Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/02/18 - Post-match reaction from pg34

Dave

Says it all that Benteke didn’t even appeal for a penalty and looked totally bemused when the whistle blew.

6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.

He wondered why the ref had even given a foul against him. :lol:

Shearer spot on again.

It is a penalty though, just the law isn’t enforced consistently.

Then technically every corner, every free kick into the box and most crosses are penalties.

Well yeah, but if the laws were enforced correctly and consistently, players would eventually stop shirt pulling. It happens all the time because they know it is rarely penalised.

Shearer spot on again.

It is a penalty though, just the law isn’t enforced consistently.

Then technically every corner, every free kick into the box and most crosses are penalties.

Well yeah, but if the laws were enforced correctly and consistently, players would eventually stop shirt pulling. It happens all the time because they know it is rarely penalised.

If the laws were applied correctly the assistant ref has to be sure that the shirt pull was before the Benteke push off, which it wasn't

Thought during the game that Shelvey has been found out at this level. They just had someone on him at all times which restricted his passing. If he can't pass he's not really doing much more, so ended up being a complete passenger.

Good as his passing is, he clearly needs to play for a much better team so he gets that space, but that'll never happen as he doesn't do anything else.

You can't underestimate Roy's influence at half time. As dull as he is, the guy knows football.

He almost certainly told his players to mark Shelvey out of the game, hit earlier balls to Benteke and press us quicker. All of those things made us shit ourselves.

Rafa is a master tactician but he not a master turd polisher. Palace have the players to punish us and when they started really turning it on we had nothing to counter it. Fair play to Woy for sorting his team out at half time.

Guest firetotheworks

Rafa's changes seemed a bit weird but tactically they made sense. You'd think Murphy would have been the better choice than Merino for example, but because of the way Palace were closing us down and we were being forced to hit it long, having more aerial presence was probably the much better option.

Rafa's changes seemed a bit weird but tactically they made sense. You'd think Murphy would have been the better choice than Merino for example, but because of the way Palace were closing us down and we were being forced to hit it long, having more aerial presence was probably the much better option.

Doesn't really explain why Murphy appears to be 4th choice of our wingers, which IMO is way off based on recent performances.

Guest firetotheworks

Doesn't really explain why Murphy appears to be 4th choice of our wingers, which IMO is way off based on recent performances.

Yeah it's an odd one. I can understand him not starting to an extent, and him not getting in ahead of Ritchie if he wants someone to protect Yedlin. I really don't understand him not coming on ahead of Atsu, though. He doesn't offer anything better defensively, or going forward, and he's in poor form.

Guest alijmitchell

Christ, I didn't realise at the time, but having gone the right way, Darlow should have saved that.

I was trying to say this yesterday!

Yeah it's an odd one. I can understand him not starting to an extent, and him not getting in ahead of Ritchie if he wants someone to protect Yedlin. I really don't understand him not coming on ahead of Atsu, though. He doesn't offer anything better defensively, or going forward, and he's in poor form.

I am a fan of Rafa so don't bite my head off here but, it is always the case with his substitutions that he doesn't ever try to change a game by changing players...  it is always one for one and the same tactics.  Striker off, a different striker on,,,, left winger off, a different left winger on.

This is far from a criticism, Rafa is one of the best tacticians in the game but, we do not have the depth of talent in our squad to be able to simply refresh positions with a new equally adept player. 

Many times I have thought a game I was watching was crying out for a system change but, we seem to persevere with the starting system right to the end.

In the end we are all top managers and would all do things in our own ways eh?

Guest firetotheworks

I am a fan of Rafa so don't bite my head off here but, it is always the case with his substitutions that he doesn't ever try to change a game by changing players...  it is always one for one and the same tactics.  Striker off, a different striker on,,,, left winger off, a different left winger on.

This is far from a criticism, Rafa is one of the best tacticians in the game but, we do not have the depth of talent in our squad to be able to simply refresh positions with a new equally adept player. 

Many times I have thought a game I was watching was crying out for a system change but, we seem to persevere with the starting system right to the end.

In the end we are all top managers and would all do things in our own ways eh?

What about yesterday when he brought in Merino for aerial presence and Hayden for numbers in midfield, in order to change the game? Albeit it was to protect us rather than get us forward.

Wow...

It is almost like no-one read my point.

Merino came on for Perez right?  Played right in behind Gayle

Hayden came on for Diame.... 

Again, I am a fan of Rafa and I would support him no matter what.  I want to know if anyone can really remember a significant strategic change brought about by a substitution. 

Guest firetotheworks

Wow...

It is almost like no-one read my point.

Merino came on for Perez right?  Played right in behind Gayle

Hayden came on for Diame.... 

Again, I am a fan of Rafa and I would support him no matter what.  I want to know if anyone can really remember a significant strategic change brought about by a substitution. 

I wasn't having a go, I was honestly just asking.

Merino came on for Perez and Hayden for Diame, aye. Hayden for Diame obviously isn't that much of a change, but having Merino further forward as a more aerial presence seemed to be the idea.

Shelvey had a great first 45 mins, then he completely disappeared in the second half. Composure or not, he shouldn't go missing if he's our main midfielder.

Was just about to say this. I think he put in a first half of an actual pl midfielder and had ran himself out. Opposite to McArthur or whoever who had the stamina to last 90 minutes and took the absolute piss second half.

We need Shelvey out if we stay up like, hopefully West Ham come in for him or some other daft cunt.

I want to know if anyone can really remember a significant strategic change brought about by a substitution.

Almost like we didn’t come from 3-2 down to beat Norwich 4-3 mainly due to the substitutes that Rafa put on and tactical changes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37426290

I remember the game mate.  Seems like a lifetime ago.  What were the changes that, in your opinion turned that game around?

I remember us scoring really soon after they went 3 - 1 up on us and then us being pegged back until Gayles equalizer then it was mayhem, I sit in the East Stand and I know what a shit atmosphere is like, believe me but, everyone was on their feet and the place was rocking that night! 

Shelvey had a great first 45 mins, then he completely disappeared in the second half. Composure or not, he shouldn't go missing if he's our main midfielder.

Was just about to say this. I think he put in a first half of an actual pl midfielder and had ran himself out. Opposite to McArthur or whoever who had the stamina to last 90 minutes and took the absolute piss second half.

We need Shelvey out if we stay up like, hopefully West Ham come in for him or some other daft cunt.

I probably just noticed it in the second half so I'm being unfair. Can't really be bothered to watch it back now though.