Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/02/18 - Post-match reaction from pg34

Dave

Shelvey had a great first 45 mins, then he completely disappeared in the second half. Composure or not, he shouldn't go missing if he's our main midfielder.

Was just about to say this. I think he put in a first half of an actual pl midfielder and had ran himself out. Opposite to McArthur or whoever who had the stamina to last 90 minutes and took the absolute piss second half.

We need Shelvey out if we stay up like, hopefully West Ham come in for him or some other daft cunt.

I probably just noticed it in the second half so I'm being unfair. Can't really be bothered to watch it back now though.

It's not like he ran the game or anything but he was involved and got around the pitch first half, put in some decent tackles and tracked quite well (for him) etc.

I'm sure there was a tactical element as well mind, as you've said, but he hardly ever lasts 90 minutes like.

Wow...

It is almost like no-one read my point.

Merino came on for Perez right?  Played right in behind Gayle

Hayden came on for Diame.... 

Again, I am a fan of Rafa and I would support him no matter what.  I want to know if anyone can really remember a significant strategic change brought about by a substitution. 

I wasn't having a go, I was honestly just asking.

Merino came on for Perez and Hayden for Diame, aye. Hayden for Diame obviously isn't that much of a change, but having Merino further forward as a more aerial presence seemed to be the idea.

No bother...

I think my original point has been lost a little,  yes every player is slightly different so Merino brought something to the position he was asked to play that Perez doesn't have (strength and skill - but, that is another story) and Hayden is a different player to Diame.  3 weeks ago I would have bitten your hand off for Hayden to play ahead of Diame but, we have all seen what he can be capable of when he is giving everything.

My point was that we don't seem to see strategic formation changes with Rafa, again that is fine with me.  I do see other managers making these formation changes as the games progress and I wondered if anyone else had thought the same as me about Benitez and his strictness to sticking to the formation and tactics he starts a game with....

I want to know if anyone can really remember a significant strategic change brought about by a substitution.

Almost like we didn’t come from 3-2 down to beat Norwich 4-3 mainly due to the substitutes that Rafa put on and tactical changes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37426290

I remember the game mate.  Seems like a lifetime ago.  What were the changes that, in your opinion turned that game around?

I remember us scoring really soon after they went 3 - 1 up on us and then us being pegged back until Gayles equalizer then it was mayhem, I sit in the East Stand and I know what a shit atmosphere is like, believe me but, everyone was on their feet and the place was rocking that night!

The introduction of Mitro for Diame was a big change, not least because it was the first time we went 4-4-2 and because the long balls we were going to pump up towards the final few minutes needed an outlet. Mitro had a hand in both the equaliser and the winner too IIRC.

Atsu coming on for Dummett just before the two goals helped too, a much more attacking and pacey player had them rocking even more than they were.

I want to know if anyone can really remember a significant strategic change brought about by a substitution.

Almost like we didn’t come from 3-2 down to beat Norwich 4-3 mainly due to the substitutes that Rafa put on and tactical changes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37426290

I remember the game mate.  Seems like a lifetime ago.  What were the changes that, in your opinion turned that game around?

I remember us scoring really soon after they went 3 - 1 up on us and then us being pegged back until Gayles equalizer then it was mayhem, I sit in the East Stand and I know what a s*** atmosphere is like, believe me but, everyone was on their feet and the place was rocking that night!

The introduction of Mitro for Diame was a big change, not least because it was the first time we went 4-4-2 and because the long balls we were going to pump up towards the final few minutes needed an outlet. Mitro had a hand in both the equaliser and the winner too IIRC.

Atsu coming on for Dummett just before the two goals helped too, a much more attacking and pacey player had them rocking even more than they were.

Although we won the game, I was there that night and everyone was pulling their hair out at how late the subs were again though. Just to play devils advocate.

Yeah I remember from that game we left Colback on too long as he got his classic yellow card in the first half so couldn't make another tackle and their 2nd and 3rd goals came from him refusing to tackle iirc. In an ideal world Colback wouldn't have played at all obviously.

Shelvey had a great first 45 mins, then he completely disappeared in the second half. Composure or not, he shouldn't go missing if he's our main midfielder.

Was just about to say this. I think he put in a first half of an actual pl midfielder and had ran himself out. Opposite to McArthur or whoever who had the stamina to last 90 minutes and took the absolute piss second half.

We need Shelvey out if we stay up like, hopefully West Ham come in for him or some other daft cunt.

I probably just noticed it in the second half so I'm being unfair. Can't really be bothered to watch it back now though.

It's not like he ran the game or anything but he was involved and got around the pitch first half, put in some decent tackles and tracked quite well (for him) etc.

I'm sure there was a tactical element as well mind, as you've said, but he hardly ever lasts 90 minutes like.

It's frustrating because he's one of the few players in our side who doesn't seem to lose the ball under a bit of pressure. He's got the quality, but if he's can't impose himself it's worthless.