weekend games and lower league clubs need to be assisted to overcome that, even if that did mean smaller leagues.

Saturdays – no live 3pm matches

Midweek – numerous Champions League matches live

Is surely the main reason?!

Disagree - the logistics of having to get time off work, the issues around public transport, finishing work at 5 and having a lengthy commute, the resistance to take kiddies to a night game (due to school the next day) and maybe even having to find childcare if you’re a single parent will all have much bigger influences than Man City v Napoli being on TV.

It’s a pain in the arse to go to a midweek game, even for home supporters. There are a lot more factors that effect midweek attendances before you start blaming Champions League ties.

Disagree - the logistics of having to get time off work, the issues around public transport, finishing work at 5 and having a lengthy commute, the resistance to take kiddies to a night game (due to school the next day) and maybe even having to find childcare if you’re a single parent will all have much bigger influences than Man City v Napoli being on TV.

It’s a pain in the arse to go to a midweek game, even for home supporters. There are a lot more factors that effect midweek attendances before you start blaming Champions League ties.

This is what I was alluding too.

Guest firetotheworks

That's great like, but since Messi and Ronaldo came on the scene stats like that just seem underwhelming. E.g Messi scoring more hat tricks in a season than Shearer did in his career, or him scoring more goals in a season than Spurs (who finished 4th) did in 11/12.

Still amazing like, we're just spoiled.