Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Aye, mirror those condolences to you Paully, an utterly horrific new year, but so happy that Rafa, the legend that he is, has sought to bring some light back into your life.

The man is a truly rare jewel in an ocean of corruption and greed.

Rafa Benitez says he could have walked out on Newcastle for big-money offers elsewhere and admits that staying is a risk to his reputation.

The Spaniard's contract expires in the summer and, given his increasingly downbeat mood in recent weeks, it looks unlikely he will sign a new deal.

Benitez has revealed that he has turned down lucrative approaches - thought to be from China - in the vain hope of being given the financial backing he craves from owner Mike Ashley.

'This club was an opportunity to be in the top 10,' he said when asked why he has not already quit.

'We couldn't save the team in the first year and then we won the Championship, so we said, "OK, now is the time (to invest)".

'Then you say the first year back in the Premier League is quite difficult but we finished 10th, "now is the time".

'Then it's the third year, and you try, you try, but…' Benitez sighed, before he added: 'I had teams and agents talking (to me) with more money than here.

'Still I want to do something here, I want to stay in England. I'm close to my family, the fans have been fantastic, so you try to do something properly.

'It's a challenge, but it's a risk. Yes, it's a risk. I will try to do my best to win every single game, but obviously it depends on the players that you have.'

Benitez said last month it would be a 'miracle' for Newcastle to survive. But he has rejected the suggestion his comments have created a negative energy around the club.

'I don't think so,' he said ahead of Saturday's trip to Chelsea. 'If you talk about the other teams at the bottom of the table, they are not as big as Newcastle United, a massive club with 52,000 fans at every game and 9,000 when you go away sometimes.

'The reality is that we have to compete in a division when we cannot compete against Bournemouth, who are spending money. That doesn't mean you are negative, just realistic.'

Meanwhile, Benitez refused to comment on the investigation into Under-23s coach Peter Beardsley, who has now been suspended for a full year amid allegations of racism and bullying. 'I prefer to concentrate on Chelsea,' he said.

?

He’s fucking dejected at this point. I understand why he’s still trying to get the fans on side, it gives the players something extra when it’s going well.

It can also affect them negatively, 52k groaning after 15 minutes when nothing is going right pretty much fucks the team for the rest of the game.

As much as I love the man, I love what used to be the club even more and for that reason I want everyone to fuck off away from the club until Ashley is gone.

Sunderland levels of deserting. Let’s face it, Mike Ashley is going nowhere, he’s never going to spend money for this manager. Fuck knows why? Maybe he’s afraid we’ll qualify for Europe..

Until every single one of us turns our back on the club, the fat cunt will remain.

Some day when it’s all over, maybe Rafa will come back again and really do some good things, just like Keegan did.. he’s still young enough to have that drive to succeed. His dna will be in the club for years to come unless Ashley gets a special kind of spastic in to replace him.

To say we cannot compete with the other 19 teams in the divisions is an absolute piss take to be honest. Rafa knows the owner is shackling us and restricting any progression and its his reputation on the line

We will go down I have no doubts about it and when we do Rafa needs to blow the whistle on all of these absolute fucking cretins hes had to endure for the last 3 years

Ashley, Charnley, Barnes, Bishop et al.......theres a special place in hell for you 4 cunts

Rafa Benitez says he could have walked out on Newcastle for big-money offers elsewhere and admits that staying is a risk to his reputation.

The Spaniard's contract expires in the summer and, given his increasingly downbeat mood in recent weeks, it looks unlikely he will sign a new deal.

Benitez has revealed that he has turned down lucrative approaches - thought to be from China - in the vain hope of being given the financial backing he craves from owner Mike Ashley.

'This club was an opportunity to be in the top 10,' he said when asked why he has not already quit.

'We couldn't save the team in the first year and then we won the Championship, so we said, "OK, now is the time (to invest)".

'Then you say the first year back in the Premier League is quite difficult but we finished 10th, "now is the time".

'Then it's the third year, and you try, you try, but…' Benitez sighed, before he added: 'I had teams and agents talking (to me) with more money than here.

'Still I want to do something here, I want to stay in England. I'm close to my family, the fans have been fantastic, so you try to do something properly.

'It's a challenge, but it's a risk. Yes, it's a risk. I will try to do my best to win every single game, but obviously it depends on the players that you have.'

Benitez said last month it would be a 'miracle' for Newcastle to survive. But he has rejected the suggestion his comments have created a negative energy around the club.

'I don't think so,' he said ahead of Saturday's trip to Chelsea. 'If you talk about the other teams at the bottom of the table, they are not as big as Newcastle United, a massive club with 52,000 fans at every game and 9,000 when you go away sometimes.

'The reality is that we have to compete in a division when we cannot compete against Bournemouth, who are spending money. That doesn't mean you are negative, just realistic.'

Meanwhile, Benitez refused to comment on the investigation into Under-23s coach Peter Beardsley, who has now been suspended for a full year amid allegations of racism and bullying. 'I prefer to concentrate on Chelsea,' he said.

fucking grim

Man of his word or not man id have much more respect for him if he just said you know what fuck this and fuck all of you cretins. I wouldn't tolerate that sort of shite in my job id leave and get something else

Rafa is not desperate for money neither will he short of job offers.....so why is he still here man

Is it possible that Ashley is not investing because Rafa is a fans Favourite.

Starve him of funds and allow him to walk, rather than sacking him and getting the fans on his back ?

Ashley hasn't invested in 11 years we were hearing the same sort of quotes from Pardew I would love to know how much he has taken out of the club in all those years.

Where are they from, those quotes above? Just watched the presser and there was none of that; just reiterating that he won't talk about the transfer window and that we have to compensate the lack of spending by staying united (and not to waste time and energy by criticising).

Are they really not going to sanction any signings? Even last season, which was pretty damn frugal, he still let us bring in three loanees, two of which had a huge impact. We badly, badly need that again.

Expands on some stuff here, says we need to take an 'extra step' with signings like we did last season in January. Also justifying some of the Championship signings he's presumably been reprimanded for:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-transfers-rafa-benitez-15666133#ICID=ios_ChronicleNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Wish people would stop saying it's the £6m clause that stops him just walking away, other clubs would have paid it and he could afford it himself if he wanted to.

He's wants to stay here and is staying until he's contract runs out in the fading hope the club does get bought out before that contract finally does indeed end, that and he's an honourable man.

He'll be most reluctant to leave as he knows the potential in the club if we were free of the fat anchor dragging us down.

To say he's only staying to avoid paying his contract clause is insulting to him imo.

I still can't believe it's a case of he has to pay 6 million to just resign and be unemployed like. Who the fuck signs a deal like that? It's literally a guarantee you're going to be fucked over.

Also, I get what he's trying to do with those quotes. But it's asking an awful lot of people to tell them there's no future, no light at the end of the tunnel, then still ask them to turn up and support the team. Fans are only human and there gets a point where even someone like him isn't enough to keep people interested anymore.

Man of his word or not man id have much more respect for him if he just said you know what fuck this and fuck all of you cretins. I wouldn't tolerate that sort of shite in my job id leave and get something else

Rafa is not desperate for money neither will he short of job offers.....so why is he still here man

Have patience man, he won't be much longer. It's what, another 4 months before the season finishes?