THIRDPLACE-O-METER

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The one that lost to Iceland is IMO, to be fair I can't think back further than that right now :lol:

But I definitely think this is better than the team at the Euros.

Yeah that was a bad team, but I don't think it was worse, personally. I suppose Rooney was done, Sturridge had given up. We started Dier. Maybe Kane wasn't as good. I'd say it was probably as bad, then. I suppose my point is how am I so excited about such a team? I don't care why. I'm just glad I'm enjoying an England team.

The one that lost to Iceland is IMO, to be fair I can't think back further than that right now :lol:

The 2016 team is essentially this team, only older and with up and coming talent replacing the old fucks, so I agree with you there. Probably better than WC 2014, but the old fucks there turns shit around that time, so I can't really remember how shit they were at exactly that time. Euro 2012, yeah. WC 2010, yeah. From 2006 and backwards it's starting to look a lot better player by player, but those squads didn't work as teams.

Yeah that was a bad team, but I don't think it was worse, personally. I suppose Rooney was done, Sturridge had given up. We started Dier. Maybe Kane wasn't as good. I'd say it was probably as bad, then. I suppose my point is how am I so excited about such a team? I don't care why. I'm just glad I'm enjoying an England team.

I can't speak for everyone but I'm just happy to see a functional England team tbh :lol:

Really weird but I think it's because for most of my life time there never really has been, I'm struggling to think of one tbh seeing as even the "Golden Era"  teams struggled to put Gerrard and Lampard together.

I might have to go back 96 or 98 really which is sad thing itself.

If any of those 2006 and before teams got this draw they'd definitely get to a final. Most of those teams got knocked out by very good teams in close games or on penalties

Well I agree but I never really thought we got the best from those players tbh,  always felt like we were missing something.

Where as now the only player who looks out of place is Alli, I think that's why I find it refreshing tbh as we are getting the best from the players we have.

Never felt like that with those teams.

Probably and argue :yao:

Would start Joselu over the revered number 10 Ashley Young tbh.

:lol: aye I'm sorting of giving Young the benefit of the doubt that 6 year a go there might have been a reason he was playing there but I cannot really remember like. Looks pretty hairy.

You tend to think of players at the end of their careers rather than their peak.

Those players at those ages in 2012.. a lot would walk into this team.

Hart

Terry

Cole

Gerrard

Parker

Milner

AOC

Would all be in this team.

Even someone like Lescott we think of as kind of a good CB now but at the time many thought he was really good.

Likewise 2012

Debuchy

Evra

Ribery

Benzema

Lloris

Would start. In 2012, Nasri was a fantastic player.

Guest firetotheworks

Dubravka, Lascelles, Yedlin, Kennedy, Diame would get into that team. You could probably argue Perez over Young in AM too.

[emoji38] Spot on tbh

I'm thinking of them back in 2012 like.

2012 Terry, Cole, Milner, Gerrard & Welbeck would have walked into our side last season. Hart has always been massively overrated, that was always obvious but just how bad he was wasn't apparent until he left for Italy and then again at West Ham. Last season's Diame was better than Parker has ever been by some distance - including the season he inexplicably won player of the year. Oxlade-Chamberlaine had promise but was only 18 back then and never really found hi potential until last season with Liverpool. Lescott was decent for a fair stretch at Everton but I'd say Lascelles had a better season last year than he ever has. Johnson and Yedlin is touch and go, neither are/were great fullbacks.

Guest firetotheworks

Is that one of the years Parker was at West Ham? Wasn't that Player's Player of the Year as well? There must have been something other players saw on the pitch in him to give him the votes to win. Unless there were two much better players who split the vote. Either way I've made this all up in my head.

Guest Howaythetoon

We’ve had by far better individuals, but this team has a clear philosophy that isn’t designed or rather formatted around a few so-called golden generation players that saw said players shoehorned together and sent out to play in such dated and rigid ways.

This team has many individuals of decent technical ability and character as well as a youthful nievety that frees them from certain constraints that would often loom large over an England side and its players even in a group stage.

We haven’t really played anyone top notch and we haven’t played brilliantly as a team or as individuals, but the signs are clear that this is a developing team, emerging from the shadows of the past with players who can perform at this level under a manager who seems to have created a good core group of players from a pool that doesn’t contain world-stars or egos.

Even if we win tomorrow and somehow made it to the Final I don’t think they are quite good enough to overcome a France or Belgium who we shouldn’t fear and they themselves haven’t exactly shone.

But in such a pressure cooker game, I can see a WC Final being too early too soon,  but this is footballa and anything can happen. Win tomorrow and the players and manager have to believe in themselves and have to seriously put themselves forward as contenders and able to achieve the ultimate.

What gives me hope is that there is more to come and certain players have yet to make their mark, even Kane the top goal scorer hasn’t put in a typical kane performance that he would for Spurs, he needs service for that.

Give him that and he can destroy any defence and be the difference as our only world-class player.

Every team left in it has to fancy their chances, even Russia because for all their talent France and Belgium are beatable. There is no outstanding team that has a definite edge.

All I ask of England is to perform, as that’s our best shot at this. We don’t have to play great football or create chance after chance, just for every player to perform to a level above their average and do what teams of the past haven’t done which is go out there and go for it.

We have done that all tournament in fist and starts and it’s been not so much a joy to watch, but a real turn up for the books. Surprising, unexpected and quite uplifting.

Either way a bright future beckons. Come on England, this particular person hasn’t felt like this since 1998 when it come to England and it seems a lot of the Nation hasn’t felt like this in a long time too.

If we go out you just know the media will have the knives out mind :lol: