Mikel Merino

Disco

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5006007/Magical-Mikel-Merino-Real-thing-Newcastle.html

'I certainly see him in a bracket where clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid come into it, considering his age,' he said.

'It's only a matter of time before the very top clubs come looking at him. But we want to be a top club, too. We want him to stay here, we don't want to see any of our top players up for sale again. That is the mentality now.

'He's a fantastic signing from the manager and the scouting department and hopefully we'll see him develop as a player and he fulfils all that potential at Newcastle. He's very, very good.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-united-mikel-merino-transfer-news-barcelona-real-madrid-interest-signing-contract-a8014261.html

Earlier this month, to the relief of Newcastle supporters, his transfer from Borussia Dortmund was made permanent. There is every chance Newcastle have pulled off the signing of the season with the entire deal costing the club less than £10m.

The only major concern among those supporters, however, is the gnawing sense that at some point Barcelona or Real Madrid will come calling for the Spanish Under-21 star, who scored a fine goal with his left foot against Italy and another with his right against Slovakia for his country.

:dowie:

I mean, he's a very promising player but come the fuck on.

It's Martin Hardy as well, he's normally pretty good.

No journalist is good. At the end of the day, they'll all write complete shit to make a story no matter how decent they seem. Especially if they're national. the likes of Waugh and Ryder will try to be on our side but they just can't write.

How many people commenting on Merino were actually at the game?    It was plain to see the difference it made when he came on as it not only gave Shelvey the confidence to kick on and improve but it seemed to spur on various others from being static to then deciding to want to move into space.

He has an aura about him which defies his years. It's reminiscent of Hamann when he was here for a year but on a greater scale.

If he'd been on from the start we might have been more penetrative, earlier. It was so tight in the middle, we could have done with his ability to get out of there quickly.

Still perfectly satisfied with Rafa's decision to rest him. But it was close.

If he'd been on from the start we might have been more penetrative, earlier. It was so tight in the middle, we could have done with his ability to get out of there quickly.

I understand the reasoning why Rafa 'rested' him last week with his new contract to go with him not being at the training ground long enough to work on a game plan for Southampton and the belief that the same starting side could continue where they left off but I reckon he'll be back starting at Burnley next Monday night.

I understand the reasoning why Rafa 'rested' him last week with his new contract to go with him not being at the training ground long enough to work on a game plan for Southampton and the belief that the same starting side could continue where they left off but I reckon he'll be back starting at Burnley next Monday night.

I  think so too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-united-mikel-merino-transfer-news-barcelona-real-madrid-interest-signing-contract-a8014261.html

Earlier this month, to the relief of Newcastle supporters, his transfer from Borussia Dortmund was made permanent. There is every chance Newcastle have pulled off the signing of the season with the entire deal costing the club less than £10m.

The only major concern among those supporters, however, is the gnawing sense that at some point Barcelona or Real Madrid will come calling for the Spanish Under-21 star, who scored a fine goal with his left foot against Italy and another with his right against Slovakia for his country.

:dowie:

I mean, he's a very promising player but come the f*** on.

What a load of shite.  Real and Barca don't just sign players after they've had 1 decent season.  If they do eventually come in for Merino it'll be because he's had 2-3 outstanding seasons with us in the Premier League and forced his way into the Spanish national side.  I don't think anyone would be too unhappy with that situation.

How many people commenting on Merino were actually at the game?    It was plain to see the difference it made when he came on as it not only gave Shelvey the confidence to kick on and improve but it seemed to spur on various others from being static to then deciding to want to move into space.

He has an aura about him which defies his years. It's reminiscent of Hamann when he was here for a year but on a greater scale.

Aye that's true, he's one of those players that even if he doesn't play that well as an individual he makes the whole team play better. That was clear as day against Palace.

He does some like a really caring person. I remember against Swansea or Huddersfield (some away game this season) Hayden got fouled and was down injured but the ref played on, Merino was screaming "Isaac, are you alright Isaac?" and then screaming at the ref to stop the game  :lol: You could see on his face there was genuine care and compassion.

Great lad.

He does some like a really caring person. I remember against Swansea or Huddersfield (some away game this season) Hayden got fouled and was down injured but the ref played on, Merino was screaming "Isaac, are you alright Isaac?" and then screaming at the ref to stop the game  :lol: You could see on his face there was genuine care and compassion.

Great lad.

Hayden was down injured? Stick that in the calendar. Oh, wait.

On Rafa

I’m learning a lot from Rafa. I always had ability to read games but I’m understanding more now.

He looks after the small tactical details and teaches you how every single little thing can be important. In training he’s very professional and expects you to be completely focused but off the pitch Rafa’s a really nice guy. He always takes care of you.

:smitten: