Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

2 hours ago, Slim said:

Megged for the 3rd game in a row

Always fucking megged. 

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

I understand people are not happy with Dubravka, but we have 4 keepers on the books. What is the point of having so many of them, if we cannot play them in case like this? 

Tbf it looks like 3 are awful.  And the other will miss most of the season.  

I don’t think it’s likely we can sign a better player than Pope in January. So id make do with a stop gap.  De Gea is rooted to his line but at least he can make saves. 

8 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

I'm sorry but Dubs didn't have a chance with either of the goals. Blame him all you want for the previous two games but you're applying impossible standards to him if you think he should have done better last night. 

Absolute  bollocks there are many keepers who save both 

Just now, BullyDogs said:

Absolute  bollocks there are many keepers who save both 

I'm not going to blame any keeper for not saving a shot from 2 yards out. Could he have saved it - maybe. To suggest he should have done better is harsh in the extreme. I didn't see Pope getting pelters for the Dortmund goals and nor should Dubs for those last night.

The second one was placed perfectly in the corner with Dubravka diving full stretch - what exactly do you expect him to do :lol:

Just now, jonny1403 said:

I'm not going to blame any keeper for not saving a shot from 2 yards out. Could he have saved it - maybe. To suggest he should have done better is harsh in the extreme. I didn't see Pope getting pelters for the Dortmund goals and nor should Dubs for those last night.

The second one was placed perfectly in the corner with Dubravka diving full stretch - what exactly do you expect him to do :lol:

I think you need to watch the 2nd one again it wasn't perfectly in the corner and his dive for it was pathetic 

The 1st one went through his legs like a lot of shots do, look at the goals he let in at spurs and Everton too

The guy is absolutely shit....pope does not concede 9 goals from 11 shots on target I don't think any other premier league keeper does

2 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

I think you need to watch the 2nd one again it wasn't perfectly in the corner and his dive for it was pathetic 

The 1st one went through his legs like a lot of shots do, look at the goals he let in at spurs and Everton too

The guy is absolutely shit....pope does not concede 9 goals from 11 shots on target I don't think any other premier league keeper does

I agree he could have done better v Spurs, I'm not defending that. I'm saying blaming a goalkeeper for a shot hit hard from two yards out is mental. 

The ott hateful language is so tedious and uncalled for, like. Aye - he's not up to scratch and there's no doubting we stand a better chance with Pope between the sticks.

Does everyone have to be 'pathetic' or 'absolutely shit' if they're not good enough, though?

Obviously it's unrealistic to hope that the hate-filled claptrap could broadly be left in the Ashley era for those individuals that actually deserve it, but good grief it's tedious. Childish as fuck.

1 hour ago, BullyDogs said:

not the first time either in the last couple of weeks.

Looked at the goals again. I mean the first one the guy's 6 yards out, all a keeper can do there is spread himself and hope he gets lucky. Are people really criticising him for letting that one in?

2nd one - maybe Nick Pope can get a touch on it. Maybe. And that's only because he's fucking massive. This 'pathetic dive' stuff, completely disagree. You can't do a giant flying Pickford leap from a standing position so quickly, there just isn't time there, it was a good first-time finish. Would have been a worldie if he'd saved it.

I don't think M Dubs is Nick Pope's level, (but then I think Pope is an elite goalkeeper), but I don't blame him for either of the goals yesterday. I also have some sympathy for a guy who has barely played a competitive match in a year and a half being expected to come in and be in top form straight away.

The worst defensive error yesterday by far was Tino completely miscontrolling under no pressure and giving them a free one-on-one yet everyone seems to be giving him a free pass.

Edited by Checko
lack of hope

There’s a fine line between keeper being blamed and blameless as much as there is the need for your keeper to make a big save in a key moment. Theirs did, ours did not. 

Mike had no business getting half a palm and a thumb strong enough to pop Bruno’s onto the bar and out. His view was completely obstructed. 

Edited by Kanji

2 hours ago, Jordan said:

The first one, I don’t blame him one bit. The second I think he could have got to but poor defending was more to blame. 

Hillarious people blaming him for that 2nd, presumably he should have been marking the scorer instead of aimlessly wandering towards his centre half, ah shit no that wasnt him

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

There’s a fine line between keeper being blamed and blameless as much as there is the need for your keeper to make a big save in a key moment. Theirs did, ours did not. 

Mike had no business getting half a palm and a thumb strong enough to pop Bruno’s onto the bar and out. His view was completely obstructed. 

That save from Maignan last night was possibly one of the best saves I've seen in a live environment. 9 times out of 10 that goes in the back of the net. 

Most competent goalkeepers can play in a shit team and look good when you defend deep and just have to keep making saves as we used to be when Dubravka looked decent or in the past when Elliot, Krul etc. were probably our best players at times.

Now that we are a decent team you really see who the elite keepers are. You are more likely to give up big chances and become exposed because you are more open. You see it with Pope who makes so many big saves and players like Allison who save Liverpool so many points with big one on one saves. Unfortunately, Dubravka is just not good enough, not at fault for either goal last night but elite goalkeepers like Pope potentially save them and you go on to win the game. 

Injuries really have fucked us.

2 hours ago, jonny1403 said:

I was in Level 7 in the corner so had a perfect view of the 2nd goal as it was angled right towards me, and whilst I wouldn't blame him for conceding it, a good goalkeeper more than likely saves it. This probably sounds a bit sill but he doesn't seem to be able to dive properly.

1 hour ago, Checko said:

Looked at the goals again. I mean the first one the guy's 6 yards out, all a keeper can do there is spread himself and hope he gets lucky. Are people really criticising him for letting that one in?

2nd one - maybe Nick Pope can get a touch on it. Maybe. And that's only because he's fucking massive. This 'pathetic dive' stuff, completely disagree. You can't do a giant flying Pickford leap from a standing position so quickly, there just isn't time there, it was a good first-time finish. Would have been a worldie if he'd saved it.

I don't think M Dubs is Nick Pope's level, (but then I think Pope is an elite goalkeeper), but I don't blame him for either of the goals yesterday. I also have some sympathy for a guy who has barely played a competitive match in a year and a half being expected to come in and be in top form straight away.

The worst defensive error yesterday by far was Tino completely miscontrolling under no pressure and giving them a free one-on-one yet everyone seems to be giving him a free pass.

Absolutely nailed it. Especially the fact he hasn't played in two years and is unsurprisingly looking rusty.

Our fanbase has a really bad habit of getting attached to certain players (Tino, Bruno, Isak) and absolutely piling on to others (Dubs, Burn, Longstaff) and letting that massively impact on their opinion of performances.

Livramento, Schar and Bruno were all culpable for at least one goal last night and yet Tino's entire thread is full of praise for him while Dubs is getting dogs abuse for not saving a shot from 2 yards away from him.

Edited by jonny1403

He's not the only keeper that does this, but he often plants his leading leg/foot back on the dive. So there's never any extension to the diving length. 

Just watched this saves comp, and nearly every shot is right at him [emoji38]

Might be harsh to compare him to Jens Mustermann, but whatever. Even that little half-step into the dive provides greater cover and velocity into the dive (ignore Oliver Kahn's absolutely bonkers handling technique though and "leading hand")

Edited by OCK

58 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Absolutely nailed it. Especially the fact he hasn't played in two years and is unsurprisingly looking rusty.

Our fanbase has a really bad habit of getting attached to certain players (Tino, Bruno, Isak) and absolutely piling on to others (Dubs, Burn, Longstaff) and letting that massively impact on their opinion of performances.

Livramento, Schar and Bruno were all culpable for at least one goal last night and yet Tino's entire thread is full of praise for him while Dubs is getting dogs abuse for not saving a shot from 2 yards away from him.

For every painful loss there has to be a “whipping boy”

Was chatting about this with my Liverpool supporting mate yesterday. He was talking about the drop-off between Allison and their backup Kelleher. There will be saves that Kelleher just doesn't make that Allison would, but it's almost unfair to say Kelleher made a mistake or fucked up, it's just that Allison is that much better. Think it's the same between Pope and Dubravka really - there will be saves that Pope would make that Dubs won't, but it's not necessarily that he's making errors, he's just being compared against a top-tier keeper and it's almost a little harsh to judge him by Pope's very high standards at shot-stopping.

Think Dubs will have a good game today - rust shaken off, back up to speed.