Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

If we were to be ruthless I can see us letting all the 3 sub GKs go and sign someone to really give Pope a fight for that number 1 spot. 

Don't think Karius or most definitely not fucking Gillespie would have made much of a difference during these run of games with Pope injured unfortunately.

Dubs was very good when he first arrived (with the occasional unreal performance here and there) and I feel the minute Pope came in and took his spot that more or less finished him mentally and physically here. 

Him wanting a loan move rather than fighting for number one spot should tell you what his motivations and attitude really was like at the club by this point and him returning I don't know if he was mentally upto it anymore. 

Edited by Amir_9

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Certainly not blaming him for either goal. But he does dive without using his arms. Which seems a bit daft. 

I am - they were right at him. He is utterly useless. I've yet to see him make a save.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

When you see they score with their first shot on target and it goes through Dubs legs…. You do think.. ‘man i think Pope saves that’. 

100% - I was right behind both goals. A competent keeper saves them - Dubs just feel to the ground

TELEMMGLPICT000251132792_trans_NvBQzQNjv 

52 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Not his fault tonight but you’re 100% correct dude. The goal is a lot bigger with him in it.

Look let me be clear. Nothing is really his fault in a situation like that. But you back a keeper to make a big time save in that scenario, particularly a guy who used to be a legit PL #1. But he’s not getting any fucking lift on mid-high shots at all. His technique seems so far gone than what it used to be. 

Given, Harper, Krul, Pope and Loris. Yes, him. Make that save. 

You ever see a movie called White Man Can’t Jump? Starring Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes. That describes our current #1 who didn’t bother lifting himself off the ground for a shot a guy was clearly going far post and high. 

Without blaming him for any of the multiple goals he's shipping but at least as importantly he's saving dick all. Shots to goals conceded ratio is very unnerving.

Nothing to be lost by going Karius at this point, even for Dubs.

Miss the halcyon days of expert folk on here slagging Pope off already.

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

You ever see a movie called White Man Can’t Jump? Starring Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes. That describes our current #1 who didn’t bother lifting himself off the ground for a shot a guy was clearly going far post and high. 

Yeah I've seen it, Woody Harrelson gets the key dunk at the end of that film IIRC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dubs is amazing, by any means. I just don't remember him being really at fault for the goals today, but I'd need to see them again to be fair.

Edited by Checko

I keep trying to tell myself 'not many back ups could save the kind of shots Pope regularly got to' but I think I'd accept a punt on De Gea now. :lol:

Again a scramble in our box that I can't help but feel Pope would've taken control of at some point, and the resulting goal was a shot straight at him. Granted the odds were in Milan's favour for the second goal with Schar still in their half. :lol: But his 'dive' looks shocking imo. 

Yeah Nick Pope is a brilliant goalkeeper and hard to be compared to his standard. People like to focus on Pope's obvious weakness, which is that it's mildly terrifying whenever he's passed to and there's an opponent in our half of the pitch, but apart from that he's so good at everything else.

Looking at the Pope thread, when he signed there were some saying he's good, and lots of 'is he that much of an upgrade on Dubs?'  'Is it really a priority position to upgrade?'. Then a month or two later it's all 'holy crap he's a massive upgrade.'

That difference has only increased with a year and half of Dubs' inactivity. Still, perhaps he'll end up scoring the winning dunk.

3 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Good to see the scape goat is being used again.

my guy, you know I’m never like this. His technique is fucking shocking. Not even getting into the madness of others who should have done something about letting that specific break happen! 

9 goals in 3 games man. We have 3 absolutely shit keepers behind Pope all 3 need binning off end of the season. I said it after Spurs but if we are playing this guy for 6 months then we are going to concede a lot of goals and are going to lose games frequently. I truly cant see him keeping 6 clean sheets from now until the end of the season

12 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Good to see the scape goat is being used again.

I appreciate he's not the sole reason for the outcome tonight. The whole team lost their way a bit second half, Fab's madman run leaving us without our best defender for the second, Miggy's one-footedness mixed with a cracking clearance and another cracking save, it's fine margins at this level.

But that's what makes it even more gutting that we couldn't have Pope available because he could've been that fine margin that at least gave us Europa League with one of his vintages saves with the feet, or simply being able to dive.

I wanted to give him a chance, I've still got all the time and respect in the world for his time at the club (the Man U loan situation is majorly overblown by some imo), but I don't see how we can rely on him for an extended period. 

1 hour ago, Amir_9 said:

If we were to be ruthless I can see us letting all the 3 sub GKs go and sign someone to really give Pope a fight for that number 1 spot. 

Don't think Karius or most definitely not fucking Gillespie would have made much of a difference during these run of games with Pope injured unfortunately.

Dubs was very good when he first arrived (with the occasional unreal performance here and there) and I feel the minute Pope came in and took his spot that more or less finished him mentally and physically here. 

Him wanting a loan move rather than fighting for number one spot should tell you what his motivations and attitude really was like at the club by this point and him returning I don't know if he was mentally upto it anymore. 

That's what I'd do tbh.

Ship out Dubravka, Karius and Gillespie in the same window and buy a genuine elite number one, Pope stays for cups and as the bench option and sign a young up and coming starlet to learn off them two and act as cover.

You need a goalie to make saves when it matters or what’s the point of persisting? It’s not like he’s fucking Jak Alnwick.

its the same with relying on strikers to score when a flash point requires. 

Edited by Kanji