Newcastle United 1 - 1 Liverpool - 01/10/17 - Post-match reaction from page 27

Greg

What was the verdict on Gomez's challenge on Atsu?

Looked pretty high on first viewing, thought he could have had a yellow card a few moments earlier too when he pulled back Atsu

Should have had a yellow earlier, aye. Shame that Atsu was so honest, as a free kick would have been more dangerous. He was really poor today.

The actual challenge he got booked for wasn't that bad. Seemed harsh, if anything and the crowd made it seem much worse than it was.

Yedlin MOTM, for me.

Feels great to have a couple of midfielders who are both good passers yet capable defensively. I'd like to see them start together next game as well and hopefully form a bit of a partnership.

Imagine having in front of them a player who can make runs or able to shoot or cross.

What was the verdict on Gomez's challenge on Atsu?

Looked pretty high on first viewing, thought he could have had a yellow card a few moments earlier too when he pulled back Atsu

Not much to it, his foot was high but his studs weren't showing at all. It was a little different from the other two (and the Huddersfield one), yellow was probably about right.

Thought most were fine, the only players who were poor again were Atsu and Perez. I think Aarons should be in contention ahead of Atsu now considering the competition for that place.

Perez is a shoo in purely because there's no one else who'll do the dirty work he does.

Perez worked his stots off and relieved pressure on us a couple of times by cleverly drawing fouls off down the right flank.

I don't rate Atsu at all.

I thought Lascelles had a poor first half and it was his sliced clearance under no pressure that led to Coutinho's goal, but was outstanding in the 2nd.

Not sure why Ritchie's getting such high praise to be honest.

This is me most weeks tbh, i don't like him as much as most seem to quite obviously.

From an attacking sense he's been near useless the past couple of weeks like. I don't think he was bad today, he defended well, but I agree with others Yedlin was our best player. Shelvey put in a better performance too for me.

EDIT: 'Near useless' is harsh like :lol:

For me the most exciting aspect of the game was seeing Shelvey and Merino playing together. There is so much potential in that partnership. Merino is good at quietly breaking up play but can also pick a pass. This means teams can't just sit on Shelvey and stifle our midfield creativity, they have to close Merino down too. This allows Shelvey more time to do what he does best and pick out the killer ball, his assist for the goal was a great example of this.

Is it just me or was elliot playing in slow motion  for coutinho's shot? Thought he could have do e better. He rescued his neck through a few good saves later on.

Nah, he had no chance whatsoever and had a very good game.

Stupid sliced clearance from lascelles when under no real pressure caused the goal.

Is it just me or was elliot playing in slow motion  for coutinho's shot? Thought he could have do e better. He rescued his neck through a few good saves later on.

I'm a bit confused by the continued Elliot criticisms. He has obvious weaknesses, kicked distribution, but he's in good form and making key saves each game that go largely unremarked on by the majority in this board.

I'm a bit confused by the continued Elliot criticisms. He has obvious weaknesses, kicked distribution, but he's in good form and making key saves each game that go largely unremarked on by the majority in this board.

His defence of Pardew.

Is it really that? Or is it because he is a Championship standard player, that isn't particularly good at any one thing? Like a fair few of our players, TBF.

He gets beat by long shots a lot and tends to be slow to get down. I thought he was decent today overall and it is being overly harsh blaming him for the goal. But I do think a prem quality keeper saves it. For all that it was a sweet strike. It isn't right in the corner and it is right near him