Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Howe would be a better shout.

1 club pony

How many managers could have kept Bournemouth in the Premier league while still playing attacking football? If he's a 1 club pony, he's done a fantastic job at that 1 club.

1 club pony

How many managers could have kept Bournemouth in the Premier league while still playing attacking football? If he's a 1 club pony, he's done a fantastic job at that 1 club.

With their budget, quite a few

1 club pony

With their budget, quite a few

I wasn't aware they were a minted club. Which big players have they bought?

Anyone who begrudges Rafa for that China move is a fucking idiot imo. He hung on for an appropriate offer from NUFC, and when that wasn't forthcoming, there was an offer from China to become one of the best paid managers in the world. They're investing hundreds of millions in the club and he's at the centre of it. It's different if you're a player, where you've only got a maximum of 7 or 8 years at your peak. Benitez, on the other hand, has already achieved absolutely shitloads at the top of his trade and he's still got at least a dozen years until he packs it in. He'll be back in Europe eventually, of course he will. Why the fuck wouldn't you go to Dalian, all things considered?

I think people must think it's some kind of pub league. It's clearly got flaws and is obviously way behind the top European leagues, but it's not some backwater nowhere-land. It's a massive nationwide investment and - at that particular club - Benitez is at the heart of everything they're doing. For a football obsessive and a perfectionist, it's an ideal project. Again, why the fuck wouldn't you go there?

The bloke is a great man and a brilliant football manager. The fact we let him go is the single most disgraceful act 'the club' has made in my lifetime. It had nothing to do with him, or him getting dollar signs in his eyeballs - he wanted to stay and make us great, but wasn't going to be allowed to. The responsibility for his leaving lies squarely at the utter pieces of shit who sit atop the pile at NUFC; a decision grounded in ulterior motives that have absolutely fuck all to do with behaving like a proper football club.

Why that isn't accepted by 100% of the fanbase is absolutely infuriating to me.

so they offered him an 8 year contract. and he had to agree to spunking over £60m of his budget on joelinton and ASM.

That article sums up perfectly why we have ended up with Steve Bruce as manager in place of Rafa.

"This was the same idea, a chance to build something, a challenge. It was big project versus no project. The decision was easy."

Guest neesy111

Anyone who begrudges Rafa for that China move is a fucking idiot imo. He hung on for an appropriate offer from NUFC, and when that wasn't forthcoming, there was an offer from China to become one of the best paid managers in the world. They're investing hundreds of millions in the club and he's at the centre of it. It's different if you're a player, where you've only got a maximum of 7 or 8 years at your peak. Benitez, on the other hand, has already achieved absolutely shitloads at the top of his trade and he's still got at least a dozen years until he packs it in. He'll be back in Europe eventually, of course he will. Why the fuck wouldn't you go to Dalian?

I think people must think it's some kind of pub league. It's clearly got flaws and is obviously way behind the top European leagues, but it's not some backwater nowhere-land. It's a massive investment and - at that particular club - Benitez is at the heart of everything they're doing. For a football obsessive and a perfectionist, it's an ideal project. Again, why the fuck wouldn't you go there?

The bloke is a great man and a brilliant football manager. The fact we let him go is the single most disgraceful act 'the club' has made in my lifetime. It had nothing to do with him, or him getting dollar signs in his eyeballs, he wanted to stay and make us great. The responsibility for his leaving lies squarely at the utter pieces of shit who sit atop the pile at NUFC; a decision grounded in ulterior motives that have absolutely fuck all to do with behaving like a proper football club.

:thup:

Want to read that, but I don’t if that makes sense :(

You should read it. I read a similar version in the Times this morning, if you avoid it you are handing the narrative to Ashley and his arse licking fan base that fill 40k seats every week.

Guest Howaythetoon

You should read it. I read a similar version in the Times this morning, if you avoid it you are handing the narrative to Ashley and his arse licking fan base that fill 40k seats every week.

I will, but it will piss me off no end, I’m always happy for Rafa getting a decent job he can wok his magic at. Just wish he was still here, but was 100% correct to leave! :(

Guest Howaythetoon

Anyone who begrudges Rafa for that China move is a fucking idiot imo. He hung on for an appropriate offer from NUFC, and when that wasn't forthcoming, there was an offer from China to become one of the best paid managers in the world. They're investing hundreds of millions in the club and he's at the centre of it. It's different if you're a player, where you've only got a maximum of 7 or 8 years at your peak. Benitez, on the other hand, has already achieved absolutely shitloads at the top of his trade and he's still got at least a dozen years until he packs it in. He'll be back in Europe eventually, of course he will. Why the fuck wouldn't you go to Dalian, all things considered?

I think people must think it's some kind of pub league. It's clearly got flaws and is obviously way behind the top European leagues, but it's not some backwater nowhere-land. It's a massive nationwide investment and - at that particular club - Benitez is at the heart of everything they're doing. For a football obsessive and a perfectionist, it's an ideal project. Again, why the fuck wouldn't you go there?

The bloke is a great man and a brilliant football manager. The fact we let him go is the single most disgraceful act 'the club' has made in my lifetime. It had nothing to do with him, or him getting dollar signs in his eyeballs - he wanted to stay and make us great, but wasn't going to be allowed to. The responsibility for his leaving lies squarely at the utter pieces of shit who sit atop the pile at NUFC; a decision grounded in ulterior motives that have absolutely fuck all to do with behaving like a proper football club.

Spot the fuck on :thup:

A million percent this

A million percent this

I will, but it will piss me off no end, I’m always happy for Rafa getting a decent job he can wok his magic at. Just wish he was still here, but was 100% correct to leave! :(

Racist tbh

Guest Howaythetoon

Just read it, Ashley is the stupidest man in football and obviously a spiteful little man child.

We didn’t just lose a top manager, the club lost a top coach, a business partner, a fans liaison officer, a scout, a teacher, a father figure, a man who any organisation would want to employ or certainly want to not let go.

You can’t buy the level of investment Rafa himself puts into his job, his role. It’s a different level of investment to most others, a level of investment above time and effort, it’s a level of involvement of total involvement, accountability, respect, to a duty of care. And we got to see that in full for 3 years and for me, he alone invested in our club, us fans, our city, our players and the club as an institution the most.

Under an owner who didn’t invest even 1% of what Rafa did while here.

What he achieved was remarkable and should never be forgotten, downplayed or undervalued, only appreciated, fully valued and the significance of his time here and what he did forever recognised as something more meaningful than say, for example, a 5th placed finish achieved under Pardew, or a more pleasing brand of football someone else may or may not produce he couldn’t.

Rafa is the same as Kevin Keegan, Sir Bobby, Chris Hughton, a rare breed of men who their job, their role, their duty of care towards their club, it’s fans, it’s traditions, history and community and those in employ be it millionaire players in the first team or academy kids at under 7, all mean something just as or more important to the job  than the length of a contract, the size of a salary, than whatever personal glory they themselves get out of it or what kind of impact things may or may not have on their own profile, image, popularity and so on.

The complete opposite of Alan Pardew who didn’t care about the club or his players or the fans, not way before himself anyway and always below his own needs which comes first to people like him.

Not the likes of Rafa, who let it never be forgotten, actually chose to invest in Newcastle United and to help out, to help build a stronger club, a more United club, a better club, a successful club, things worthy of his investment.

He tried, he made in roads, but when the owner doesn’t think his own club is worthy of any investment all never mind some, then why the fuck should Rafa stay around and waste his investment when there are so many other organisations more worthy, who worthy what he can do for them.

Let this register - Mike Ashley worthy’s Steve Bruce more, would rather invest in him over Rafa.

Anyone who ends up worthying a Rafa-less NUFC under Bruce or some other no Mark manager because the football is better to watch, or because of having achieved more points at the same stage of the season than the one before or because of any other bullshit, well you’re not and never will be worthy of a Newcastle United managed by Rafa, only worthy of the club that Rafa walked into, Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct Newcastle FC.

As for certain journos rewriting history and trying to character assassinate the man, they are snakes, the fact they haven’t, don’t and won’t do the same to Ashley or Bruce even should tell you everything about their own interests.

They don’t care about NUFC. Fucking Rafa did.