Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

A) he doesn't want to give Ashley the satisfaction or his money

B) he doesn't want to let the supporters down

C) he's probably holding on in the faint hope that Ashley will sell up before he goes himself

I think that pretty much covers it.

Because leaving now means it will cost him and whilst he probably could have a case of constructive dismissal why should be have to go through all of that when he can just walk away next summer.

More fool him signing a contract like that knowing full well what Ashley is like. So it's just a dead season till he slopes off then this all dies down next summer then repeat. I'm sorry I loved Rafa an that but this is about way more than him now. He won't be here much longer anyhow it's Ashley out at all costs for the sake of the club

He signed this contract in 2016 just after we got relegated, he clearly thought Ashley wouldn't be as destructive as he's been in the past and he wasn't alone in thinking that.

Having a go at Rafa is not the right thing to do here, he's very much on our side.

Rafa Benítez has expressed his “sympathy” for the Newcastle United supporters who are ramping up their protests against Mike Ashley, the club’s contentious owner.

Newcastle fans are to demonstrate outside the city’s main Sports Direct outlet before their team’s meeting with Chelsea on Sunday in a bid to draw attention to Ashley’s running of the club and amid fears that Benítez will leave Tyneside when his contract expires next summer.

It will be the second successive Newcastle home game that supporters have targeted Ashley’s sportswear shop, with the first protest attracting several hundred attendees and national media coverage.

Fans have responded to Benítez’s concerns about the manner in which Newcastle do their transfer business. At the end of last season, Ashley said that the Spaniard would be given “every penny,” the club generates, but they made a profit of at least £18 million in the summer window.

That and similar previous disappointments has seen Benítez rebuff attempts by Newcastle to extend his present deal in spite of his affection for the club and its supporters and, asked directly about their protests, he spoke of his empathy for their position.

“I have been talking for two months about what we have to do and why we have to do this and which is the way to do it based on my experience as a manager for years and years,” he said.

“I said after we finished the transfer window finished, we have to concentrate on that.

“But I have a lot of sympathy for our fans because they are really good. They know the city, they know the club, they know the northeast and how well you can live here, they know all these things.

“They would like to see the club do things in one way. What I would say is just be sure that when you go to the stadium, you support the team because it’s the only way for us to be stronger. The other things, I have to respect them and I have to concentrate on my job.”

Benítez is not in any rush to resume talks about his contract. “We will talk in the future about that, my contract is not an issue now,” he said. “When we finished the window we said we have to improve, we did business late and we have improve on that and we have to concentrate on that. We have to do our best.”

A) he doesn't want to give Ashley the satisfaction or his money

B) he doesn't want to let the supporters down

C) he's probably holding on in the faint hope that Ashley will sell up before he goes himself

I think that pretty much covers it.

:thup:

Notice he also said 'support the team not the regime' anarl.

No he didn't.

'What I would say is just be sure that when you go to the stadium, you support the team because it’s the only way for us to be stronger. The other things, I have to respect them...'

His message was a clear one that he understands our frustrations and gets us in a way that no manager for years has. Without actually coming out and saying he supports all the actions being taken, Ashley is a lying cunt etc I have no idea what some of you want him to do!

Yeah I don't get all this fawning over him anymore. He has put up with 2 monumental shaftings last 2 summers. If he was that unhappy he would have left. He is just keeping fans content and any real pressure off Ashley in my oppinion

I'm sure you would be happy if Rafa left, unfortunately I think Ashley would be as well. No doubt he'd give his right arm to have a Pardew or McClaren to lick his ring piece in public rather than have Rafa taking veiled digs.

Veiled digs are nowt. Either come out and say it how it is and leave or he just puts up with it for some weird reason till may. I so wish it turned out different for him here and this is in no way his fault obviously but he dosent need this at all now and the only person benefitting from him staying is Ashley

You didn’t answer the question

Yes three valid points so what is going to happen next summer if/when he goes then? Is that the end game? Do people expect all out war then on Ashley? Just feels like we are waiting for next May for whatever is going to happen to happen. That's why I can't get any interest at all in games at the moment

I completely get your frustration mate, don't get me wrong, I feel like I'm in some kind of malaise, waiting for the inevitable, like it's some kind of incurable cancer and I just want it done already. I can't bring myself to enjoy this season and I should be taking in every last second we have this glorious man as our manager, we very well might not get a chance like this in the next decade or more. However I will not ever place this feeling on Rafa, none of this is his fault, he just loves the club, the supporters and the city, the same as the rest of us. Without a doubt there is one man only to blame for any of this and he is the one that should feel every fibre of your anger/frustration, attack him and his shoddy little jumble sale empire in any way you can because him leaving is the only way any of us will feel any pride in this club again.

Don't wait for May, May needs to be the deadline to remove this cancer, not the start of some belated campaign.

Yeah I don't get all this fawning over him anymore. He has put up with 2 monumental shaftings last 2 summers. If he was that unhappy he would have left. He is just keeping fans content and any real pressure off Ashley in my oppinion

I'm sure you would be happy if Rafa left, unfortunately I think Ashley would be as well. No doubt he'd give his right arm to have a Pardew or McClaren to lick his ring piece in public rather than have Rafa taking veiled digs.

Veiled digs are nowt. Either come out and say it how it is and leave or he just puts up with it for some weird reason till may. I so wish it turned out different for him here and this is in no way his fault obviously but he dosent need this at all now and the only person benefitting from him staying is Ashley

I think Ashley would prefer it if he walked tbh. He's shown he's got a thin skin on plenty of occasions, he does not like managers who don't lick his arse. He got rid of Hughton because he wouldn't fall in line, virtually made it impossible for Keegan to manage the club, and his appointments of yes men since, shows that he doesn't want dissent or public criticism. Every dig Rafa has will be raising the fat cunt's blood pressure.

Yeah it's just massive frustration getting home on a bank holiday weekend when I would usually be out Sunday seeing mates and going to the match but I feel nothing for it other than sheer hate for Ashley. Just needed an outlet to vent. Oh yeah i agree none of it is his fault and with a normal owner we would be in for special times. I feel for Rafa more than anything he dosent need or deserve this but I just think him being here keeps a large amount of our support blind to Ashley. I fear if/when he goes next summer that nothing really happens. If that's the case then we are done for if we aren't already

Yeah but him staying is giving Ashley a far far easier ride than he would get if Rafa walked. If he is staying till may he needs to come out an say more against Ashley fuck these little veil digs

He's a professional mate, you seem to be overlooking this. He's also a massive football guy into coaching etc.  which is another reason he's not walked.

Make me 3 examples of football managers who have come out and went to war on their employers. Just doesn't happen.

It would be incredible if Rafa martyred himself for us but it's not realistic to expect it. He's got a job to do and he'll do it, that's why he's so mint.

Ultimately, the way things are at present gives NUFC the best springboard to fulfil it's potential.

He's doing his job, whilst the players do their's and the fans just need to do their bit now inside and outside the ground.

Stay up, remove Ashley, keep Benitez. That's how this club moves forward. Not making a martyr of himself like Keegan did. (tin hat)

Yeah I agree as long as the fans doing there part involve constant anti Ashley chants inside the ground too

I think supporting the team for the most part then chanting about Ashley for the last 5/10minutes at every game is the way to go at the moment. Protest at every home game in some form and the occasional away game too and constantly do it online and via the media. Then as the transfer window closes after January we start turning the screw more, and more.

Guest covmag

Yeah I agree as long as the fans doing there part involve constant anti Ashley chants inside the ground too

Rafa doesn't want these chants brought to the match though?

Rafa doesn't want these chants brought to the match though?

As long as the support remains throughout the game I can't see it impacting on the team.

I think supporting the team for the most part then chanting about Ashley for the last 5/10minutes at every game is the way to go at the moment. Protest at every home game in some form and the occasional away game too and constantly do it online and via the media. Then as the transfer window closes after January we start turning the screw more, and more.

I think the time to turn would be post January surely, if the club don't tie him down to a new contract (which they obviously won't) then burn it all down as it won't matter anyway.

You didn’t answer the question

What question?

I think the time to turn would be post January surely, if the club don't tie him down to a new contract (which they obviously won't) then burn it all down as it won't matter anyway.

So what if he does sign a new contract? He could sign one today and it wouldn't change a thing for me. What's to say he wouldn't put up with another 2 years like we have had in the transfer windows.

Ashley out is the be all and end all. With or without Rafa or whatever else. Obviously I would rather Rafa stays but hammering Ashley is far more important than Rafa Benitez