Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm just hoping he goes to a club I don't dislike so I can continue following his team.

At NUFC, he's proved he's still organizationally and motivationally very sound. The only remaining question would be whether he could use more resources to build a squad and produce tactics capable of consistently beating park-the-bus opposition. With us, I think he's looked the most defensively sound manager in the league. The lack of resources given to him have denied us any chance to see what he can do offensively at Premier League level.

I still can't believe it's a case of he has to pay 6 million to just resign and be unemployed like. Who the fuck signs a deal like that? It's literally a guarantee you're going to be fucked over.

Makes sense to me he'd sign something like that because it's a common sense sort of clause that I'd expect to be there. Thinking about it:

[*]The clause would have been aimed at getting money if Rafa is poached by another club and therefore has to exist. If this clause doesn't exist then he could be tapped up by a club like West Ham/ManU/Everton/etc, resign with no fee, and then be free to sign with whoever he wanted 6 months later.

[*]This clause is probably a mirror of a bigger compensation clause should the club sack Rafa (like Mourinho and his £22m payout for getting the boot). Kind of a fair deal for both parties actually and what you'd expect during contract negotiations, if he gets sacked he gets compensated, if he leaves the club gets compensated. You'd have to be a terrible negotiator to have a one way clause only.

[*]It was signed at a time when Ashley was making promises about money and being in charge of transfers, hence why Carr left soon after. He may have evaluated the risks vs rewards and decided it was acceptable to sign a 3 year contract. If Ashley doesn't screw him over he turns NUFC into a top 8 club. If Ashley does screw him over, he just sees his contract out and lets the wider footballing community know what the situation is. He still gets paid and he's still near his family. In the absolute worst case scenario where his job is made untenable he quits and sues for constructive dismissal.

Guest firetotheworks
:lol: I dunno how I ended up in the Pardew thread earlier, but I'd forgotten that him and the rest of the mensa lads insisted that Pardew had made us all look like fools. :lol:

Guest neesy111

think rafa should go full strength tuesday night. really need to fuck blackburn over and gain a little confidence.

No. No. No.

think rafa should go full strength tuesday night. really need to fuck blackburn over and gain a little confidence.

I take the point, but it’s just impossible to risk Rondon. Everybody else (except Dummett as usual) there’s at least some (poor) degree of cover for. Imagine going through the rest of the season with Joselu up front...

Edit - actually same applies to Dubravka

At this point I couldn't care.

He's gone in the summer, no disrespect but the squad it's fuckin shocking regardless what way it's picked/set up.

We stay up....so fuck?

We get relegated as we should....so fuck?

We progress in the cup....so fuck?

We're such a nothing club now with no future.  Absolute pits.

The Mirror ate reporting that Rafa's £6 million release clause has expired and he is free to leave for nothing.

It’s not unreasonable to think it might not apply in the last six months of the contract? He’s still going to stay until May (unless Ashley fires him early).

The Mirror ate reporting that Rafa's £6 million release clause has expired and he is free to leave for nothing.

it’s not about money for him, he’s a decent bloke and sees it through.

I’d want no one else’s tactical knowledge in charge of the team than Rafa right now, the bloke deserves to keep us up, tuck his glasses away and say to his mate “come on let’s fuck off “.

I think there's a decent chance he sees out the window and if he doesn't like the way it's went he resigns. It would be best for everyone if he does as it means no takeover and no help from Ashley to sign players. He's keeping the club up so Ashley can drain it some more with someone else. It's counter productive to getting our club back.