Pre-Season 2018/19: Newcastle United 0 - 1 FC Augsburg (FT)

ponsaelius

The boy enjoyed it, though I think the noise of the second goal gave him a bit of a fright. The daughter was watching peppa pig on my phone by the second half.

Difficult to gauge things based on today; Verona were utterly turd in the first half but improved after the break, though they could hardly do any worse.

Atsu was lively and some lovely slide rule balls inside the full backs from Shelvey, but he isn't going to get that sort of time as much in the PL.

Mitrovic, grafter though he may be, still isn't good enough in my opinion.

Guest firetotheworks

I know Shelvey gets accused of playing too many Hollywood balls, but his accuracy with them is excellent like.

Shelvey was first class today; some truly beautiful short and long passes. Atsu played his best game, on the left, imo. Some lovely little triangles (passing) around their box. Ritchie looked a bit off key still to me, not quite as sharp, passes a little off but ok game. Lejeune was confident though not really tested. Really liked the look of Merino got stuck in at one time, tidy player with good positional sense and plenty of communication/hand signals directing others. I thought Aarons looked dangerous personally. Like shit off a stick at times, great chop inside in the box and seemed good leap  for header he didn't manage to get on target. Murphy had a poor game (unforced errors) as did Lascelles. Perez had good game and de Jong was decent: good movement, one good shot. Aarons left, Murphy right and Ritchie no 10 was an interesting experiment, not sure Hayden at right back was a good idea. Have I missed some news re Gayle? Was concerned not to see him feature in the squad. Also think Hellas Verona weren't as bad as others are saying. They were quite tidy/good at keeping possession at times. Really liked their no4 and no10 looked tricky/effective at times. Enjoyed the game personally. Add a couple of players (Striker and no10) and I would be quite hopeful of a good season.