Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Benitez said: “One day it’s one thing, another day it’s another.

“We have individual errors that are costing us points.

“We have changed the team, the shape and players - and still we are losing so we have to take responsibility, starting with me and that’s it.”

Newcastle now travel to Arsenal at the weekend, and Benitez admits he must lift his players.

Benitez said: “I have the same feeling that all the fans have.

“The team started the game well and had chances, we were on top and had the game under control, then we made a mistake.

“The way they were wasting time makes it even more difficult in this situation.”

“We hit the crossbar and the post, we were unlucky.

“But still we are making mistakes that are costing us points.

“The only thing you can take as a positive is our approach in the game and the performance of the players in the first half.

“The negatives are the final result.

“It’s difficult to accept and understand.

“We have to make sure the players aren’t down for too long because we must get ready for the next game.”

Ever since the takeover talk set in, these players look shell shocked. He could have done more to get their minds back on the job but they seem elsewhere at the moment.

Didn't see the game but as soon as i saw the teamsheet i feared the worst.  Why does Rafa always have to pick at least 1 knacker to start in every game?  Diame is f***ing atrocious we're almost playing with 10 men with him in the side.  I honestly don't understand what he's in the side for.

Didn't see the game but as soon as i saw the teamsheet i feared the worst.  Why does Rafa always have to pick at least 1 knacker to start in every game? 

10 years of under investment for the fatty.

ASHLEY OUT.

Didn't see the game but as soon as i saw the teamsheet i feared the worst.  Why does Rafa always have to pick at least 1 knacker to start in every game?

Because the squad is full of players who aren't good enough. I'm sure Rafa loves that he has to choose from Diame or Ayozé in the 10 or play Joselu as CF.

People keep asking why this player is playing/not playing, he only has a squad of mainly Championship players. If we had Hazard to bring on off the bench then maybe he might make game changing subs

Because the squad is full of players who aren't good enough. I'm sure Rafa loves that he has to choose from Diame or Ayozé in the 10 or play Joselu as CF.

People keep asking why this player is playing/not playing, he only has a squad of mainly Championship players. If we had Hazard to bring on off the bench then maybe he might make game changing subs

Not sure why you mentioned Hazard, that was a bit weird but never mind.

I'm aware we've got a poor squad but that doesn't mean you can't question his team selections.  I love Rafa but he's been poor in that respect recently IMO. 

Got to start earning his massive salary now like.

What is it you expect him to do? Order his defence to stop conceding goals? Get what we always knew was a poor strike force to start scoring freely? All he can really do is organise the team and hope they do their jobs.

Don’t sign them in the first place because they are not good enough.

Most of them were signed to take us out of the championship.

This^

Anyone who cant see this is a bit special.

So Joselu and Manquillo were bought for the Championship were they? Get your facts right first before you try and be clever.

What is it you expect him to do? Order his defence to stop conceding goals? Get what we always knew was a poor strike force to start scoring freely? All he can really do is organise the team and hope they do their jobs.

This^

So Joselu and Manquillo were bought for the Championship were they? Get your facts right first before you try and be clever.

Joselu was a Murphy replacement and Manquillo was obvious cover for fullbacks. Rafa didn’t sign them with the intention of being regulars in the first team and their fees reflect that. It’s well documented he got screwed over in the transfer window and we didn’t land the players he wanted or spend the money he was promised so it’s a bit daft to judge this as a Rafa side.

Hmm, another chance for three points gone.

Darlow's error changed the whole game, against the run of play. After it, we simply failed to beat the parked bus, itself not a major sin. The sin was the free goal that let them park it. I don't like Manquillo, or Diame very much to be honest, but Darlow was by far the biggest problem in that team. I hope we never see him again.

I like that we are starting games positively, but are the lads fit enough to keep it up? We seem to running out of steam a lot.

This^

Joselu was a Murphy replacement and Manquillo was obvious cover for fullbacks. Rafa didn’t sign them with the intention of being regulars in the first team and their fees reflect that. It’s well documented he got screwed over in the transfer window and we didn’t land the players he wanted or spend the money he was promised so it’s a bit daft to judge this as a Rafa side.

You don’t buy shit end of are people honestly on a different planet here. If you buy shit you get shit and if he didn’t intend them to be first team players well they are though and that’s the problem. I’ve said all along I think he was shafted but you don’t then settle for your 5th and 6th choices just because you want bodies in your team. If you buy shit you get shit but the biggest criticism is that these two continuously keep getting regular game time when their performances have been woeful.

This^

You don’t buy s*** end of are people honestly on a different planet here. If you buy s*** you get s*** and if he didn’t intend them to be first team players well they are though and that’s the problem. I’ve said all along I think he was shafted but you don’t then settle for your 5th and 6th choices just because you want bodies in your team. If you buy s*** you get s*** but the biggest criticism is that these two continuously keep getting regular game time when their performances have been woeful.

Eh?

What should he have done instead in your opinion? Genuine question.

This^

You don’t buy s*** end of are people honestly on a different planet here. If you buy s*** you get s*** and if he didn’t intend them to be first team players well they are though and that’s the problem. I’ve said all along I think he was shafted but you don’t then settle for your 5th and 6th choices just because you want bodies in your team. If you buy s*** you get s*** but the biggest criticism is that these two continuously keep getting regular game time when their performances have been woeful.

So what do you do then if the club you work for wont buy you your top targets and you think he shouldnt have went for his fifth or sixth choice targets?

This^

They aren't even the reason we've been losing so many games. Not that it makes them good enough, but they wouldn't have been here if Rafa had been supported properly in the transfer market, and you probably know that.

This^

Eh?

What should he have done instead in your opinion? Genuine question.

Just don’t buy the players and keep coming out at Ashley as to the reasons why. What is the point in buying players who were never good enough and will never be good enough. But to me the most worrying thing is these players are still getting regular game time despite being woeful

He made hard work of last season and is certainly struggling this season too.

I agree, I do wish all these other teams would just roll over and let us win like when Keegan was in charge.

There are two problems: we got shit players, and Rafa doesn't know how to use shit players.  Allardyce is the opposite: he doesn't know how to use quality players but he knows how to use shit players.

The question is just whether we got enough quality players in January for Rafa to work on and survive, or not enough quality players and Rafa brings us down.