Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

If I was him, I wouldn't sign a contract until after the window.

100%. That's the stance Rafa needs to take.

Hard to get people to agree to join the club when the managers future is up in the air though. As much as I'd love him to take the same stance.

Few good comments on RAWK Forum;

He wont go to West Ham.

I agree. Just not what he is about. It would be a huge wrench to leave the supporters up in Newcastle. Even at the lowest ebb here under the pair of weapons did he leave. He just couldn`t bring himself to do it.

Benitez is only ruthless in his football management, turns into a total sop imo once a group of people take him to heart. The way your fans have been with him, he'll try his best to find a path with Ashley. If every route is blocked - you really have no excuse for not spending 60 - 80 mil next season - he leaves having done a superb job.

Edit: Perfect time to have it out and bring matters to a head, he's had 3 less than satisfactory windows, even the Newcastle fans must know it's a pointless charade to fight for top half every season with one hand behind your back when you know, as a manager, you can aim for the top 6 and trophies just by being run competently. If the information you're getting is Ashley's still Ashley....well, the decision's made for you.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yep, but conversely if I were the club I would want him tied down before spending any money. It’s a sad state of affairs though and they only have themselves to blame for the current state of play. Give him what he needs during the transfer window and I’m sure he will extend his contract I’m sure.

This is just what the media does with West Ham. This summer they will be linked with several big name players, some of them they will apparently be favourites to sign, but none of it will happen.

Hard to get people to agree to join the club when the managers future is up in the air though. As much as I'd love him to take the same stance.

Ultimately, that still rests on Ashley's shoulders. If we can't sign players because Rafa hasn't committed, the finger still gets pointed at Ashley.

No lose situation for Rafa as far as I am concerned. I want him to take that stance.

Has Rafa ever left a job of his own accord?

Rafa has a lot of integrity man. It's a major reason he is so loved and respected by fans.

I think if he departs it won't be this way. Think he will fight to do the best he can in the interest of the club in these negotiations he is currently having. He has a great connection with the fans and his current group of players. i just can't see him leaving that so suddenly.

If he ultimately leaves it will be at the end of next season having not managed to agree on a new contract for whatever reason.

I don't think he'll leave either, or at least he doesn't want to, but he will be using this to try to get Ashley to give him control of transfers as well as a good warchest to buy players so we can kick on next season.

Wow what happened to this thread, so much unnecessary bed whetting since I woke up and logged on this morning ?

Ian and few other sane folks have mentioned it. But he's not going anywhere yet, he might still go, but that'll only happen if he's not given the assurances he needs, those talks are no where near over yet. People need to seriously calm down. Rafa won't deny any potential link, in fact he'll probably encourage it as it strengthens his hand. We'll find out soon enough, within the next couple of weeks or so I would think, as to how far apart the two parties are.

Oh and on West Ham, they promised to have someone in place in 10 days (that's not going to work for Rafa's timetable).  They are run but two people who give Ashley a run for his money in the cunt stakes. The fan base is rabid and what connection they had to the community was severed when they moved. Their biggest gripe with the current owners is a lack of ambition and investment. Although they obviously made the decision to not stick with Moyes, apparently he was also a little wary of continuing on as he wasn't in control of the transfer dealings there. It's really a poor fit for Rafa.

Would anyone feel any malice towards him if he does leave for West Ham?

I would feel let down by him as it would be obliviously money (personal wage) motivated.

I wouldn't want him to do well, and I certainly would question his judgement in going there.

Guest reefatoon

I would feel let down by him as it would be obliviously money (personal wage) motivated.

Well that's not true at all.

No I didn't mean it like that but that is the only reason I can see he would leave as apparently West Ham would be offering more than us.

Guest reefatoon

No I didn't mean it like that but that is the only reason I can see he would leave as apparently West Ham would be offering more than us.

I think he would leave if a club offered him what he wanted to do the job to the best of his ability (not personal wage). If Newcastle offer him that he will stay no matter how much extra personal wage he would be offered elsewhere.

Best way to tie him down would be to sign a couple of the players he’s after before any contract has been signed. Show him that they can still work on deals and his contract at the same time. Too often they have only been able to do 1 job.

Ultimately, that still rests on Ashley's shoulders. If we can't sign players because Rafa hasn't committed, the finger still gets pointed at Ashley.

No lose situation for Rafa as far as I am concerned. I want him to take that stance.

But if he then stays he's screwed himself.

For those using their owners as a reason as to why he wouldn't go there (which is amazing in itself with our twat of an owner!)........

“I have a lot of respect for West Ham because, when I was in contact with them, they were really good and professional,” while Sullivan said: “Rafa Benitez was within three hours of signing for us.

“Every clause in his contract was agreed and then he went to Real Madrid. It was a real blow because he is a really experienced manager in England and did really well in Italy.

“We had an agreement in place but you have to pick yourself up, look who else is available and pick the best you can.”

Pretty sure he said similar about Charnley when he first took over Tbf

But if he then stays he's screwed himself.

He would, I agree, but only for a maximum of 12 months. He'll still be much sought after that time. I have no doubt that he'd have options available to him therefore he can be honourable to his contract and also fuck Ashley at the same time by not allowing him to get any compensation when he leaves the club.

It's a shame that Ashley wont really care a jot :lol:

Guest The Little Waster

Best way to tie him down would be to sign a couple of the players he’s after before any contract has been signed. Show him that they can still work on deals and his contract at the same time. Too often they have only been able to do 1 job.

Don’t hold your breath ...

Guest The Little Waster

Grow up

Don’t hold your breath ...

Welcome our new signings Colbeckovic and Mitrodinho. Job done.