Pre-Season 2018/19: Newcastle United 0 - 1 FC Augsburg (FT)

ponsaelius

The concern with De Jong is that he's probably pretty easy to nullify. He's a technically gifted and intelligent footballer, but man mark him with a bit of physicality and that's him out of the game. Even if he had enough strength or tenacity to hold his own I'd probably be saying that he should start.

Is that true though? Surely if you're intelligent and technical you can out think the stronger players?

I don't think it's true. He had no trouble scoring a brace against Man City in the Champions League.

Was a good, cohesive and controlled performance overall before the deluge of subs kind of broke it all up. I'm only wishing we'd invited a slightly better team for us to play, as Verona were utterly dump, fell over a lot like pissed Bank Holiday tarts and didn't have a shot on goal of any note that I can recall.

Atsu and Lejuene were the two to really stand out, but Perez, Manquillo and Ritchie also worthy of mentions. Nobody really did 'badly' apart from perhaps Mitrovic who was the usual mixed bag.

Paully D got forwards and even into the opposition 18-yard box a few times (cue 'nosebleed' comments in the Leazes), that's how bad this mob we were playing were. Didn't look interested in attacking whatsoever.

That image is used on the Chron website as it's comparing the side that started at Fulham (where that image is from) with where we are now. Facebook references random image from the article so looks a bit odd.

Was a good, cohesive and controlled performance overall before the deluge of subs kind of broke it all up. I'm only wishing we'd invited a slightly better team for us to play, as Verona were utterly dump, fell over a lot like p*ssed Bank Holiday tarts and didn't have a shot on goal of any note that I can recall.

Atsu and Lejuene were the two to really stand out, but Perez, Manquillo and Ritchie also worthy of mentions. Nobody really did 'badly' apart from perhaps Mitrovic who was the usual mixed bag.

Paully D got forwards and even into the opposition 18-yard box a few times (cue 'nosebleed' comments in the Leazes), that's how bad this mob we were playing were. Didn't look interested in attacking whatsoever.

Shelvey was running the show to be fair, played some unbelievable balls.

Was a good, cohesive and controlled performance overall before the deluge of subs kind of broke it all up. I'm only wishing we'd invited a slightly better team for us to play, as Verona were utterly dump, fell over a lot like p*ssed Bank Holiday tarts and didn't have a shot on goal of any note that I can recall.

Shelvey was running the show to be fair, played some unbelievable balls.

Aye he was great early doors. Started to fade in the second half slightly but in the first half he used the ball superbly, even for his standards.

Not only did Atsu play well, he did it on the left which is very positive Imo.

Aye agree with this, most of his better performances last year came on the right and without Richie.

It's only Verona obviously but I still feel like it's a positive sign.

That image is used on the Chron website as it's comparing the side that started at Fulham (where that image is from) with where we are now. Facebook references random image from the article so looks a bit odd.

You can specify which one to use. But that would be expecting them to have a competent setup.

Aye agree with this, most of his better performances last year came on the right and without Richie.

Yeah not the strongest opposition :thup: Still looked very comfortable and was better than Ritchie, who himself wasn't bad by any means.

Yeah not the strongest opposition :thup: Still looked very comfortable and was better than Ritchie, who himself wasn't bad by any means.

Also, probably already pointed out, a week behind in pre-season training.

Lejeune was absolute brilliant today, didn't put a foot wrong.

Gave the ball away when trying to play it square from the centre of the box once, aside from that they didn't have a sniff.

Pretty decent performance that. They were absolute shite but I was under the impression at least that our organisation has moved up a level from last year. Shelvey is looking trim, everything he did was exactly perfect except when he knocked the ball back to their keeper and made him run 6-7 yards.

Atsu had their fullback on toast, Perez's finish was tidy and Hayden did excellently until he was moved to right back.

Not really, Hellas have a Coppa Italia game next Saturday.

Yeah really. The Italians started treating their cup comps with contempt a long time before it became fashionable over here.

I'm well aware of that, but they still have a competitive game next week (Coppa or not) and resumed training actually before most of our lot did.

Yeah really. The Italians started treating their cup comps with contempt a long time before it became fashionable over here.

I'm well aware of that, but they still have a competitive game next week (Coppa or not) and resumed training actually before most of our lot did.

I just took a guess that they'd build towards the actual start to their season (league that is given cups mean little to most clubs nowadays).

How....in fact, why, do you know when Verona strated training ? I forgot the date we returned FFS!

I just took a guess that they'd build towards the actual start to their season (league that is given cups mean little to most clubs nowadays).

How....in fact, why, do you know when Verona strated training ? I forgot the date we returned FFS!

I didn't know, I just checked.

I didn't know, I just checked.

When was it then ?

You're actually right. 3rd July for us, Hellas returned for their summer training on the 8th.

Verona played their first friendly 5 days before us though, in the traditional fashion of beating some village team by double figures.

You're actually right. 3rd July for us, Hellas returned for their summer training on the 8th.

Verona played their first friendly 5 days before us though, in the traditional fashion of beating some village team by double figures.

Love the Italians and Germans for that. Think Atalanta had a 15-0 this weekend.

Edit. It was last month but my point stands.