Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria - CRO & ARG advance

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Messi

Pavon                            Di Maria

Dybala

Lo Celso            Mascherano

No idea if that'd work mind :lol:

Gutted for Messi but not surprised. Tim Vickery's been adamant for ages that Argentina are absolutely shit and by God he's right. Midfield's a total joke and the less said about the defence, the better.

Bar the last one, which Ecuador through, they were absolutely garb for 75% of it.

Still wouldn’t surprise if they sneak out mind. No reason why Iceland V Nigeria isn’t a draw tomorrow.

Guest neesy111

Not gutted at all for Messi. He might not play in a good team or with the right players, but the least he could do is to try a little bit harder, even if things don't come off. He kind of hides for the national team. Doesn't have the confidence in the national team combined with the pressure?

What a load of shite.  If he tried more, he would had been playing in defence.  What's he supposed to do run around like a headless chicken.

Not gutted at all for Messi. He might not play in a good team or with the right players, but the least he could do is to try a little bit harder, even if things don't come off. He kind of hides for the national team. Doesn't have the confidence in the national team combined with the pressure?

What a load of shite.  If he tried more, he would had been playing in defence.  What's he supposed to do run around like a headless chicken.

No but maybe fucking run at the opposition with the ball more often than he does when he plays with Argentina, as well as show himself for the ball more often.

I think Argentina lost almost every qualifier Messi didn't appear in. It's just a really poor all round side. Players like Aguero carry more blame than Messi, he's one of the best and most prolific strikers in the world and yet he doesn't look any better than the ringers from Boca.

He was definitely sulking and moaping around a lot. He just knew the team around him isn’t good enough.

No but maybe fucking run at the opposition with the ball more often than he does when he plays with Argentina, as well as show himself for the ball more often.

He did that against Iceland, got criticised, tried to stay further up today and it was even worse

Lol at Argentina, Croatia are a good team but they’re also cynical; dirty, diving, cheats going back to before they were Croatia. Still pleased they beat the Argies though especially with 2 watch Maradona there.

I didn't mean that he's supposed to run all the way down to the damn goalie to pick the ball up. Fucking love Messi but don't tell me he did his all today. Often hides for Argentina. Obviously not getting the ball quite as often as he would like doesn't help.

Guest neesy111

I didn't mean that he's supposed to run all the way down to the damn goalie to pick the ball up.

Did you see how often Argentina got it to him?  Or do you expect him just to receive the ball magically?

I didn't mean that he's supposed to run all the way down to the damn goalie to pick the ball up.

Did you see how often Argentina got it to him?  Or do you expect him just to receive the ball magically?

Didn’t work hard today at all

He never does. He never runs when the opposition has the ball

So he's not allowed to show more movement then to give his team mates the chance to pass him the ball more often? Yes he doesn't get it very often for various reasons mentioned already, but neither is he doing all he can to give his team mates the option more often, even if he doesn't get it. Those times he shows himself for the ball helps his team, no matter if he gets it or not.

He never does. He never runs when the opposition has the ball

Luckily at Barcelona he has players who win the ball back for him.

Something's gotto be said about the hesitant marriage between Messi & Argentina. Many thinkpieces have been written about this fine balance, and today it was evident right before kickoff. As the camera moved from player to player during the national anthem, Messi's was the only face covered by his hand, furiously rubbing his head, I don't even think he knew the anthem was playing or that there was a camera there. The pressure and expectation on him from a nation I don't think he feels particularly close to surely has brought both of them to this new low.

He moved to Spain when he was, what, 11? Spent his whole life there. Maybe he should've got himself a Spanish passport (as if the AFA would've allowed that, lol), and he'd have been far more at home in that Spanish side, with his mates.

This is the issue. The way Argentina play is expecting poor players to pick out Messi in good positions. Instead I think they should completely bypass midfield and hoof it to Higuain where Messi might pick up a break in a decent position

Do people simultaneously want Messi to run all over the pitch winning the ball back, skin 10 players and score? Lol.

Doubt it, haven't seen anyone say so at least.

Guest neesy111

Some context for those who don't know how bad Argentina were without Messi during qualifiers.

As noted by South American football expert Tim Vickery, Messi missed eight rounds of qualification and Argentina collected just seven points in those games. In the 10 qualifiers he played, Argentina won 21 points. Messi's hat-trick in the final qualification match against Ecuador ensured his team reached Russia, and his seven goals made him the team's top scorer by a distance - no other Argentina player managed more than two goals in the campaign.