Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Wonder where we'd be if he'd been allowed to get these January signings back in August.

7th or 8th IMO....10 more points or so.

Aye, somewhere close to Burnley & Leicester. Even if Dubravka isn't top class you can see he's a huge upgrade on Darliot.

Darliot  :lol:

Guest neesy111

There's been a few 0-1s and 1-1s where a better keeper saves us a 0-0 or 1-0 win. I know you could say a better striker turns them into 1-1s and 2-1s but even without a striker, I'm convinced we'd be 4-6 points better off.

More cleansheets would had helped recently.  2 clean sheets in previous 17 league games is pretty abysmal.

There's been a few 0-1s and 1-1s where a better keeper saves us a 0-0 or 1-0 win. I know you could say a better striker turns them into 1-1s and 2-1s but even without a striker, I'm convinced we'd be 4-6 points better off.

The Everton game particularly riles me. Not because it was Fat Sam but because Everton were fucking woeful, definitely the worst side to come up here this season and they fucking beat us. Think they only went into our box once or twice the whole game.

but subs

[emoji38]

Was really funny watching the match Sunday with a decent Liverpool fan. He literally knew all the criticisms people might have of Rafa ahead of me talking about them down to him having a hard on for a specific signing so even if he can't get the player he wants he'll go down to #6 on the list (his example was Joselu!).

In games subs and everything, he knew the lot.

Thing is he fucking loves Rafa still, won't have a word said against him.

but subs

[emoji38]

Was really funny watching the match Sunday with a decent Liverpool fan. He literally knew all the criticisms people might have of Rafa ahead of me talking about them down to him having a hard on for a specific signing so even if he can't get the player he wants he'll go down to #6 on the list (his example was Joselu!).

Thing is he f***ing loves Rafa still, won't have a word said against him.

Yeah tbf to them, I read reports from quite a few different Liverpool fans who told us that we'd sometimes be left scratching our heads or outright disagreeing with some decisions he makes, but to stick by him as he's an incredibly thorough manager and it's all part of a grander scheme. They were bang on thus far. People have complained at line ups incessantly this season, but if we end up staying up (and we will), his squad rotation policy will likely have played a massive role in it.

Every season I have been aware of Rafa's work has been the same (as far as I remember). All the issues that have been discussed on here. Baffling selections, missed opportunities and other things that is simply Rafa doing his thing, his way. But he always finished the season stronger than most, which generally vindicates his decisions, but the following season the same questions are asked again.

but subs

[emoji38]

Thing is he f***ing loves Rafa still, won't have a word said against him.

Yeah tbf to them, I read reports from quite a few different Liverpool fans who told us that we'd sometimes be left scratching our heads or outright disagreeing with some decisions he makes, but to stick by him as he's an incredibly thorough manager and it's all part of a grander scheme. They were bang on thus far. People have complained at line ups incessantly this season, but if we end up staying up (and we will), his squad rotation policy will likely have played a massive role in it.

I mentioned rotation a few weeks ago in here actually. I thought we'd see the likes of Merino coming in and shining but so far it's Shelvey/Diame. Same point though, have thought for a while it would give us an advantage over other teams come the end of the season.

We also have the opposite problem with Kenedy and Slimani, who need to get up to full match fitness.

Would be interested in seeing stats on this if someone can find them, but I'd be willing to bet there are a couple teams in the bottom half who have used mostly the same team all season and may limp to the finish. Huddersfield is the one I would guess without looking it up.

I don't think we'll see too much rotation from now on tbh. His reason for rotation early on seems to be so that his best team have enough left in the tank to maintain the final push. I may be wrong but I'm sure that was the case last season.

That's the exact point I'm making though.

I don't think we'll see too much rotation from now on tbh. His reason for rotation early on seems to be so that his best team have enough left in the tank to maintain the final push. I may be wrong but I'm sure that was the case last season.

That's the exact point I'm making though.

I wasn't arguing or even disagreeing with you.

Rafa on taking players abroad: "Our idea is to train and keep the players happy with their families. Some people prefer to go away at this time of year. But when you are travelling away throughout the season in the Premier League and the cups and you are also training most days I don’t think players get the time to spend with their family. So if you can give them that time back it is much better for them."