Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/02/18 - Post-match reaction from pg34

Dave

Who was that linesman? What was his agenda against us there... clearly something fishy with his overreaction to a 50/50 bit of shirt pulling.

Was he the turbononce that pardew shoved? Been biding his time, probably.

Peter Kirkup?

https://www.premierleague.com/news/605035 I guess not, he was at the Burnley / Man City match

Simon Beck or Richard West then, looks like Beck to me... the cunt.

Defence played well on the whole. We had no out ball for the final 50 minutes or so of the game, so it just kept coming back and they were constantly under the kosh.

The pen was very soft and also should have been saved, but never mind. Credit our defence with saving the point. Without the momentum swing from the pen, we might well have held out for the win, given CP's play in the actual danger area.

Some strange decisions regarding the team, Ritchie over Murphy, Kenedy off, and Hayden over Merino, especially since we didn't have an out ball. It looks like our hopes are all riding on Slimani. Having the ball stick up front will be massive.

Absolutely desperate for a presence up front

Most important message from today. Whatever tactical wizardry was occurring beyond my understanding, we did well to cut off supply to their forwards. They were basically at full strength today, which I hadn’t expected. If we’d had more to worry them through the middle, we’d have beaten them comfortably, IMO.

We held on quite comfortably.  :spit:

Yep, never felt a goal was imminent tbh. They came at us but we always had the bodies back to defend. Never really stretched to much.

To be fair Zaha basically had everyone on toast, he was by far their best outlet. Can't tackle him or read which way he's going to go, all our players get back to cover. He changes the game on his own, superb player.

Yes and despite his dominance and that he had Yedlin beaten every single time, they didn't worry us that much really. They were pretty toothless upfront when chances fell their way.

Clark cleared two off the line in the space of 10 seconds, Id call that stretched really. Zaha could've done better with a couple chances himself. I think we actually defended decently in numbers beyond that though yeah.

Yep, never felt a goal was imminent tbh. They came at us but we always had the bodies back to defend. Never really stretched to much.

You can't be serious here, like. We had 2 or 3 goal saving blocks, tackles, and saves from in and around the 6 yard box.

Thought they were pretty toothless upfront personally, they had the beating of us in the wide areas but I never felt that concerned they were nailed on to score - they didn't know when to pull the trigger a lot of time. Sat watching in relative ease tbh.

We had a really good spell in the first half, where we attacked with vigour and our passing was sharp and we created chances, but too many players prone to mistakes and lacking in fitness mean we can never keep that up.

And the problem is that whenever the other side gain a bit of momentum, it becomes a ceaseless tide, whereby they dominate the possession and can spring attack after attack. We have nobody up front who can offer an out, the midfielders don't have the sense or the capacity to sit on the ball and play simple passes and they struggle to break the game up, and our defending is a bit of a shambles, Yedlin getting turned inside out, Clark all over the place positionally, and Dummett tucked in to form effectively a third centre back. Despite some positives I thought we were a bit fortunate, even though I think the penalty call is very difficult to justify.

That second half was one of the worst I've seen from a top flight team. It's hard to argue with the fact we have the worst team in the division, and would fully deserve to be relegated.

We were rubbish and the ball seemed to bounce back to Palace for the majority of the second half, but I think that's very harsh, like. We regained our composure for the last ten minutes and might have even nicked it with a better corner or that Atsu effort at the end. At least the players give everything.

And, like I said at FT, for 30 minutes of that half that was our Championship team exactly.

To be fair Zaha basically had everyone on toast, he was by far their best outlet. Can't tackle him or read which way he's going to go, all our players get back to cover. He changes the game on his own, superb player.

Yes and despite his dominance and that he had Yedlin beaten every single time, they didn't worry us that much really. They were pretty toothless upfront when chances fell their way.

Clark cleared two off the line in the space of 10 seconds, Id call that stretched really. Zaha could've done better with a couple chances himself. I think we actually defended decently in numbers beyond that though yeah.

Aye well you need your defenders to help you out on the line occasionally and they did the job. Even in those instances they were just snapshots iirc and nothing that clear cut. We done well to weather the storm and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Lots of positives to take from that game.

Guest firetotheworks

You can't be serious here, like. We had 2 or 3 goal saving blocks, tackles, and saves from in and around the 6 yard box.

Thought they were pretty toothless upfront personally, they had the beating of us in the wide areas but I never felt that concerned they were nailed on to score - they didn't know when to pull the trigger a lot of time. Sat watching in relative ease tbh.

PM me your dealer please.

The difference was they had Benteke to bounce long balls off, he won everything today, we had midget Gayle who could have had a picnic on the half way line and no one would have noticed! We're just not good enough but in Kenedy and Slimani we have a little hope going forward.

We had a really good spell in the first half, where we attacked with vigour and our passing was sharp and we created chances, but too many players prone to mistakes and lacking in fitness mean we can never keep that up.

And the problem is that whenever the other side gain a bit of momentum, it becomes a ceaseless tide, whereby they dominate the possession and can spring attack after attack. We have nobody up front who can offer an out, the midfielders don't have the sense or the capacity to sit on the ball and play simple passes and they struggle to break the game up, and our defending is a bit of a shambles, Yedlin getting turned inside out, Clark all over the place positionally, and Dummett tucked in to form effectively a third centre back. Despite some positives I thought we were a bit fortunate, even though I think the penalty call is very difficult to justify.

You raise a good point there. There's barely a game goes by when I don't think to myself, "Why didn't they pass there, or there."

There seems to be a rule against making a pass which might be intercepted, but you watch all the other teams and its exactly how they make the football flow. The receiving of the pass and the laying off, (through awareness of where their team-mates are), is what slices opponents apart. We hardly ever do it so our counters are more hit and hope than surgically precise.

Which may come from a lack of trust in the players from the manager?

There speaks a man on Ketamine. I was going ballistic with frustration.

PM me your dealer please.

:lol: Highly inappropriate that KI.

In all seriousness though, I feel I have a point in what I say. I call them toothless as they would have put that game to bed not long after the pen if they had the quality up top. Zaha was fashioning chances for them well but it became clear to me 20 minutes or so before the end that they didn't have the man to finish them off. Benteke, Cabaye & McArthur all missing very good chances. The result was me being fairly at ease that we were good for a point.