Newcastle United 0-0 Fulham - 22/12/2018 - post match discussion from page 9

Greg

Guest neesy111

I looked at the clock and it said 57 minutes. I looked again about 15 minutes later and it said 58.

f***ing abysmal. Did we register a shot on target?

Nope.

There is a lack of creativity in the middle. The only creative player we have there is Ki, who can’t create anything near the goal, like Shelvey he’s got to be a bit deeper to get his passes away. We don’t even have anyone who can run at the opposition centrally, hence why people think we should try Kenedy or Murphy there. If we had that today then I think they would have crumbled, as it was they were happy to have their 3 CB’s crowd out Rondon whenever a ball was played into the box.

This is my problem with Diame and Perez in a nutshell. Someone needs to be the central link between Rondon and our CBs/deep playmaker. Far too often they just go missing and don't try and find space in the middle. When playing against teams set to not concede, our wingers aren't going to beat a doubled up fullback/wing pair and Rondon isn't Crouch/Carroll/Dzeko and able to win aerial balls against 3 CBs.

Unless someone tries to get the ball in front of the opposition defence and create that defence splitting pass, we won't create any chances.

Cabaye used to be good at it, but we never found anyone else since him who can do it. Shelvey should be able to do it, but for some reason he stays far too deep and relies solely on 70 yard Hollywood passes.

It's something Rafa really needs to work out. We can hit teams on the break, but against teams set to defend (like when teams visit SJP) we just can't seem to break down a deep 4/5 with a screening midfield.

Guest neesy111

What a game for Haydn's 18th :lol:

Feel more sorry for the lad that was over from Bahrain.  Enough to put you off ever watching us again.

Need Shelvey back as soon as possible to try and get some creativity in the middle of the pitch - even in poor form he s the only player at the club who gives us that creative spark. Diame needs to fuck off as he is a total liability. The wingers this season have been a joke and the lack of quality crosses ino the box has been criminal. This is then further compounded by the full backs who virtually give nothing going forward.

Nobody even attempts to get in the box when we are on the attack making it very easy for the opposing team to defend. 7 goals in 9 home games is fucking abysmal and someting needs to change as it's clearly not working at home. We have paid over 20 million for 2 players who are not getting a look in. There is no pace in that team apart from Atsu (who is an incredibly limited player). The fact that we did not have one shot against a team who has leaked goals for fun this afternoon is totally unaceptable.

Think .com in their match report summed it up exactly -

"A miserable record of just seven points from a possible 30 at St. James' Park this season points to ongoing and significant problems that are literally close to home.

We simply cannot play here; there is nobody willing or able to take the initiative, no guile and no pace. Our progress remains ponderous, almost glacial at times.

This side is far more suited to away games, when the onus is on the opposition make the play, allowing us to react accordingly as submissive partners.

There's no "fear factor" that is inhibiting the players in terms of negative crowd reaction either, at least today.

Support to the team in the second half was loud and unlike the previous home game when ironic applause accompanied the departure of Ayoze Perez, the equally inept Christian Atsu was applauded off here.

This may be another point nearer safety, but verged on the unwatchable at times, especially attempts to play the ball around and out of our area that verged on the comical when they weren't self-destructive."

People are surprised/disappointed we couldn't even manage a shot on target against the worst defence in the league

Which is a fair point, but we are certainly one of the worst sides in the league for attacking threat so things even out I suppose?

All in all both us and Fulham will be vying for the drop come May. (save a miracle in January re MA etc)

We have some likeable players (particularly in defence) but our fret is dull and lacklustre to say the least.

Dubravka - 3 - nowt to do and still was crap.  I was fuming at him.

Manquillo - 4 - Basically a Manquillo performance.

Dummett - 7- Good.

Shar - 2 - Awful.  Both defending and contribution.

Lascelles - 7 Good.

Richie - 4 - Poor.

Atsu - 6 - Did ok..

Diame - 6 - Did some great stuff then messed up a lot.  Probably a 7 really.

Ki - 7 - Miles ahead of anyone on our team.  Made to look poor due to our useless team.

Perez - 7 - The lad works his socks off ( I know).

Rincon - 6 - Totally isolated.  Feel a bit sorry for him that he has no sidekick.

Rafa - 3 - It kills me to give that score but he was useless today.

My honest opinions, feel free to comment.

Rincon - 6 - Totally isolated.  Feel a bit sorry for him that he has no sidekick.

If the problem is that Rincon is isolated, surely the blame lies with Perez, who should be playing off him, and Diame who should be the next player in to support?

If the problem is that Rincon is isolated, surely the blame lies with Perez, who should be playing off him, and Diame who should be the next player in to support?

I try so hard not to be a spelling Nazi, but you people make it really difficult. :(

Just seen MOTD and i thought our pen claim was gonna be more blatent than that, i'd be annoyed if it was given against us.

Lascelles was handball but ball to hand.

Maybe the ref got both right.

Disagree with that one mind, his arm moves towards the ball.

Just seen MOTD and i thought our pen claim was gonna be more blatent than that, i'd be annoyed if it was given against us.

Lascelles was handball but ball to hand.

Maybe the ref got both right.

Disagree with that one mind, his arm moves towards the ball.

To be fair, it didn't show a close up of either, you may be right.