Mikel Merino

Disco

Love it when a player you've a feeling will be good for no reason at all turns out to be good. Love him.

you don't end up at Dortmund without having something about you tbf :lol:

glad he got his goal  today, hopefully he can push on now and continue his early season form

Guest firetotheworks

He was poor tbh, Diame made a slight difference when he came on, but the goal didn't really align with any wholesale improvement in our play.

He was poor tbh, Diame made a slight difference when he came on, but the goal didn't really align with any wholesale improvement in our play.

Just not true.

We made more play in the final third in the last 10 minutes than the entire 80 before that.

Love it when a player you've a feeling will be good for no reason at all turns out to be good. Love him.

you don't end up at Dortmund without having something about you tbf [emoji38]

glad he got his goal  today, hopefully he can push on now and continue his early season form

Just the classic 'eeeh we've signed young such and such from somewhere FC he'll be mint' and he turns out garbage time after time.

Mickey's gonna stop that rot.

I think his sub still changed our play to an extent. He was uncharacteristically sloppy on the ball but continued to show for it, and seemed to let Shelvey roam a bit more; they've got potential as a partnership.

Diame's sub was more significant because we were basically playing with ten men with Perez out there. Comfortably his worst performance.

Dunno why we couldn't handle the greasy pitch at times. Lads looked like they were on an ice rink at times.

We were more urgent held more possession and more attacking after he came on. Diame too. Certainly a lot down to tired legs. Not to say we looked great then either but we couldn't pass or way out of a paper bag rest of game

Guest firetotheworks

Just not true.

We made more play in the final third in the last 10 minutes than the entire 80 before that.

I watched the match Greg, that's how I saw it. We scored from a corner. The only alternative would have been a long shot, we didn't create anything at any point.

Guest firetotheworks

Diame was the improvement. Thinking it was down to Merino when he was misplacing passes loads is the crazy opinion.

I love Merino, but there's no need to lie to yourself about his influence beyond the goal.

Unfair to say he's lieing to himself just because he saw it differently :lol:

Tbh i agree with Greg, while Merino was misplacing passes there was massive difference in control and our ability to move up the pitch when he came on. Not to say that Diame and IMO Ritchie and Atsu switching wings didn't have a bigger impact but i do think Merino had an impact on the team even if he wasn't passing it great himself.

Diame was the improvement. Thinking it was down to Merino when he was misplacing passes loads is the crazy opinion.

I love Merino, but there's no need to lie to yourself about his influence beyond the goal.

I watched the match KI, that’s how I saw it.

Much better than Hayden who offered nothing.

Just not true.

I watched the match Greg, that's how I saw it. We scored from a corner. The only alternative would have been a long shot, we didn't create anything at any point.

Yes we were shit throughout but last 10/15 minutes we had more going forward than at any time in the game - Diame even managed a shot on target from the edge of the box! We still weren't great in that period but Diame on, Atsu and Ritchie swapped made a small different and give us a bit more going forward compared to the 80 minutes before it.

Guest firetotheworks

I watched the match KI, that’s how I saw it.

Much better than Hayden who offered nothing.

Well you saw it wrong then. [emoji38]

Better than Hayden doesn't really mean anything. The idea that he was the reason we improved overall is nonsense though. For a start, the improvement was very small, second of all it was clearly because of Diame replacing the absolutely shocking Perez. Merino was quite obviously sloppy and didn't really play well.

Guest firetotheworks

Just not true.

Yes we were shit throughout but last 10/15 minutes we had more going forward than at any time in the game - Diame even managed a shot on target from the edge of the box! We still weren't great in that period but Diame on, Atsu and Ritchie swapped made a small different and give us a bit more going forward compared to the 80 minutes before it.

Okay, I partly concede. We improved, but imo it wasn't that big a difference and it had little to do with the way we got our goal.

Either way, fucking get in.

Wait. I'm on about Diame not Merino. Have we got crossed wires here?

Merino did very little when he came on and didn't make much difference. Our play improved when Diame came onand made an impact because Perez may as well have not been on the pitch.

Guest firetotheworks

Merino did very little when he came on and didn't make much difference. Our play improved when Diame came onand made an impact because Perez may as well have not been on the pitch.

:thup: Yep, it looks like it. Agree with all of that.

:thup: Yep, it looks like it. Agree with all of that.

:thup:

Just not true.

From what I've been seeing we almost always finish strongly. That would appear to be more with Rafa's instructions - hold your shape and defend for 75-80 minutes and then attempt to finish off a tired opponent.

Aside from the quote. Thought Merino was well off today, every other pass seemed to be going astray, he didn't know much about the goal but at least it is what he was attempting, ie. in the right attacking position.

Diame certainly adds something different to Perez and I sometimes wonder if Rafa is a little bit stubborn, despite that fact I love him to bits. (Benitez, not Diame or Perez).

(I mean how can you ignore an international who has 8 goals in 13 caps as almost not worthy of a place on the bench, that seems more stubborn than sense to me - I'm not sure I would be ready to trust Mitro with 90 minutes a week but he could get more than left off the bench or 8 minutes here and there, surely.)

I think he sees Gayle as offering something different to Joselu whereas Mitro offers something similar so hasn't been making the bench.

Joselu did well when he first arrived but has been poor last few, I'd start Mitrovic next week but can't see it.

Merino was the difference. Once he came on we began to have more possession and create chances. We were not doing that with Shelvey and Hayden. He was still far from his best, but the team improved. He came on in the 55th minute and that stemmed the one way traffic Palace had enjoyed. We had more of the ball and more chances till the end of the game.  Should start every week.