The Magpie Group

Heron

The whole “he’s not going to stop me supporting my team” rationale is a big issue mind, got to be said. For some it’ll be seen as defiance, I’ll keep on going regardless, I’ll be here long after he’s gone etc. It’s admirable in some respects but Ashley knows all about the misplaced loyalty and devotion of a huge swathe of the fan base and it was probably one of the reasons he bought us rather than another club I suspect.

Like it or lump it, there’s 40000+ fans who will turn up no matter what. No matter how shit it gets, no matter what he does they’ll be there and they’ll be critical of any attempts that they perceive to be a negative influence of the team. Sustained, mass boycotts and walkouts are simply not on the agenda in my opinion, they’re a complete nonstarter unfortunately :hmm:

God i love that argument ... " He's not gonna stop me pouring money into his fat pockets so i can watch utter garbage at a dying club "

Those fuckers should take a bow for the most moronic justification of sticking around when the very thing we need is that they leave like the rest of us .

No-one is going to listen to a keyboard warrier who doesn't go to games telling them to stop going. Supporting is about thick and thin and we have had a lot worse owners than this and a lot worse times than this.

This does not condone the way he runs the club by the way.

The whole “he’s not going to stop me supporting my team” rationale is a big issue mind, got to be said. For some it’ll be seen as defiance, I’ll keep on going regardless, I’ll be here long after he’s gone etc. It’s admirable in some respects but Ashley knows all about the misplaced loyalty and devotion of a huge swathe of the fan base and it was probably one of the reasons he bought us rather than another club I suspect.

Like it or lump it, there’s 40000+ fans who will turn up no matter what. No matter how shit it gets, no matter what he does they’ll be there and they’ll be critical of any attempts that they perceive to be a negative influence of the team. Sustained, mass boycotts and walkouts are simply not on the agenda in my opinion, they’re a complete nonstarter unfortunately :hmm:

God i love that argument ... " He's not gonna stop me pouring money into his fat pockets so i can watch utter garbage at a dying club "

Those fuckers should take a bow for the most moronic justification of sticking around when the very thing we need is that they leave like the rest of us .

No-one is going to listen to a keyboard warrier who doesn't go to games telling them to stop going. Supporting is about thick and thin and we have had a lot worse owners than this and a lot worse times than this.

I disagree completely with that part of your statement. Supporting is about part ownership of an institution that you live and breathe. If you had a landlord fucking you over every week would you sit by and take it, saying 'i've had worse'. Would you fuck, you'd do something about it or move.

Blindly sitting there saying 'we've had worse' while the owner shafts you sideways year after year is pathetic. This is your club and you should want the best for it, not just be prepared to sit by and watch it run into the ground because 'supporting is about thick and thin'.

Don't worry about it pal, while you're sitting there pouring money into Ashley's pockets, we'll do something about it for you. OK?

I'm not criticising anyone who goes to the games but the argument you've posted is infuriating. It sounds like you've got fucking Stockholm Syndrome.

We've had worse owners - not in my lifetime we haven't

It's been worse - not in my lifetime it hasn't

Like it or lump it, there’s 40000+ fans who will turn up no matter what. No matter how s*** it gets, no matter what he does they’ll be there and they’ll be critical of any attempts that they perceive to be a negative influence of the team. Sustained, mass boycotts and walkouts are simply not on the agenda in my opinion, they’re a complete nonstarter unfortunately :hmm:

Those f***ers should take a bow for the most moronic justification of sticking around when the very thing we need is that they leave like the rest of us .

I disagree completely with that part of your statement. Supporting is about part ownership of an institution that you live and breathe. If you had a landlord f***ing you over every week would you sit by and take it, saying 'i've had worse'. Would you f***, you'd do something about it or move.

Blindly sitting there saying 'we've had worse' while the owner shafts you sideways year after year is pathetic. This is your club and you should want the best for it, not just be prepared to sit by and watch it run into the ground because 'supporting is about thick and thin'.

Don't worry about it pal, while you're sitting there pouring money into Ashley's pockets, we'll do something about it for you. OK?

I'm not criticising anyone who goes to the games but the argument you've posted is infuriating. It sounds like you've got f***ing Stockholm Syndrome.

O0

I disagree completely with that part of your statement. Supporting is about part ownership of an institution that you live and breathe. If you had a landlord fucking you over every week would you sit by and take it, saying 'i've had worse'. Would you fuck, you'd do something about it or move.

I'm not criticising anyone who goes to the games but the argument you've posted is infuriating. It sounds like you've got fucking Stockholm Syndrome.

aye you are spoiled by having such a good owner

Shepherd- downright crook who was three weeks from administration

Hall- downright liar 'prices for all pockets' and 'save our seats' examples (football was exemplary)

Forbes- 90s equivalent of Charnley

Mckeag/Seymour etc basically incompetent

we have been fighting the owner/board etc since the 60s. depressing thought alert!

Hall- downright liar 'prices for all pockets' and 'save our seats' examples (football was exemplary)

we have been fighting the owner/board etc since the 60s. depressing thought alert!

Ashley? Nah.

i wasn't being entirely serious!

quite a bit of our fanbase hasn't seen anything other than an Ashley run NUFC so haven't got anything to compare it with.

He is shit and we are stuck with him forever but not the worst.

You had a knock to the head or something?

Ashley? Nah.

Really?

AHKM ring any bells?

Ashley? Nah.

Really?

AHKM ring any bells?

aye and still have a huge keepnet with all of those followers in it.

Ashley? Nah.

quite a bit of our fanbase hasn't seen anything other than an Ashley run NUFC so haven't got anything to compare it with.

He's objectively much worse than Hall or Shepherd. Don't even see how that's remotely debateable

so you would rather have someone run the club into administration in order to 'compete' also bearing in mind they were trousering £45m for the priviledge of doing it?

Ashley? Nah.

Really?

AHKM ring any bells?

Utter shite and you know it.

Ashley? Nah.

Really?

AHKM ring any bells?

Utter shite and you know it.

it was and still he kept believing it till the end.  i wonder whatever happened to LM?

Don't come on here being all moderate and reasonable and expect to get away with it lightly :)

It is now almost universally agreed that the best thing will be a change of ownership, but it does seem that we have been protesting against various owners/chairmen for decades now. Ashley is the worst because he's the present incumbent, the next one will probably be deemed to be worse again. Perhaps that's why no sane person with money seems to want anything to do with us, despite there being so many positive things about the club.

Over that time we've never been far away from a chorus of "sack the board" or various crackpot, inevitably futile, schemes to force change at the top. Although I don't think anyone's suggested using fan's pension funds to buy the club this time yet.

We need a Magpie Group which has the nous, the steel and the resources of the original version in the absence of a seriously rich individual buyer or consortium. 

Get a grip

There are different types of bad owners I guess, Shepherd was bad in that he was like an enthusiastic kid who didn't know when to stop spending money. That allowed the club to get into a situation where Ashley could swoop in and buy it. But at least he wanted to achieve something on the pitch.

Guest firetotheworks

I think you need to rethink that one because yes it does.

At the very least it does to him.

Guest firetotheworks

Ashley? Nah.

He's objectively much worse than Hall or Shepherd. Don't even see how that's remotely debateable

so you would rather have someone run the club into administration in order to 'compete' also bearing in mind they were trousering £45m for the priviledge of doing it?

Ehhhh, hold on a second.

Would we rather have a chairman who overspent and whose debts of £76m (in your opinion) had us heading for administration while trousering £45m, with us regularly finishing in the top 5?

Or would we rather have an owner who underspends, has more than doubled the debts (£144m) that (again in your opinion) had us heading for administration, while trousering free advertising for 11 years, the Strawberry Place sale, paid £8.4m to Sports Direct from NUFC, and profiteered from player sales without any of the above being paid off the debt, with us regularly battling relegation?

Hmm, tough one. How is that even a question? [emoji38]

Guest firetotheworks

The attitude of it "could be worse"  is total nonsense to me. It could also be better. Do people live their lives by that edict? "ah well could be worse so I won't bother trying to improve my current situation". There's inherent risk in almost everything.

We'd still have Pardew with that sort of thinking. There's a time and a place for "things could be worse" without a doubt, but it'll never be under Ashley's NUFC.

Ehhhh, hold on a second.

Would we rather have a chairman who overspent and whose debts of £76m (in your opinion) had us heading for administration while trousering £45m, with us regularly finishing in the top 5?

Or would we rather have an owner who underspends, has more than doubled the debts (£144m) that (again in your opinion) had us heading for administration, while trousering free advertising for 11 years, the Strawberry Place sale, paid £8.4m to Sports Direct from NUFC, and profiteered from player sales without any of the above being paid off the debt, with us regularly battling relegation?

Hmm, tough one. How is that even a question? [emoji38]

I think £45m of that debt was due to the sale of NUFC occurring and it was for a 15 year mortgage from 2000 secured against season ticket sales for transforming SJP from 36K to 52K too!

The current fat wanker is by far the worst owner we've ever had!

Not sure how anyone normal with a functioning brain can think Shepherd or Hall were worse owners than Ashley. I would seek immediate help or a very high cliff, as they need help of some kind.

McKeag, Hall / Shepherd, Ashley are all as guilty as each other for using NUFC as their personal cash cow. The level of money raped from the coffers is commensurate with the money coming into the club over that time.